1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How to show the full episode description when it's cut off with ...?

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by warrenn, Dec 6, 2018 at 9:43 AM.

1. warrenn

warrenn Active Member

Jun 24, 2004
    Tivoverse
    If an episode description is too long, it is truncated and ends with .... On the screen it says to press Select to get more info, but that still doesn't show the full description. It may have an extra word or two, but it still ends with ....

Here's an example. When watching TV, I press Info to bring up the title screen that fills the lower half of the TV. The partial description is shown, and it says "Press SELECT to explore or record this show". I press Select, and it comes up with the screen about the episode with a bit more of the description and at the bottom are the three options to Record, OnePass, and Explore. But the description is still cut off. If I press Explore, it goes to a screen about Exploring the whole series rather than the specific show I was looking at.

So what's the secret to being able to see the full episode descrip... :)

2. JoeKustra

JoeKustra in the other Alabama TCF Club

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    I don't know if it's a secret, but here's what works for this example:
    The Big Bang Theory, CBS 12/6, 8pm
    In Guide hit OK/S
    Hit OnePass & other options
    Hit Info
    Back/Left out.
    Full description. Always look for the Info tag up top.

PSU_Sudzi and skypros like this.
  3. sar840t2

sar840t2 Member

Mar 1, 2003
    Edmonds,...
    You could start to record it the show, then go to the entry in My Shows, hit Info, then hit Info for more info.

Pretty convoluted :D

4. warrenn

warrenn Active Member

Jun 24, 2004
    Tivoverse
    Thanks for the tips. It's great to be able to get to the full description. I hadn't noticed that some of the screens had the Info button at the top. I'll look for that in the future.

5. JoeKustra

JoeKustra in the other Alabama TCF Club

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    TiVo has added more text (and less metatdata) to program descriptions with TE4, so there are fewer reasons to use the Info button.

6. Furmaniac

Furmaniac Active Member

Apr 3, 2018
    When watching live TV, when you press info there's a choice that says 'more info'. Pressing info again on that screen shows an entire description and cast.
    Nothing on TiVo is very well-designed!

7. Mikeguy

Mikeguy Well-Known Member

Jul 28, 2005
    Personally, I think that many things are. But there also are some convolutions. o_O

aaronwt likes this.
  8. warrenn

warrenn Active Member

Jun 24, 2004
    Tivoverse
    Finally! I guess I'll need to update one day.

I still wonder why they cut off the description in the first place. In the first info screen, there is a ton of empty space between the truncated description at the top and the action items at the bottom. The could easily have another 5 lines of description right in that first info screen. Maybe the short description limit was leftover from the SD Tivo interface.