How to resolve conflicts? Can one put years into wish lists? Need Advice...

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by TiVoEvan74, Jan 10, 2006.

1. TiVoEvan74

TiVoEvan74 Active Member

Sep 11, 2004
    OK, OC is now conflicting with CSI. So, we decided to give OC a higher priority to pick up its current run.

We would like to record any *2006* CSI: Crime Scene Investigations. We'd like to set things up so that all the CSIs that we'll miss this year because of OC are recorded.

Alas, putting 2006 into a keyword wish list doesn't work--it doesn't catch anything! Or at least, the various ways I tried it, didn't work.

If we just set a CSI SP to Repeats and First runs, we get gobs of CSIs because a local channel is broadcasting several years worth (back to 2001).

Any ideas of how to handle this situation? Especially gracefully, so that not lots of stuff gets recorded? Is there any way of setting a year in a wishlist or SP? Or a range of times, so that it won't record those middle of the night CSI broadcasts?

Any tips, tricks on wish lists or SPs to take care of this?

What do you do in such cases?

Any and all help appreciated!

2. dgh

dgh New Member

Jul 24, 2000
    If it's A local channel, and not the same channel, a season pass instead of a wish list would fix that.

3. TiVoEvan74

TiVoEvan74 Active Member

Sep 11, 2004
    Ah, that would be great and a good tip for future reference. In our case, alas, it's the same local channel that broadcasts the new ones and all the old ones!

Anything else up your sleeve would be welcome!

4. OLdDog

OLdDog Reformed Druid

Dec 15, 2001
    The year field is not part of the search for anything except movies.

You can get a result like using the year if the show has added an actor to the recuring cast and that actor is always in the credits. Just use a keyword WL with the title and the actor's name to get what you want.

I do not think CSI has an actor that fits that category however.

5. dgh

dgh New Member

Jul 24, 2000
    Set the other one to First Runs only?

6. gtrogue

gtrogue Mentally Hilarious

Jun 18, 2001
    Atlanta
    Bingo!

7. TiVoEvan74

TiVoEvan74 Active Member

Sep 11, 2004
    Please explain. Sorry for being dense, but which do I set to first runs only and how will that help me?

I think that will prevent me from ever recording the 2006 CSIs! Here's why... if I set it to first runs, it will miss them the first go around (conflict with OC), then when they come again as a repeat later in the year, they won't be recorded because the SP is "First Run".

Hmm... still looking for a solution to this. Right now, I've set up a wish list, with repeats, and am manually deleting everything that hasn't appeared in the CSI SP, first run only. But that's a bit of work...

8. MickeS

MickeS Active Member

Dec 26, 2002
    No, set "The OC" to First Run Only. That way it'll record OC when they are new, no matter if CSI is new or not, and it will record CSI when OC is not a first run. When the repeats of CSI comes on (in the summer or otherwise) it'll record CSI then.

Or am I misunderstanding what you want to do here?

EDIT: The problem with too many CSIs being recorded is not solved by the above though. I would suggest a repeating timer-recording to replace the CSI SP to get around it.... I wish there was a "Syndication" tag somewhere.

9. Shawn95GT

Shawn95GT Tivo, in HD!

Oct 7, 2005
    Phoenix, AZ
    I solved it by getting a #2 Tivo. Then NBC added 'My name is Earl' to the same timeslot - grrrr. I'm gonna have to catch Earl live or record it on my PC.

10. dgh

dgh New Member

Jul 24, 2000
    I was thinking the other other ;) Set CSI to FRU, and that will clobber all the repeats and then start showing the OC when CSI first runs run out.

Not the order you preferred but it gives you a clean TiVo at least.

11. TiVoEvan74

TiVoEvan74 Active Member

Sep 11, 2004
    Appreciate all the responses... you do understand my sit quite well.

You are right, making OC the lower priority would solve this, preventing lots of recordings...

We're already recording the 3 CSIs, which was why we thought OC would be better as higher priority. Plus that's a joint viewing, whereas my wife watches the CSIs. We figured giving OC top billing would be the way to go,for our together viewing time. She does prefer CSI classic to the "new" and "light" versions, however.

Well, we have two TiVos, but that didn't work either as we record My Name is Earl and The Office (and would like to record Crumbs to see what that's about).

Oh, gosh! It just occured to me... I could recable the VCR! Oh, no, going back to tapes, etc. But that would give us more options! Hmm... do I dare risk it before this evening? I can just see screwing it all up... and not TiVoing anything!

------
    Ah, just checked, tonight's CSI is a repeat, so I could fiddle with the VCR tomorrow or over the weekend. Though that won't get me the Crumbs premiere.