How to sell a tivo with lifetime service

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by brewcrewfan, May 8, 2015.

1. brewcrewfan

brewcrewfan Member

Jun 27, 2010

Advertisements

I want to sell two series 3 tivos that both have lifetime service. Do i need to do anything with the access key or online on my account or do I simply list them on ebay? Once the buyer gets it do they re register it to there account?

2. BigJimOutlaw

BigJimOutlaw Well-Known Member

Mar 21, 2004
    When I sell a box, I ask them for the name and email address on their Tivo account.

I then contact Tivo with their information and they transfer the box to their account.

Piece of cake.

If you want to be nice, do a "Clear and Delete Everything" so they are working with a clean slate.

3. Dan203

Dan203 Super Moderator Staff Member TCF Club

Apr 17, 2000
    Nevada
    As long as they are in a different zip code then you then you don't really need to do anything. If they repeat guided setup with the same zip code on their account, and different zip code then what's on your account, then TiVo will typically take that as enough proof that the TiVo is in their possession and allow them to transfer it. But if you want to be proactive you can call or chat with them and they can flag the TiVo as sold which will also tell the CSR the new owner is talking to that it's OK to transfer.

4. brewcrewfan

brewcrewfan Member

Jun 27, 2010
    Thank you for the answers.

This may be a dumb question: i like the clean and delete option as its open for the owner to register but when they add it to there account how will Tivo know it has a lifetime service?

5. Dan203

Dan203 Super Moderator Staff Member TCF Club

Apr 17, 2000
    Nevada

Advertisements

The serial number of the box is tied to lifetime service on their servers. The SN is stored on a special chip attached to the mother board, not stored on the hard drive. You could completely replace the hard drive and lifetime would still follow the box. (that's how people are able to do upgrades)