1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How to Rollback Hydra from Roamio and Mini's v1

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by BadCommand, Nov 2, 2017.

1. Nov 2, 2017 #1 of 341
    BadCommand

BadCommand New Member

May 22, 2014
    So after spending an excruciating 3 days with the Hydra UI on my Roamio and 6 Mini's (and with nasty family feedback), I posted the request to rollback on the Tivo forum site. I was sent a message to contact Tivo support directly to find out how. Tivo support was very helpful and gave me the following instructions which they OK'd for forum posting. KEEP IN MIND YOU WILL LOSE EVERYTHING!!!

For the Roamio:
    1.) Go into Menu- Help- Reset to Defaults- Repeat Guided Setup- Select
    2.) Press Thumbs Down 2 times (NOT 3!), now press Rewind 2 times, Now press Select (not Enter)
    3.) Roamio will immediately go to that right arrow screen, then screen blank, then you'll get a message letting you know that the rollback process has begun

All in all, the rollback didn't take more than 10-15 minutes HOWEVER once complete and finished Guided Setup on the Roamio, if you have a MOCA Mini network, you'll want to go straight into the Roamio and enable the MOCA Bridge option right away before the Roamio dials back in a 2nd time as that process tied up the Change Network Settings option for a couple hours in my case (YMMV)!

For the Mini's v1 (but I'd guess v2 is the same). Also note, I waited til the Roamio had completely rolled back and I completed Guided Setup before starting this process:
    1.a.) Go to Menu- Help- Repeat Guided Setup- press Thumbs Down 3 times and press Enter. OR
    1.b.) You'll already see the "downgrade" screen and it will prompt you from there.
    2.) You'll now see the "old" Guided Setup. Go thru that so the Mini can phone home.
    3.) The Mini will phone home and prompt you once again to go thru Guided Setup.
    4.) After the 2nd Guided Setup completion, you should be back in business
    5.) Congrats- You've just wasted a better part of a day!
    Note: Each time I went thru Guided Setup, my Mini would fail to connect and I would get the Network Connection Error screen (N07). Simply waiting a second or two for the Mini (or Roamio) to gather itself and retrying solved the problem 100% of the time.

Overall, the reason the Hydra UI was such a non-starter for me is that the UI was just too sluggish on my entire system. I feel the code is just too heavy on the Roamio processor and I would guess it would be better on the Bolt. I found the lagginess caused me, and I'm being literal here, a bit of almost anxiousness and stress- it was just that poor performing. With that said, someone else did report they were happy with it on the OTA Roamio- I would guess that's due to the processor workload compared to my cablecard version.

Also- and this was just as important- for whatever the Replay button no longer functions as a alternative Back button. This was posted BEFORE I "upgraded" and I honestly wasn't sure just how critical that darn button was- it is VERY important- especially in the My Shows or anywhere the Tivo button is used. So, as currently laid out a new remote with Back is pretty much mandatory and at $45/each for 7 units- a purchase that I'm just not willing to invest in for something (a.) I felt could be easily overcome by leaving the back function intact, or allowing thru Setup, the remapping of a much less used button. And (b.) if I were going to go that route I would prefer to just apply the funds to purchase of units that were strong enough to carry the Hydra interface.

In summary- returning to the Good "Old" Interface has never felt like a better upgrade!

Hope this helps and Good Luck!

2. Nov 2, 2017 #2 of 341
    PSU_Sudzi

PSU_Sudzi Well-Known Member

Jun 4, 2015
    Philly suburbs
    I tested this last night for them and it worked on my Roamio Plus and Mini without a hitch, I’ve not said anything under double secret probation.

Live Guide—giddy up!

Nickipedia, ohboy710, Mikeguy and 2 others like this.
  3. Nov 2, 2017 #3 of 341
    TivoJD

TivoJD Active Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Polk County...
    Did this effect cable card pairing at all?

4. Nov 2, 2017 #4 of 341
    PSU_Sudzi

Jun 4, 2015
    Philly suburbs
    I have Comcast and had no issues with cable card—no changes to anything and premiums work ok.

BadCommand likes this.
  5. Nov 2, 2017 #5 of 341
    BadCommand

BadCommand New Member

May 22, 2014
    LOL- I made it clear to Tivo that I was going to post on this and their Tivo forums and the support tech gave the go ahead.

PSU_Sudzi likes this.
  6. Nov 2, 2017 #6 of 341
    BadCommand

BadCommand New Member

May 22, 2014
    No problems with Cox pairing either.

PSU_Sudzi likes this.
  7. Nov 2, 2017 #7 of 341
    PSU_Sudzi

Jun 4, 2015
    Philly suburbs
    TiVo Ted asked me to stay mum until a few more folks tested it and it seems like they had heard back there have been no issues.

BadCommand likes this.
  8. Nov 2, 2017 #8 of 341
    jackstoker

jackstoker Member

Jul 31, 2017
    Was there a stern warning about loosing everything, including all RECORDINGS?

PSU_Sudzi likes this.
  9. Nov 2, 2017 #9 of 341
    PSU_Sudzi

Jun 4, 2015
    Philly suburbs
    Yes there was for me and I was OK with it; only had a couple of shows and backed up one passes, thumbs, channels, etc. with kmttg.

jackstoker likes this.
  10. Nov 2, 2017 #10 of 341
    ajwees41

ajwees41 Well-Known Member

May 7, 2006
    Omaha,NE
    did you lose recordings?

11. Nov 2, 2017 #11 of 341
    BadCommand

BadCommand New Member

May 22, 2014
    Just the usual warning, The tech made it clear, but I had known that from the minute I signed up as the losing everything fact, as well as the Back button fact are posted on the signup page and I believe on the acknowledgement screens prior to Hydra install.

PSU_Sudzi likes this.
  12. Nov 2, 2017 #12 of 341
    midas

midas I heard that

Jun 1, 2000
    Montgomery,...
    Were you able to restore your passes?

PSU_Sudzi likes this.
  13. Nov 2, 2017 #13 of 341
    jackstoker

jackstoker Member

Jul 31, 2017
    TiVo_Ted should really come here, and elsewhere, to make this official (not that I don't trust everyone here)!

14. Nov 2, 2017 #14 of 341
    PSU_Sudzi

Jun 4, 2015
    Philly suburbs
    Yes I added back all my one passes, thumb ratings, and custom channel list via kmttg. I only had two recordings on it before the reset and had backed them up too but I got an error transferring them back from pyTivo and will just watch them on demand.

15. Nov 2, 2017 #15 of 341
    PSU_Sudzi

Jun 4, 2015
    Philly suburbs
    Yes it totally wipes it and sets you back to guided setup as if it were brand new.

16. Nov 2, 2017 #16 of 341
    krkaufman

krkaufman TDL shepherd

Nov 25, 2003
    Any similar process for BOLTs?

17. Nov 2, 2017 #17 of 341
    hammer32

hammer32 TiVo Combat Crew

Jul 4, 2001
    North America
    Thank you for posting the instructions.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

18. Nov 2, 2017 #18 of 341
    PSU_Sudzi

Jun 4, 2015
    Philly suburbs
    My guess is it would be similar, if you have a Bolt you could try to start the reset using codes above and see if it gets it going (there are prompts before it’s erased so you can back out).

19. Nov 3, 2017 #19 of 341
    Mikeguy

Mikeguy Well-Known Member

Jul 28, 2005
    Good point. I just assumed that it would be the same, but would be nice to see it confirmed (or not).

20. Nov 3, 2017 #20 of 341
    TiVo_Ted

TiVo_Ted Well-Known Member

Oct 3, 2000
    Pleasanton,...
    Yes, this is the downgrade process I had asked a couple of people to try before posting. I guess the testing is done! I really really really hope people understand that by doing this you will lose everything on your box - recordings, OnePasses, preferences. Everything! For those of you that still choose to roll back, I sincerely hope we’ll get you back. We are listening to your feedback and working on how to bring back some of the functionality you feel is missing in gen4.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

rdrrepair, JACKASTOR, cwerdna and 9 others like this.