How to set up a season pass just for repeat showings?

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by Breadfan, Jun 17, 2011.

1. Breadfan

Breadfan Member

Jan 7, 2008
    Fort Smith, AR
    I would like some help. I tried setting up a season pass for a show coming on Sunday night ("Falling Skies"). In the first slot there is already something else recording so I get a message saying one or more of my shows may be clipped.
    I checked and the new show is one that they will be repeating several times.
    I try to set up a season pass for one of the repeat showings but I keep getting the same message and it keeps wanting to record the first showing (the one with conflicts).

How can I set up a season pass to record, say, just the second airing of the show every week?

2. orangeboy

orangeboy yes, I AM orangeboy!

Apr 19, 2004
    East Moline, IL
    I don't think you have to do anything. Since the TiVo knows that it couldn't record the first showing, it will attempt to record the second showing on it's own.

3. Breadfan

Breadfan Member

Jan 7, 2008
    Fort Smith, AR
    The problem is when I set the season pass I have to make a choice whether to go ahead and clip the existing shows or cancel the season pass. If I tell it to go ahead it shows in my To Do list as clipping a show.

4. scandia101

scandia101 Just the facts ma'am

Oct 20, 2007
    MN, greater...
    Add enough padding so that when there is overlap that would record it but clip it, it won't get recorded because the overlap is too much. Then the next airing will be recorded.

5. Jonathan_S

Jonathan_S Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2001
    Northern...
    IIRC with clipping enabled you'd need at least a 5 minute overlap before TiVo will switch from clipping the airing to just attempting to record the next one.

(Or just turn off clipping, but that may be too drastic a solution for you)

6. agredon

agredon New Member

Jul 26, 2011
    Florida
    TiVo should add an option when creating season passes: Clip or Cancel (Record Later Showing if available).

7. unitron

unitron Well-Known Member

Apr 28, 2006
    semi-coastal NC
    Set up the season pass to record all of the showings of a particular show (make sure you looked at all of the availible options, one of them hides) then go into the to do list and cancel just the particular airing that conflicts with the other show you want to record that doesn't repeat a few times during the week.

8. scandia101

scandia101 Just the facts ma'am

Oct 20, 2007
    MN, greater...
    Unless something has changed recently, not a good idea. When you manually choose to cancel a season pass recording, the Tivo will not reschedule the recording for a later airing. You've essentially told tivo "don't record this" so it won't.

9. unitron

unitron Well-Known Member

Apr 28, 2006
    semi-coastal NC
    You set up the season pass to record every airing of the show, then tell it to cancel that one airing that conflicts with something else. The choice includes "cancel only this recording".

Of course you need to remember to delete or cancel the dupes to conserve hard drive space.

10. [NG]Owner

[NG]Owner Member

Dec 19, 2006
    Kansas City
    When you put a new entry into Tivo, you have a choice to make it either the most important entry in the Season Pass List, or the least important entry in that list. That's it.

What you want is to put it somewhere in the middle. That's a manual thing using the Season Pass Manager. So select either one, Clip/Cancel my other shows, or Record as Displayed (it doesn't matter), then go into the Season Pass Manager and move the new entry to somewhere in the middle, which is where it needs to be.

Problem solved.

[NG]Owner

11. lpwcomp

lpwcomp Well-Known Member

May 6, 2002
    John's...
    I have turned off overlap protection and I organize my season passes so that anything that is not repeated is a higher priority than things that are repeated.

12. Toob_Sox

Toob_Sox New Member

Jun 17, 2010
    You're talking about one show. One. So just "find" the show and it's future airings, then select the show that doesn't conflict with anything (early AM or something) and be done with it. You are overthinking this.

13. lpwcomp

May 6, 2002
    John's...
    And then he will have to do it every week. Sorta defeats the purpose of having a season pass.

14. millie

millie New Member

Jul 28, 2011
    How can I set up a season pass to record, say, just the second airing of the show every week?[/QUOTE]

You can try one of two things ...

1) Check the times your desired show repeats, choose one, and set it up as a manual repeating recording at that time. Then be sure that manual recording is BELOW the other conflicting shows on the Season Pass Manager list.

2) Set up a Season Pass as you would any other. Then put it at the bottom of the Season Pass Manager list BELOW the other shows it would conflict with. Tivo should then find it and record when there's no conflict.

15. lpwcomp

May 6, 2002
    John's...
    The problem the OP is having is that if overlap protection is on and there is only an overlap and not a complete conflict, the lower priority show will get clipped rather than recording a subsequent showing.