How to raise the sound in Tivo TV?

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by Adela, May 30, 2015.

1. Adela

Adela Member

Oct 15, 2013
    I have Tivo with a Samsung UN22F500022" TV.

The sound of the TV is not loud enough for me with few exceptions and wonder how I can raise the sound? It's limited on the TV remote so....

....do you think an external speaker would help? If so, how can I tell how many watts I have now so that I'll know which speaker to buy that's louder than now?

Thanks so much for any help. :)

Adela

2. unitron

unitron Well-Known Member

Apr 28, 2006
    semi-coastal NC
    Is it not loud enough because it's not loud enough, or is it because you're having trouble understanding dialogue?

What model TiVo do you have?

Is it a TiVo brand TiVo or one that is a TiVo but was made by someone else like Sony or Humax or Toshiba or whoever?

How do you have the TiVo connected to the television?

Have you ever connected an antenna straight to the television and tuned in an over the air channel and compared the sound levels?

Do you have any kind of sound system (what would have been called a Hi-Fi way back in the day) in the same room?

3. Anony-mous

Anony-mous New Member

May 29, 2015
    According to the Samsung site, I believe they list the specs of the speakers at 3Wx2. If that is the case, no wonder you cannot hear it. I think my portable Bluetooth speaker puts out a lot more watts than that... and it's hardly blaring.

Easy way to test things is hook up any sort of speaker you have lying around. Old computer speakers would even do. It's almost guaranteed they would be a upgrade over what is built into the tv.

4. Adela

Adela Member

Oct 15, 2013
    Thank you unitron! Answers below.....

:D Yes I guess I must have a touch of deafness! And yes, it's hard to understand the dialogs...

I think it's:

TiVo Premiere, 746000190929334 (4 standalone) Quad
    Model: TIVO PREMIERE TCD746320
    TV connection: 1080 HD TV Via HDMI .

I think it's a Tivo brand new which I purchased (or renting?) from my servers RCN.com.

See bove.

No, I'm as versed on high tech as a truck driver on ballet dancing :eek:

No, nothing of the sort. But only a small simple speaker I bought for my Dell desktop computer because it wasn't loud enough. I bought it without knowing anything about sound so this new speaker is not enough loud either...

Hope my answers cover your questions? And thanks again. :) Adela

5. Adela

Adela Member

Oct 15, 2013
    Thank you very much! I didn't know the wattage of my TV, so if 3Wx2 is not adequate because I can't hear it properly, then should I look for double that? I.e., at least 6Wx2? I'm so glad you told me this because now I'll be able to buy the right one.

I do have a small speaker that I bought for my computer, as I can't hear this either, but it isn't an improvement on the loudness so I'll have to find out this time how to buy the right one for both appliances, so I'll be able to enjoy them. ;)

Thanks again. :) Adela

6. unitron

Apr 28, 2006
    semi-coastal NC
    As Anony-mous indicated, your TV doesn't have a whole lot of audio amplifier going on.

I have no personal experience with "sound bars", but one of those might be the simplest solution to your problem. Supposedly there are some that have "dialogue enhancement" circuitry.

But a sound bar may not necessarily be the least expensive solution, unfortunately.

And I'm afraid you'll have to acquaint yourself with the various methods and types of cables for connecting items of audio and video equipment to one another to be sure you get something that you can actually use.

The only way to get the sound out of your TV to send it to an external amplifier and speaker setup is via the headphone jack on the back, so it might be better to take the audio straight from the TiVo itself, and you'll need to be sure you've got matching audio outputs and inputs.

But first, use the TV's remote and explore its menus and see if there are adjustments to the audio available that might help the situation.

Generally you want to boost the mid-range frequencies and lower the bass to bring out voices.

7. Anony-mous

Anony-mous New Member

May 29, 2015
    Well, 6wx2 is still pretty dinky.

The simplest solution, if you need pc speakers too, is.... well, buy pc speakers. Then hook up both devices to the speakers. I don't know your budget, but you can find Klipsch promedia speakers on sale for around $100ish sometimes, and Logitech has similar speakers around the same price. That is on sale however, I think they go for about $150 normally. Includes subwoofers and they are considered high end as far as computer speakers go. I believe they are around 200 watts total, including subwoofer wattage.

I have the Klipsch for my computer and they are very decent.

Only problem, and it's sort of a big one, is you can not change volume or power on/off by remote control. Other option is a soundbar, which you can find for 100-200ish.

You also need to see what connections you have on your tv/tivo there. You would probably need a RCA to stereo cable to connect the tivo to pc speakers. Or if your tv supports it, Tivo to Tv, then Tv audio out to speakers. Don't forget to set your tv to external speaker settings, or you may get some echo due to audio delay.

And as mentioned, check your audio settings to see if you can change to a better mode. On my samsung, there was a cinema mode which did improve sound a decent amount. But with 3w a speaker, I'm not sure you have a whole lot to work with there.

Last edited: May 31, 2015
  8. CoxInPHX

CoxInPHX COX Communications

Jan 14, 2011
    Phoenix, AZ
    It's a cheap 22" TV, there's no reason to spend $100 on external speakers.

In this case I think I would go to Goodwill or other second hand store an just find a used set of computer speakers with a 3.5mm headphone jack probably for $5-10

Or go with most any computer speakers on Amazon under $40

The headphone jack volume is most likely not variable with the TV remote, so you would have to turn the knob on the speakers, unless you spent more money on one with a remote.

9. Series3Sub

Series3Sub Well-Known Member

Mar 14, 2010
    Interesting. I find my cheap Samsung 20" to be capable of quite LOUD audio with either Dish or TiVo (Roamio and S3). It really depends upon how far away one is from the TV (speakers). One can be a good 10 feet + away and those little cheap things will output efficiently. However, if
    one is too much further away or trying to fill a large room, then, yeah, those speakers just won't do the job.

10. Anony-mous

Anony-mous New Member

May 29, 2015
    Agreed, if the speakers are solely for the tv. OP also mentioned needing speakers for the computer too though. $100 for good computer speakers isn't an insane amount to spend. The volume thing though is an issue however , unless someone sits close to the tv/speakers most of the time... And at 22", that may be the case.

11. unitron

Apr 28, 2006
    semi-coastal NC
    OP didn't mention their age, but I suspect age-related hearing issues play a part here, as well as new stuff not being mixed for mono or stereo as well as in the past when those were the only options (the shining exception being "Burn Notice"), so just by itself louder may not be the cure.

Adela, try stuff like old movies on Turner Classic Movies or re-runs from the '50s and early '60s of stuff like "I Love Lucy", Andy Griffith, Twilight Zone, et cetera, and see if dialogue clarity is as much of a problem as it is with current shows.

12. Adela

Adela Member

Oct 15, 2013
    Thanx but this is too complicated for me.

Then, is the "external speaker" different or the same as the "external amplifier"?

I did, and also one of RCN (my server) people helped exploring the TV remote for me but no more volume was possible...

13. Adela

Adela Member

Oct 15, 2013
    Oh I ust remember seeing somewhere that Samsung500022" shows around 13 watts. I'll try contacting Dell and if this is true I'll probably buy around double that.

They better be decent for that price!!! since I don't want anything fancy in any respect, only louder sound, it wouldn't merit spending that much!

Are RCA those small triple-color plugs? Anyway, I better ask RCN to help identify all of these connections.

I'll include this question when I contact Dell. :)

14. Anony-mous

Anony-mous New Member

May 29, 2015
    RCA are the red/white plugs, if I recall correctly. Your Tivo should have those.

Does your TV have any form of audio out? RCA/Stereo/Optical?

There is a potential issue if going with computer speakers + tivo, I just realized ... you will need to make sure to turn off the speakers separately after using them. Since the Tivo is always 'on', you'd otherwise get the channel sound blasting out even when the TV is off.

A potential way around this is to hook the speakers up to your TV's audio out, which I assume would also cut out any audio signal when it's turned off (or so I would hope).

Around what pricerange are you looking at? $20-$40ish? You can still find very serviceable speakers at that range too... not sure I'd order direct from Dell though to get the best price. That also of course rules out soundbars and things that may work a bit better with your remote controls.

15. unitron

Apr 28, 2006
    semi-coastal NC

An "external" speaker may or may not have an amplifier built in, depending upon at which segment of the market it is aimed.

Tell me your rough geographic location and let me take a look at the Craigslist offerings for your area--might be something used that would do what you need without breaking the bank.

16. CoxInPHX

Jan 14, 2011
    Phoenix, AZ
  17. telemark

telemark Active Member

Nov 12, 2013
    A decent soundbar does make a huge difference if it's in your budget. Occasionally there are some refurb ones at discount retailers if budget is a concern.

22" though means they don't match up in size so maybe go with what everyone else is suggesting.

Last edited: Jun 2, 2015
  18. telemark

telemark Active Member

Nov 12, 2013
  19. CoxInPHX

Jan 14, 2011
    Phoenix, AZ
    Just wait for the RadioShack Going Out of Business clearance sale :)

20. unitron

Apr 28, 2006
    semi-coastal NC
    Looks like too much emphasis on bass and not enough on midrange where dialogue is, so may not be optimal for the OP.