How to send recorded shows to computer?

Discussion in 'DirecTV TiVo Powered PVRs & Receivers' started by brianworkman, Jul 28, 2005.

1. brianworkman

brianworkman New Member

Jul 28, 2005
    I am sorry for this newbie question, but does anyone know of a PC utlitiy or program that allows you to use the "save to vcr" option to move saved shows to my computer (the reason for this is to save to a dvd or vcd instead of a vcr tape).

2. Dkerr24

Dkerr24 Lost in Big Bend

Oct 28, 2004
    Okla, USA
    all you need is a video card with RCA input jacks. My ATI 'All-in-Wonder' Radeon card has those input jacks. Just run the RCA cables from the DTivo to the pc and 'save to vcr'.

Instead of piping it to a pc first, why not just buy a stand-alone DVD recorder and send the shows directly to DVD disc?

3. brianworkman

brianworkman New Member

Jul 28, 2005
    Thanks, that makes since. Unfortunately, I don't have rca-in on my laptop. I have rca-out, maybe I can find an usb-external tuner though.

The reason I don't want to buy a stand alone dvd burner is that I plan on getting a Windows Media Center by Christmas hopefully. If I bought a DVD burner, my wife would crush me getting another toy, so no media center.

4. Brewer4

Brewer4 New Member

May 6, 2004
    Connecticut
    Hauppauge makes a decent USB tuner called WinTV-PVR-USB2 . I have one and works pretty well on a laptop.

http://www.hauppauge.com/pages/products/data_pvrusb2.html

5. DPMGR39

DPMGR39 Addicted To Tivo

May 21, 2005
    Georgia
    Brian, I have heard alot of people say that have media center PC's, that they can not record movies from HBO and stuff. While most people with standalone DVD recorders do not have these issues, at least not right now.

6. ebonovic

ebonovic has gone his way...

Jul 24, 2001
    Tinley...
    For around $100 you can get a USB based Video Caputre device (Plextor makes one that is DiVX 6 compatibile) and Dazzle has one as weel..

That will capture both the video and audio from Analog connections.

7. Paladin369

Paladin369 New Member

Apr 11, 2004
    Westfield, MA
    WOW, what great advice, I learn so much from you guys.
    I have the DirecTV DVR R10, brand new, also have the Plextor PX AV100U Digital Video Converter with USB hooked up th my PC and the R10. When I click onto save to VCR, it play the show I want to save, but it does give me an option on WHERE TO SAVE IT TOO? I have a folder all set for it, how do I point the show to the proper folder?
    Thank you

8. mwarner

mwarner New Member

Dec 12, 2000
    North Carolina
    You have to go into the software you got with the Plextor and 'capture' the video to your hard drive.

-Matt

9. madisn

madisn New Member

May 31, 2003
    Brian, (and anyone else) I have been playing with USB TV Tuners and capture cards for the last two weeks. I got a new Dtivo (since its free and all) and hooked up my old one to the computer. Here's what I can tell you from my own experiance.

ATI TV Wonder USB2 - $89 - Nice but a pan in the butt to set up. Requires High Speed USB 2.0. I knew going into this tuner that people were having a lot of install issues. Turns out you can add me to the list. Even with the updated drivers and software off the ATI site it was not a lot of fun. The only way I was able to get this to work was to drop the speed of my USB ports to std usb 2.0 (12mbs) - install the software out of the box (let software fail to see box) - install updated software in the EXACT order listed on their site (again let software put up warning that USB ports are too slow), then increase the usb speed and let software re-detect. This worked fine for about 6 hours - LOVED IT. Then I watched a DVD on my computer and when I went back to the ATI TV I had no sound from Live TV. I could record and playback with sound - but none from live TV. So Back to reinsatll - didn't work - no video or sound. I gave up. In the short time I was able to play with this I loved it - great picture, easy to use. Quality wise this was by far the best USB tuner I tried - but only when it works....

Hauppage Win TV PVR USB2 - Okay, I was going to get the normal Win TV USB 2 (No PVR) but CompUSA left up some older sale tags on the $149 PVR unit so I got it for the sale price of $99. This is an external MPG hardware decoder - and is very easy to set up and install - No problems at all. Because the video is encoded in MPEG before it gets to your system (adjustable settings for CBR VBR etc) there is a little motion blur and slight pixelation. The quality is not as good as the ATI - but it is much less of a headache. User friendly, this was the second best in quality, and 1st in ease of setup.

Pinnacle USB 100E Tuner - 129.95 - I tried this on a whim since I use a lot of pinnacle video editing products. It was easy to install and all, but the quality was lacking - seemed to have a lag of its own and there was excessive motion blur. Not the best choice.

Dazzle Video capture - (Currently Testing - but so far it is okay)

If you can handle the headaches of driver issues and get the ATI USB 2.0 to work - it is the best in tuner cards and worth the $89 - I think a good capture card will work out the absolute best but I am still playing so not quite sure.

10. bagman

bagman New Member

Apr 19, 2004
    Virginia
    I just bought a DVD recorder (LVW-5005X, from Lite-on IT Corp,) for about $135 US. I got it mainly to transfer movies from my video cam to DVD, but today I hooked it up to the DirecTivo, and it works like a charm. You can write a full hour program onto a cheap CD---haven't tried writing to a DVD yet---and you can do it live or by playing a Tivo recording. Seems to me that's a lot easier than going through all the mess of loading it on your computer first, then writing to a DC/DVD. Just my 2 cents.

11. sda3

sda3 TiVo Fanatic

Jun 29, 2004
    SLC, UT
    I used to record shows through my ATI all-in-wonder card for about a year, i got to the point that it was such a pain to do it that things started piling up on my tivo that i wanted to put on DVD. It takes so much more time to record it to computer and then encode and burn it to DVD. It works great, but It takes too long. About 2 months ago i started looking on ebay and found a philips DVD recorder that i got for $60 after shipping. It works perfectly. Then I saw I lite-on DVD recorder and I got it for $35. I put it in my other room and now i can record from both tivos and i spent less that $100. It is much faster and I actually record stuff off my TIVO now. My advice is find a cheap on on ebay. Just be careful and read to make sure it is working.

12. Dale Sorel

Dale Sorel Two Girls and a boy!

Dec 26, 2001
    On the...
    Any DV camcorder will also be able to get your shows into a computer.

13. ninjadvr

ninjadvr New Member

Aug 18, 2005
    Thanks for all the info above - just want to check I'm on the same page. I have a DirecTV Samsung DVR and it has the "save to VCR" function. I know I can come "out" of the Samsung with RCA or S-Video and that the Samsung will send to whatever (DVD recorder or VCR) that is plugged in so that's no problem there.

I have a DVD burner on my new Sony T-Series notebook. Does anyone know if I would be able to record directly onto DVD by patching into the notenook via USB or another connection? Or would I have to save to hard disk (presuming I can patch into the notebook) and then burn to DVD?

So...short question: how to record from my DirecTV Samsung DVR to my Sony T370 notebook with a DVD burner?

Thanks!

14. Hodaka

Hodaka New Member

Mar 12, 2005
    Rolla, MO
    generally you save to the harddisk using capture software of some kind, edit the video if you want, and then burn..

15. JimSpence

JimSpence Just hangin'

Sep 19, 2001
    Binghamton, NY
    The DirecTV DVRs do not have the USB ports enabled, so that method is unavailable.

16. ninjadvr

ninjadvr New Member

Aug 18, 2005
    Thanks Hodaka and JimSpence.

Well, I do see the USB ports on the back of the Samsung DVR and will double-check it since it doesn't have a cover or any lable over it saying it's not activated like it does for the digital audio o/p, but take your word for it that it doesn't work. I was thinking more whether it would be possible to go from RCA to USB or S-Video to USB or firewire or similar - or - do I have to get something like a video capture card with RCA inputs like I see on this thread earlier?

17. madisn

madisn New Member

May 31, 2003
    Yes, you can go from either RCA or SVideo to USB or Firewire

You dont have to have a video capture card, a video transport cable will do the same as long as you have capture software - (ie Dazzle DVC80) this will enable you to go to the usb or firewire ports whereas a with a card you would run the cables directly to the card.

A card would be preferd, even more so if you have a slower system since it usually has it's own encoding. With just an adapter your computer does all the encoding.

A "tuner" card has additional software for receiving cable / over the air TV.

18. ninjadvr

ninjadvr New Member

Aug 18, 2005
    Thanks Madsin,

I dropped by BestBuy and picked up a Dazzle DVC90, an upgrade over the DVC80 adapter. It also includes video capture sofware Pinnacle, etc. although I have DVDGate included in the Sony package of software that came with my T-series notebook. I've been too busy to set it up and get it working quite yet but it appears I have everything I need. Another cool product I've seen is Hauppauge Computer Works' WinTV-PVR (USB2.0) but since I have an external display with a built in TV tuner already I don't think I need that at the moment. I'll give an update when I get the Dazzle DVC 90 working. Thaks again.

19. rbrown3rd

rbrown3rd Dedicated DTivo'er

Oct 23, 2001
    West Palm...
    I have tried all of these methods over the last couple of years. Now, the simplest solution for me is a stand alone Sony DVD recorder connected to my series 1 DVR via S-Video. The quality of the DVDs is more than satisfactory and most people cannot tell them from the original. I used to jump through all kinds of hoops to get the files captured onto my PC so I could edit them, convert them, and burn them to a DVD. Now I just hit record to VCR on my Tivo and hit record on my DVDR and that is that. Maybe I like the simple method because I am just tired of doing all of the PC processing to make a DVD.

20. JimSpence

JimSpence Just hangin'

Sep 19, 2001
    Binghamton, NY
    I also use a standalone DVD recorder. If there is a show I want edit, I rip the video from the DVD and put it into my PC, edit, and reburn.