How to repair the hard drive?

Discussion in 'DVD TiVo Units (Archive)' started by boyunah, Aug 20, 2007.

1. boyunah

boyunah New Member

Aug 20, 2007

Advertisements

Hi all,

My Tivo is a series 2 Humax with DVDR, model DRT400, not upgraded or modified. It is frozen on the welcome powering up screen. I understand from searching the forum that it is probably a problem with the hard drive, though I purchased it new only a year and a half ago! Anyway, I guess I will have to repair/replace the hard drive, but does anyone have any detailed set of directions on how to do so? I am a little computer literate but know nothing about upgrading or fixing computers. I'm trying to save myself from having to get a new machine and from having to spend a lot sending it in for repairs.

Please help!

Thanks.

2. Chester_Lampwick

Chester_Lampwick Well-Known Member

Jul 19, 2004
    Hamilton,...
    Okay, first take the drive out of the TiVo and install it in your PC. Run a diagnostic utility from that hard-drive manufacturer(likely Seagate) to see if it's actually damaged or just has corrupted software on it. The SMART utility on most PCs will detect a bad hard-drive while your computer boots up.

If it's a bad drive, the hard drive manufacturer may replace it. Maxtor for instance allows you to enter the serial number on their website to check warranty coverage status.

If the drive is bad you may want to get a disk image from StanSimmons on this forum or buy an instantcake from PTV upgrade for $20. Otherwise spend an extra $75 and upgrade to 300+ hrs buy buying a large IDE PATA drive from your local PC shop.

3. Generic

Generic Now in Dolby Digital

Dec 26, 2005
    SoCal
    If you are not that handy or don't want to go through the trouble of seeing if you have a bad drive then try http://www.weaknees.com/ for a drive replacement. All you have to do is install it and go through the setup process like it was brand new. They also have step by step install instructions. It is actually really easy.