How To Record One Channel And Watch Another With Cable Box

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by UKHOOPS, Jan 13, 2006.

1. UKHOOPS

UKHOOPS New Member

Jan 7, 2006

Advertisements

I have an humax 80hr w/dvd and I want to be able to record the cable channels over channel 99 which require a digital box. Like if want to record speed channel 101 and watch espnu on 104 how would I do that though.

2. MickeS

MickeS Active Member

Dec 26, 2002
    The only way to do it is by using two digital cable boxes and use one for recording, and the other one for live viewing.

3. UKHOOPS

UKHOOPS New Member

Jan 7, 2006
    but how would you control the remotes? won't they interfer with each other?

4. dgh

dgh New Member

Jul 24, 2000
    If they can't be set to unique addresses, then the TiVo-controlled box would need a good IR fort/tent. Actually the fort is a good idea even if they have separate addresses since they can still interfere.

5. jaemie

jaemie New Member

Jan 14, 2006

Advertisements

I am able, with a digital cable box and rf splitter to watch a channel while recording another channel simultaneously. I am now experiencing a signal interruption on just a couple of channels. A tivo technician said that it is common with a "digital" cable box. Try calling my local cable company and going on this community forum for help. I cannot

6. jaemie

jaemie New Member

Jan 14, 2006
    I am able, with a digital cable box and rf splitter to watch a channel while recording another channel simultaneously. I am now experiencing a signal interruption on just a couple of channels. A tivo technician said that it is common with a "digital" cable box. Try calling my local cable company and going on this community forum for help. I cannot find the answer to my dilemma, other than switch back to an analog box.

7. gastrof

gastrof Hubcaps r in fashion

Oct 31, 2003
    Potato and pen.
    Unless your cable box has two separate tuners, what you're describing isn't possible.

You can't tune one box with a single tuner to two different channels at the same time.

If your splitter is before the cable box, and there are two lines, one from the splitter, one from the cable box, the one without the box isn't digital cable. It's analog channels only.

Any time you split a cable signal, you weaken it. This could be why some of the channels aren't coming in right.

You may need an amplifying splitter, not just a splitter.