How to reformat a DVR expander hard drive

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by pickanyone, May 31, 2009.

1. pickanyone

pickanyone New Member

Jan 25, 2008

Advertisements

I have a TIVO HD and an external dvr expander hard drive. The DVR expander accidentally gor unplugged. When I repluged it in the tivo refused to recognize it. So I have unpaired it from my tivo so that I can use the tivo.

However I assume that there is a good chance that the hard drive is OK, it's just the directory structure that got corrupted.

I am trying to work out how to use kickstart to reformat the dvr expander. Is this possible?

I am guessing that I should try a "58" first? The other option is to do a "62" but I am nervous this might reformat the primary drive instead of the external one.

thanks in advance for any help

2. windracer

windracer joined the 10k club

Jan 3, 2003
    St. Pete, FL
    If you've already unpaired it, you should be able to just connect it again and have the TiVo recognize the external drive. Then it will format it and start using it again.

If you want to run diagnostics on it, try a kickstart 54.

3. pickanyone

pickanyone New Member

Jan 25, 2008
    I tried just reconnecting the expander and the tivo does not know it's there. I had done a "54" initially and the expander "failed".

Any advice on whether a "57" or "58" is the way to proceed please?

thanks

4. windracer

windracer joined the 10k club

Jan 3, 2003
    St. Pete, FL
    So after re-connecting, if you look under Devices (Messages and Settings, Settings) and choose External Storage, it says a drive is not connected? It doesn't show up in System Information either?

If the kickstart doesn't see it either, it sounds like the drive is either dead or it's a bad cable connection. Make sure the cable is seated properly.

5. richsadams

richsadams Well-Known Member

Jan 4, 2003

Advertisements

Concur with Windracer...if your My DVR Expander failed KS54 and TiVo isn't recognizing it there's no use trying anything else (you wouldn't be able to try any other KS's in any case). Either the connection is bad (try another cable), the enclosure/bridge is bad (RMA) or the drive itself is bad (RMA).

You could try connecting it to a PC to run some diagnostics, but there's not much point. Time to replace it. Or you could upgrade the internal drive with a larger one and not have to worry about it any more. More info about eSATA drives and internal upgrades can be found by clicking on the link below my sig.

Best of luck!

P.S. Kickstart 62 was a hack for Series3's a couple of years ago and no longer works. More KS info here.

6. apexadam

apexadam Tivo Late Bloomer

Jun 4, 2008
    Tri-Cities WA.
    Old thread on this forum.
    I have a 2012 WD Tivo Expander that just failed to connect to the Roamio for the first time in December 2020. The drive still spins, the cable works (tested), the Tivo it was originally connected too and it is recognized it as a "new" drive, yet upon setup (reformat Tivo process) Tivo reports "failed to setup" The systems are old enough where Tivo is pointing to WD and WD is pointing to TIvo. All I want to know is how I can refresh/reformat/prep the working DVR expander by plugging it into a PC via e-SATA. Then I can plug it back into the Tivo and retry. How do I reformat the Expander using a PC in a manner where the Tivo will still recognize it (as it is currently doing)?

7. dianebrat

dianebrat wait.. I did what? TCF Club

Jul 6, 2002
    boston'ish
    Delete all the partitions, yes it's that easy.
    However it is strongly recommended you use Diskpart NOT the Disk Management GUI if you're using Windows.

8. lhvetinari

lhvetinari Watching telly, drinking wine - Lily Allen TCF Club

Jun 24, 2019
    Chicago
    Yep. Run these commands in this order to get it done

List disk
    Sel disk X (where X is the number of the disk that matches the WD capacity - either roughly 500 or 1000 GB). It'll be a higher number, since 0 is generally the boot disk)
    Clean
    Crea par pri