How to quit the cable addiction?

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by segamartinez, Jun 26, 2011.

1. segamartinez

segamartinez New Member

Jan 23, 2007
    I'm curious to learn if some people have successfully ditched the high cable bills, but still have a premium viewing experience?

My cable bill is $170. I get any channel from comcast, but I have cut down on my TV viewing pretty substantially and my wife has taken over the mantle, watching Bravo on a loop, but she also likes her True Blood on HBO.

Anyway, wondering what kinds of non-cable setups are out there and how much you guys spend per month on TV viewing.

I have two series 3 tivos, and an xbox 360.

I'm thinking about apple tv + Netflix + hulu plus as a lower cost option. Anybody doing something similar? If you're really jonesing for an HBO hit series episode, is there a way to retrieve and view the episodes pretty close to their original air date?

Thanks!

2. ct1

ct1 Well-Known Member TCF Club

Jun 27, 2003
    Maryland
    I would ditch in a minute -- I'm mostly on Netflix now, and OTA would be plenty.

BUT, I have a young child who loves disney/sprout/nick jr. shows.

Any good options?

My thought now is to just record a bunch of episodes of every show she likes on the TiVo, then cancel.. Supplement with the kid shows that are available on Netflix streaming+dvds, it might do..

3. TheGreenHornet

TheGreenHornet Don

Oct 31, 2007
    Jeffersonvil...
    One of the best outcomes of the recession for me was that I cut my cable cord forever in '07! I see no value in paying for television. I have no intention of ever going back to paying for cable in the future.

I get a perfect digital signal from over the air (OTA). The broadcast network programming and content on the digital subchannels provides me with enough content to watch. If there is nothing to watch over the air, then there are discs from Netflix sitting by the television or their digital streaming works great. Most popular series on pay cable such as True Blood eventually are released on DVD.

4. Len McRiddles

Len McRiddles New Member

Dec 21, 2002
    U.S.S.A
    I did the same thing and have no regrets.

5. HomieG

HomieG Nowhere Man...

Feb 17, 2003
    Somewhere...
    Cut it in 2008. Easy enough to do. Just OTA and Netflix (disc and streaming). Plenty to watch. And if you find you can't exist without cable, they will always take you back, and your money too!

6. magnus

magnus Tivo User

Nov 12, 2004
    Texas
    I quit satellite in July of 2007. That removed almost $1000 per year as expense. I then purchased 2 Tivos with Lifetime and have made my money back easily within the first year.

I use OTA/Netflix and don't have a need for anything else. I've tried Hulu Plus but really do not see the draw for it. I think that when the initial newness of Hulu Plus on Tivo wears off that they will see subscribers for it fall quickly. Who wants to pay for the privilege of watching commercials? If you want to do that, then just go back to satellite and cable.

7. dlfl

dlfl Cranky old novice

Jul 6, 2006
    Dayton OH
    If I dropped cable it would bother me to be paying the same for guide data while needing only about 10% as much data for OTA channels. But I may do it anyway -- Tuning Adapter problems are a PITA, and the content we enjoy from cable is barely worth the cost.

8. javabird

javabird Well-Known Member

Oct 12, 2006
    Seattle
    I thought the Tivo would not give guide data for OTA channels. Am I mistaken about that?

9. HerronScott

HerronScott Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2002
    Staunton, VA
    I'd be seriously looking at alternatives if my cable bill were $170 as well. Mine is $91.11 for Comcast's Digital Preferred with 1 Premium (HBO) including service and taxes, fees, etc. We have 2 Series 3 as well but both connected to the same TV and one is still analog only so no additional outlet or cablecard fee at the moment. The charge to add cablecards to the second S3 was going to be either $4.75 or $6.50 per month depending on whether the $3.00 additional outlet charge covered the 1st cable card or not ($1.75 for charge for 2nd cable card).

What's causing your cable bill to be so high and are there ways to reduce it without giving up what you really want?

Scott

10. tootal2

tootal2 Active Member

Oct 14, 2005
    I cant find anything to watch on cable anymore. I'm sick of all those tv show marathons. I watch more blu-rays and dvd then cable now.

they need to stop the marathons and make some new shows

11. Len McRiddles

Len McRiddles New Member

Dec 21, 2002
    U.S.S.A
    My HD's get OTA guide data.

12. babycakes

babycakes New Member

Oct 18, 2010
    Is it stealing?

13. replaytv

replaytv gun talk ignore list

Feb 20, 2011
    Denver ish...
    "I thought the Tivo would not give guide data for OTA channels. Am I mistaken about that?"
    If gives the guide data fine, as long as you have lifetime service or pay the monthly fee. The only problem with guide data is if you have Series 1 Tivo, then the guide data will have to be cable other service, although that can usually be fairly accurate.

I am happy as can be with getting DVDs from the library, and over the air antenna TV with over 20 channels. Those include one sports channel, 4 music channels, 3 kids shows channels, old movies or tons of other shows. I always have something to watch that I have recorded on one of my 3 lifetimed Tivos.

14. ThAbtO

ThAbtO TiVoholic by the bay TCF Club

Apr 6, 2000
    SF Bay Area
    Yes, you are.

I have OTA for all my life's TV Viewing and even from the old Series 1 and Series 2, Even today's Series 3 and 4, digital OTA, they all had guide data.

15. ThAbtO

ThAbtO TiVoholic by the bay TCF Club

Apr 6, 2000
    SF Bay Area
    OTA? No, its totally free.

16. tomm1079

tomm1079 Member

May 10, 2005
    Are any of you OTA people big sports fans? If so how you get around the NFL, MLB or NHL?

17. ct1

ct1 Well-Known Member TCF Club

Jun 27, 2003
    Maryland
    Only if you skip the commercials..

;) :p

18. KCcardsfan

KCcardsfan New Member

Feb 20, 2011
    I am but I live out of market of my favorite baseball team. I use MLB.TV and get every game I could ever watch if I wanted to I could pay for the other sports services as well. I get the regular football games except for Monday Night Football which my schedule won't allow me to see anyway. If you live in market for team you like in baseball you would be out of luck, but football is almost all broadcast. Some markets still have OTA of basketball and other sports..

19. KCcardsfan

KCcardsfan New Member

Feb 20, 2011
    Right now I use (OTA-TIVO/Netflix/HULU+) / ROKU / Computer.

The OTA covers I would say about 70% of what we watch. We pick up many shows that we have missed over the years with Netflix. I love the convience of HULU+ but will be dropping it until they get more of the shows you can get on HULU regular on +. I can hook my laptop to my TV very easily and I pick up many of the shows I miss from cable of HULU regular or the networks sites themselves (USA/FX/History etc.) all have shows that I watch available the next day on their websites. In general it takes more planning as to what you want to watch but cuts down on just midless surfing.

20. dlfl

dlfl Cranky old novice

Jul 6, 2006
    Dayton OH
    Yes, you are. You simply specify you have antenna input during guided setup. You can use OTA only or OTA integrated with Cable -- no problem (except you don't get any price reduction if you're only using OTA guide data ;) ).