How to set up keep-only-the-most-recent-episode-only?

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by dswtan, Sep 24, 2007.

1. dswtan

dswtan New Member

Sep 16, 2007
    Our previous cable DVR (Comcast) had the nice feature that we could set up a recording that only kept the most recently shown episode for a series. This was perfect for news shows such as BBC World News on BBC America, where we'd always have the most recent episode on the DVR at any time -- this show is shown multiple times a day since it is an up-to-date newscast.

We tried to do this on Tivo (HD) with a season pass and setting first run only, and I thought setting "1 episode" would constant erase the kept episode with the new episodes as they came in. But no, it records once, and then never records the subsequent episodes -- I want to constantly update the recorded episode.

So the workaround is to keep "All episodes" -- this works of course, but you end up having to manually delete all the episodes you don't want, up to the most recent episode. This is a pain. I want the box to do this housekeeping for me.

Suggestions welcome. Thanks!

Stewart.

2. pdhenry

pdhenry Recumbent

Feb 27, 2005
    PA
    You also need to have the setting "Keep Until: Space needed" rather than "Keep Until I Delete"

We have a couple of news shows with Keep At Most = 1 and Keep Until Space Needed and it works the way you want to.

The other thing we've done with the BBC news is to use a Manual Recording to get only the 7 PM edition - this way it's not switching over to BBC several times a day.

3. dswtan

dswtan New Member

Sep 16, 2007
    Great! Yes, those settings and Show Type: All (with duplicates) seems to do the trick for our needs (we don't mind it recording everything, since I always want the latest news on the box). Thanks for your help!

In summary:
    - Keep At Most: 1 episode
    - Show Type: All (with duplicates)
    - Keep Until: Space Needed

4. ZikZak

ZikZak Neurostim Addict

Aug 12, 2002
    Arecibo, PR
    You don't need All With Duplicates for this.

5. Laserfan

Laserfan Member

Apr 25, 2000
    USA
    Stewart thanks for your post--it's never occurred to me to use the Tivo for this!!! :eek:

:up: :D