How to put shows back on roamio running latest software

Discussion in 'TiVo Roamio DVRs' started by Peach777, Sep 19, 2020.

1. Peach777

Peach777 New Member

Sep 19, 2020

Advertisements

Hello, we had to replace our Roamio hard drive as the old one was dying. We went with the bigger hard drive. Prior to doing this we did download a whole bunch of stuff using KMTTG. I also have PyTiVo set up for downloads but I can’t figure out how to put the shows back. Do either of these programs allow for putting shows back? Downgrading to TE3 is not an option. If not, is there another way to watch videos from your computer or NAS on TiVo? Is Plex an option for this? Thanks!

2. Dan203

Dan203 Super Moderator Staff Member TCF Club

Apr 17, 2000
    Nevada
    The new TE4 does not support transfers from PC to TiVo. Your only option is to use Plex. (not Plesk)

To do that the files will need to be decrypted. If you didn’t decrypt during download then you'll need to use tivolibre, or similar, to decrypt them first.

Peach777 likes this.
  3. Peach777

Peach777 New Member

Sep 19, 2020
    Thank you so much for the quick reply. From what I’m seeing Plex through TiVo is pretty slow unfortunately.

I also have a TiVo mini vox. Could that be downgraded to TE3, and shows copied there with PyTiVo?

4. ThAbtO

ThAbtO TiVoholic by the bay TCF Club

Apr 6, 2000
    SF Bay Area
    No, it does not have a hard drive to store them on.

Roamios can be downgraded (upgraded) to TE3, v20, but they will lose everything unless its saved previously.

Minis will (try) match the software on its host.

Peach777 likes this.
  5. Dan203

Apr 17, 2000
    Nevada

Advertisements

The Mini Vox will likely run Plex a lot faster than the Roamio. It's got Bolt level hardware so the apps are faster.

But if that doesn’t work for you then you're probably better off just buying some sort of dedicated streamer for Plex or Kodi.

Peach777 likes this.
  6. tommage1

tommage1 Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2008
    Well you could buy a lifetime Premiere (under $100). Premieres are TE3 only. Transfer the shows from the computer to the Premiere. Then use Tivo online to transfer from the Premiere to the TE4 Roamio. Or just watch them through the Roamio streaming from the Premiere. The Premiere could be used as a storage device instead of the computer too. Just transfer shows (non copy protected) to the Premiere. When not using the Premiere just shut it down. Turn it on when needed, and maybe once or twice a month for updates. Could even use a cable only Premiere, since not using for recording, just storage, don't even need a cable card.

Peach777 likes this.
  7. krkaufman

krkaufman TDL shepherd

Nov 25, 2003
    FYI... Rumor has it that the PLEX client for TiVo may be getting decommissioned.

Here’s the PLEX announcement post:

After a couple decades - looks like TiVo is done for me

Last edited: Sep 19, 2020
    Peach777 likes this.
  8. Peach777

Peach777 New Member

Sep 19, 2020
    Thank you all for the responses. Premier option sounds interesting. Hadn't heard of Kodi, will look into that first since it takes less of an investment.

Another related question, PyTivo Desktop has an option for setting up shared folders for Music, Videos and Photos. Does TE4 support this? I cannot seem to get that work either.

9. Dan203

Apr 17, 2000
    Nevada
    Wow! Well it was fun while it lasted. RIP TiVo

10. ThAbtO

ThAbtO TiVoholic by the bay TCF Club

Apr 6, 2000
    SF Bay Area
    It is irrelevant as what program you use, Tivo Desktop, PyTivo/ Desktop, they are just a 'server' for the Tivo. TE4 does not support this 'server' anymore. If you want to be able to transfer shows from computer/PC/MAC to the Tivo, it cannot be running TE4/v21 and must be running TE3/v20 (Bolt, Roamio, Premiere)

The suggestion of adding another Tivo only adds more hassle when you want to transfer shows from PC to Tivo.
    1. transfer the show to the other TE3 Tivo.
    2. Go to online.tivo.com and initiate the transfer of the same show over to TE4 Roamio.

Reverting to TE3 eliminates step 1 and the online.tivo.com portion.

Peach777 likes this.
  11. wendlan

wendlan Member

Apr 21, 2002
    If you have videos downloaded to a PC somewhere, my recommendation is Plex (free version is fine). It runs great on a $50 Roku stick, and is easy to setup. We are using it now to watch several seasons of Australian Survivor downloaded through Reddit with the "server" being a six year old PC, no problems.

Peach777 likes this.