How to schedule a recording on another networked TiVo

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by davestein115, Dec 3, 2020.

1. davestein115

davestein115 New Member

Jul 30, 2016

Advertisements

I've reached out to TiVo on this issue and they have advised it is impossible, but I know I've seen it happen.

The question is how I can schedule a recording on another TiVo device on my network (all Bolt+ running TE3) from a TiVo (I know I can do it from the app, but I generally don't use the app). I've seen it happen and recently came across one instance where I figure out WHY it my TiVo was offering to record a OnePass on a device other than the one I was using.

I have a OnePas scheduled to record a syndicated program that airs on two channels set to record only one of those two channels. As a news conference interrupted the recording earlier in the day, I wanted to program the show to record from the other channel where it broadcast later in the day. When I set it to record, the confirmation from TiVo popped up to indicate, for reasons I don't understand, that it would record the program on a different box. I played around and scheduled another OnePass and, likewise, I was told it would schedule the recording on a different box.

I played around and was streaming a show from a different box. When I clicked on a show on the guide to record, it scheduled to record on the box I was using, but when i tried to schedule it as a OnePass, it scheduled the OnePass on the box I was previously streaming from (the stream stopped when I selected the OnePass option).

In these cases, there is no conflict on the boxes I'm using. That said, I wish that TiVo would implement what ReplayTV had years ago - when there was a conflict (with the two tuners) the system would offer to record the conflicting program on a different box.

Does anyone have an understanding of how the TiVo software determines when to record programming on another TiVo device? I know that the selection is easy with a Mini, but TiVo insists, despite my experience, that there is no way to set up a recording on a TiVo box from another TiVo box.

2. JoeKustra

JoeKustra in the other Alabama TCF Club

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    Simple answer:
    On device 1, in My Shows, go to Device 2.
    Hit Guide
    Hit Enter (not Select)
    You should see the Search box display with the name of the box displayed.
    Search for the Program
    Find the Program and set the recording.
    You will get a stupid message that the recording has started. Ignore.
    Back out.
    Too simple?

3. kpeters59

kpeters59 Well-Known Member

Jun 19, 2007
    Houston, Texas
    Use the App?

Use KMTTG?

-KP

4. JoeKustra

JoeKustra in the other Alabama TCF Club

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    Or TiVo Online.

kpeters59 likes this.
  5. davestein115

davestein115 New Member

Jul 30, 2016

Advertisements

Thanks

Thanks for the explanation. The Enter vs Select is helpful.

I find that I want to do this generally when there is a conflict, or when I see a program in the guide that I want to record on another box, and thus using Tivo online or the app makes no sense when I've got a Tivo remote in hand.

Much thanks.

JoeKustra likes this.
  6. davestein115

davestein115 New Member

Jul 30, 2016
    Thanks to a good start from JoeKustra, I was able to figure out this way to enable recording on a remote box via the TiVo Guide:

1. Using the My Shows menu, navigate to the TiVo on which you want to record a program.
    2. Press the Guide button and navigate to the program you want to record.
    3. Press the OK button on the program, which brings up the menu Record this episode, OnePass & other options, or Explore this show.
    4. Choose One Pass & other options and press the OK button. if you simply choose Record it will record on the local box.
    5. At this point, you should have an icon at the top of the screen that shows the name of the remote box, and you have the option to record that episode or create a OnePass which will be recorded on the remote box.

Thanks Joe for giving me a good start on sorting this out.