How to replace Hard Drive in HR10-250?

Discussion in 'DirecTV TiVo Powered PVRs & Receivers' started by Ballinger, Oct 29, 2010.

1. Ballinger

Ballinger New Member

Sep 8, 2008

Advertisements

I think my hard drive in on the fritz. The playback of recordings are choppy at times and it is rebooting more and more frequently.

How do I replace the hard drive? Any recommendations on the size drive to install?

2. whitepelican

whitepelican Member

Feb 14, 2005
    I'd recommend buying a 1TB SATA drive and a SATA-IDE adapter. Check out this thread on recommended adapters. You get a lot more bang for your buck by going with SATA drives nowadays. You can most likely get a 1TB drive for $50-$60 and a SATA-IDE adapter for $6 or so. I'd definitely recommend getting a Western Digital drive if drive noise is an issue for you. There's a possibility that you'd run into the "IntelliPark" issue, but there are easy ways around that. Check out the sticky thread on upgrading drives in the Series 3 forum here. It also gives a lot of good recommendations on drive types and the software you need for the upgrade. Just remember that the Series 3's use SATA drives natively and the HR10-250 doesn't.