How to record only HD channels

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by Debbie25, Oct 3, 2007.

1. Oct 3, 2007 #1 of 13
    Debbie25

Debbie25 Member

Dec 9, 2002
    Oregon

Advertisements

I have a Tivo HD and also have the 2 comcast cable cards.

How do I tell Tivo to record a program on the HD channel instead of a regular channel?

Meaning....
    I do a search for "Survivor"
    It will show that it comes on both channels 06 and 706.
    So I select 706 but when I go to look at the 'View Upcoming Episodes' it will list both channels.

Then if I go into the 'Change recording options' and change it to 'First-run only' it will record both of them because they are both listed as first run.

How do you tell it to record only the one on 706 without having to manually go in and pick it?

2. Oct 3, 2007 #2 of 13
    morac

morac Cat God TCF Club

Mar 14, 2003
    NJ
    First off I'm assuming you created a Season Pass and not a wish list correct? If you choose to record on channel 706 and make it a season pass it should only record on channel 706.

The exception would be if the TiVo thinks both channels are the same in which case it will record on the channel with the lowest number that has the same exact station id. HD and SD stations should not have the same id.

If it still won't record HD, you have a few choices:
    1. Tell the TiVo you don't receive channel 6. It will then always record on channel 706.
    2. Create a Wish list for "Survivor" and specify HD only. The benefit of this is that it will also record future seasons of Survivor if they change the name.

3. Oct 3, 2007 #3 of 13
    bilbo

bilbo New Member

Dec 7, 2004
    my solution is to remove the SD version from the channel list if the channels show the same programming. this works pretty well for abc, nbc, cbs, fox, cw, tnt, espn, etc.

some channels do show different programming on their sd and hd channels -- discovery channel (sd) & discovery hd and/or hgtv (sd) & hgtv hd do this.

4. Oct 3, 2007 #4 of 13
    flightrisk

flightrisk New Member

Jul 25, 2001
    Does that work? Survivor isn't in HD, but presumably you'd want to record the HD feed. I didn't think non-HD programming on HD channels was tagged HD.

I really think Tivo should give preference to recording on HD channels. Especially suggestions which I have no control over. As with bilbo, I've deleted all SD versions of identical channels, but many are different (e.g., Food, PBS).

5. Oct 3, 2007 #5 of 13
    archaic0

archaic0 New Member

Jul 27, 2007

Advertisements

I have a different reciever, but this suggestion puzzled me. I actually haven't seen the problem in a while so maybe it was a software issue that has been fixed but at one time my Tivo was trying to record channels that I didn't receive.

I had taken the channels out of the list of chanels I received, and yet Tivo still tuned to them automatically and recorded for a hour, resulting in an empty video file that it didn't keep, but it still went through the motions of recording for that hour.

Anyone know if this in fact was a problem that was resolved?

6. Oct 3, 2007 #6 of 13
    jtown

jtown New Member

Sep 26, 2002
    Well, yeah. That's what View Upcoming Episodes is supposed to do. It shows you all of the upcoming episodes, not just the ones scheduled to be recorded or the ones specific to that channel.

It sounds like you've set up a Wishlist. I've seen this happen. Normal behavior for a Wishlist with a broad scope.

Set up a Season Pass for the show on channel 706. (And delete the Wishlist.) A season pass records a specific title on a specific channel. However, remember that you'll need to set up a new Season Pass for the next season of Survivor as it will have a new program ID.

In theory, if you wanted to be sure to catch only the HD version of a series that changes program IDs each season, you could set up a wishlist with the HD filter so it will ignore non-HD broadcasts that match the search criteria. However, Survivor is not broadast in HD so it would not be recorded by such a wishlist.

Which brings me to another point. If you're really recording Survivor, don't bother recording the HD channel. It's not an HD show. You're wasting a lot of space.

7. Oct 5, 2007 #7 of 13
    Debbie25

Debbie25 Member

Dec 9, 2002
    Oregon
    Ok, I double checked on this

I made sure I did not have a wishlist for Survivor.

Then I went to "Search by Title, All Programs, typed out 'Survivor' and it showed both 'Survivor: China' on Ch 6 and Ch 706.

I picked the Ch 706 and then "viewed upcoming episodes" and it lists both Ch. 6 and Ch 706 of the same episode.

I scrolled back 2 screens and picked the Ch. 6 and again it shows both channels for the same show.

I understand that 'Survivor' is not in HD but it listed the HD channel so I was using that show as an example.

I usually do setup a wishlist for 'Survivor' or that reason of the name change and then that remind me to go check on upcoming shows at times. Once the shows season has started I remove it and change it to a regular SP.

8. Oct 5, 2007 #8 of 13
    fredct

fredct Member

Nov 15, 2004
    NJ
    As I understand it, 'view upcoming episodes' will show episodes on all channels (I think).

But if you make a season pass for a specific channel, then it should only *record* the ones on the channel you selected. The ones scheduled to record, once you create the season pass, will have a check mark next to them.

9. Oct 5, 2007 #9 of 13
    Debbie25

Debbie25 Member

Dec 9, 2002
    Oregon
    OK, I will do that, thx

10. archaic0

archaic0 New Member

Jul 27, 2007
    That is how mine works as well (philips dsr7000 directv tivo receiver)

If I look in my season pass manager and view upcoming episodes for any of the shows there, I see shows on all channels. Only the channel I chose when I created the season pass will be recorded though.

I didn't really understand why they would show all the channels if it only was recording one channel, but I think it may be their way of allowing you to re-schedule after a conflict knocks out a scheduled showing maybe. You would have to manually come to the season pass and look at upcoming showings on other channels and manually checkmark one to record, but it would be faster than browsing the schedule for the repeat or searching another way.

11. fredct

fredct Member

Nov 15, 2004
    NJ
    I guess I see why it causes confusion sometimes, but I think of it as 'view upcoming episodes' of that show. Even though you happen to be going through a season pass for a specific channel. As you said, it allows you to see what's coming up just in case there's one on another channel you want to record.

At the same time, if the season pass is set for only 'first runs', but you do 'view upcoming episodes', should it only show you first runs? That'd start getting rather restrictive.

What they do instead is show you them all and then check-mark the ones that are set to be recorded. All things considered, that's probably the right choice.

12. archaic0

archaic0 New Member

Jul 27, 2007
    Yeah, I agree that I can't think of a 'better' way to do all that. It's just not 100% intuitive at first.

The confusion point for me at first was that I had to make 2 season passes for one show that was on 2 channels even though the 'view upcoming' showed both channels under one pass.

The only thing that I think I would change with the season pass screens is to add the number of showings set to record where is says xx upcoming episodes. Something like "12 upcoming showings, 4 set to record" would have helped me a couple times.

13. archaic0

archaic0 New Member

Jul 27, 2007
    Of course, another season pass related upgrade that would be good is to take notes from DirecTV DVRs with their conflict resolution.

I don't know if it's just my model of Tivo, but when I try to schedule a 3rd program for a particular time slot, it only allows me to cancel the highest priority of the previous 2 programs. I understand the logic behind this, but most times I never even pay attention to the priority because things aren't overlapping.

My DirecTV DVR asks me which of the previous 2 I want to replace with the new one and that system is much better IMO.