How to purchase additional TIVO for MSD

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by mickeybr, Apr 11, 2007.

1. mickeybr

mickeybr New Member

Apr 11, 2007
    I'm a little confused on how much it's going to cost me to purchase an additional TIVO unit for our account.

I can get a new Series 2 80 hour DT for $99, but then it requires me to purchase a TIVO subscription. How do I get it added to my current account?

Would it be better to find a TIVO on ebay or elsewhere and then just add it to my account?

The TIVO site is not very forthcoming on providing this information easily.

I don't want to purchase another TIVO subscription and then have to straighten out the accounts later.

Thanks,
    John

2. bilbo

bilbo New Member

Dec 7, 2004
    If you pre-pay $299 you get 3 years of service ($8.31 per month). Then if the Tivo you own does not have Lifetime Service (nor is it still under a 1-3 year commitment as part of a prior package), you should be able to switch the Tivo you own now to MSD (at $6.95 per month, when/if it is on monthly billing not in the 1-3 year commitment period as part of a package). I think you would be better off getting the same box as a re-manufactured unit with a warranty (for $49.99) rather than going the EBay route.

You could also get a box from a retailer (the MSRP is $249.99). There is a $150.00 rebate. I believe you could get the MSD right off the bat, then.

3. atmuscarella

atmuscarella Well-Known Member

Oct 11, 2005
    Rochester NY
    Information on the MSD is located on TiVo's MSD Page

In order to give you the best advise we need to know what terms your current tivo(s) are under. example:
    1. Has lifetime
    2. Is monthly service and not under any service contract
    3. Was purchased from TiVo.com and is under a monthly or prepaid service contract

Good Luck,

4. mickeybr

mickeybr New Member

Apr 11, 2007
    I just bought a Series 2 80 hour DT Tivo direct online with tivo on a 1-year pre-paid package a few months ago.

Now I would like to add a tivo DVR to go in our bedroom so we can transfer and watch shows in there.

Thanks for the link atmuscarella

From what I have found, it seems that the pre-paid package deal counts as a qualified subscription.

Does that mean if I buy another DVR and add it to my account, I would then pay $6.00 less a month for that one depending on the length of the subscription?

I just can't figure out how to do that. If I order a brand new TIVO DVR for $99.99, then purchase a 1 year subscription at $16.95 per month. Will they then reduce my bill to 10.95 per month once I activate it on the same account? Nothing during the order process so far has shown me that they will give me the discount.

They sure don't make it easy to order for a MSD.

5. Sandlapper

Sandlapper New Member

Oct 26, 2003
    Greenville, SC
    I recently ran into the same thing. In the end, it turns out I did get the MSD, I think! :confused:

This is what Tivo needs to understand, their pricing policies are way to difficult to understand. They should make it cut and dry, or perhaps they do it this way on purpose so we'll all rope ourselves into those annual contracts they want!

6. atmuscarella

atmuscarella Well-Known Member

Oct 11, 2005
    Rochester NY
    Ok this tells us what we need to explain it to you. Yes your current TiVo counts as qualifying subscription, so you can get the MSD if you purchase your second TiVo from anyplace other than Tivo.com. I know that sounds weird but units purchase from Tivo.com do not qualify for MSD. From the MSD page:
    All TiVos purchased from TiVo.com are considered a "TiVo Package"

So to get the MSD you have to:
    1. Purcase you new TiVo someplace other than TiVo.com (like from this sites store)
    2. Deal with the current rebate see TiVo's rebate site for more info.
    3. Commit to 1-3 years of monthly service on the new tivo with the same account you have now. The monthly cost will be discounted $6/mo from that periods normal cost to reflect the MSD.

Good Luck,