How to record all my fall favorites?

Discussion in 'TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs' started by vanstrien, Aug 25, 2007.

1. vanstrien

vanstrien New Member

Jun 8, 2007

Advertisements

I have a Series3 TiVo. My question is about how to ensure the new shows I want are recorded.

If I have three shows that fall into the same timeslot for the fall lineup, will it look for one of them as repeats to get them all? Or will it just record the two with the highest priority and I'll miss the third?

How do I tell what episodes I'll miss?

Sad as it may sound, I've actually put together a grid of the new and returning shows for the fall season. There are luckily only a few places where three of the shows I want are on at the same time. But I'm also worried about shows that shift their time slot too.

2. bicker

bicker bUU

Nov 9, 2003
    Florida
    There are only two time-slots I have this issue with (and with New Amsterdam being moved to mid-season, they're both only three-way conflicts, instead of having a four-way conflict!) My solution is to have two dual-tuner HD DVRs. :) Barring that, I'd set the two favorites up with higher priority, New episodes only, and the third program set up with lower priority, New episodes and reruns. Short of manually managing the situation, that's the best you can do.

3. jrm01

jrm01 New Member

Oct 17, 2003
    Pittsburgh
    It sounds like you may be new to Tivo-land, if so - welcome aboard.

Your use of a grid getting ready for the fall season is not uncommon, it's kind of like preparing for the fantasy draft.

With Season Passes, Tivo will record the highest priority shows first, as you mentioned. If one of them is a repeat it will not record it, as long as you marked your SP as "First Run Only" (a good practice at this time of year).

If the show is shifted to a new time, Tivo will note that and make the appropriate changes. However, this could then cause an unplanned conflict.

The best way to monitor that is to periodically review the T0-Do list to see what is going to be recorded in the next 1-2 weeks. If you see something missing you can check that show in the season pass list, click on View Upcoming Episodes and it will show when it is scheduled and include a check mark if it is scheduled to record.

Also helpful (but hopefully not needed) you can view the Recorded History (in To-Do list) and it will note any shows not recorded and tell you why (conflict, deleted, etc.).

For those 3-way conflicts you have a choice of:

1) Watching one of them live (ugh!) on another tv input.

2) Record one on your bedroom tivo (Surely you have one of these)

3) Get out the VCR (ugh! ugh!)

Enjoy.

4. vanstrien

vanstrien New Member

Jun 8, 2007
    Thanks for the suggestions. The Recording History suggestion will work the best for me - I can keep an eye on what might be missed and take drastic action when necessary...

5. Dr_Diablo

Dr_Diablo Dr_Diablo

Nov 23, 2003
    Midwest

Advertisements

You might enable the favorite actors option, at times if you don't elect to record repeats the season Pass or Tivo Suggestions may assist in collecting those programs missed...

Your other option is to have a second Tivo... I know I have the same situation as you at times... Too many programs that are in the same or near time slot...

Makes ya wonder if there will ever be a four tuner Tivo?

6. jrm01

jrm01 New Member

Oct 17, 2003
    Pittsburgh
    With one m-card for all four tuners. :up: :up:

7. AbMagFab

AbMagFab What happened, TiVo?

Feb 5, 2001
    To answer your original question:

1) It will always record based on prioritýso the third one in priority will be skipped in that time slot.

2) If the third one airs again in some other time slot, it will record it later (even if you have first-run only, it's smart like that). This is very useful for cable channels who repeat all the time, so I put them always below the broadcast nets in my SP list.

8. drcos

drcos HD where available

Jul 20, 2001
    Venice FL
    I believe the M-card spec allows for seven (7) simultaneous streams :D

And I love TV as well, but three programs you want at the same time? I doubt there are that many nights in the week when there are three programs I want on the same night :rolleyes: but to each his own.

My 'returning champions' are already set up in my season passes. Nothing new on the 'big 3' has caught my eye, although 'Californication' on SHO-HD has made the list (mostly because of Natascha McElhone :D).

9. David Platt

David Platt Mouse Master TCF Club

Dec 13, 2001
    Portland, OR
    Three is nothing. There were nights for the past two TV seasons that I had five way conflicts.

10. moyekj

moyekj Well-Known Member

Jan 23, 2006
    Mission...
    I've had occasions with the need for 7 simultaneous recordings in the past - 5 network shows + 2 sports recordings. Not a problem now though with my 4 Tivo tuners + 3 Replay tuners + 1 PC tuner. 7 is pretty rare but on Wednesday nights in the fall 4-5 is pretty common for me.

11. bkdtv

bkdtv New Member

Jan 9, 2003
    DC Metro Area
    Remember to put recordings from the local networks at the top of your priority list. That content isn't usually repeated, so you want to make sure your Tivo records it.

Place recordings from cable networks lower on your priority list. Cable programs almost always repeat multiple times during the same week, so the Tivo can go out and grab those the next time they are shown.

12. bareyb

bareyb Under Maintenance TCF Club

Dec 1, 2000
    Silicon Valley
    I love that you did a grid! You sound like you will fit in here quite well. :D

Based on initial impressions from your first post, I'd say Tivo and you are going to get very well acquainted. It's a wonderful tool for TV enthusiasts such as ourselves. I would guess within a few months you may end up wanting to get a second TiVo.

Two TiVo's (four tuners) has proven to be the key to not missing anything in our household. With four tuners I've always found a way to make all my shows happen as well as all my kids' favorite shows being thrown into the mix. In the mean time follow the to-do and history and you will be fine. In the early days of the new season I generally take a run through the listings every day and make sure there's nothing new that I might have missed. Once you get your season passes all setup there's a whole lot less maintenance. Welcome to the TiVolution! Your life just changed forever. :up: ;)

13. drcos

drcos HD where available

Jul 20, 2001
    Venice FL
    Now I know who to point to when I am accused of watching too much TV :D

We know who will beta test the new S3 Turbo with 7 tuners - although I don't think a physical hard drive could keep up, you would need some fast RAM, a stout CPU, and at least two drives (and it wouldn't hurt to have it able to hit 88 mph).