How to prevent roommate from changing channel and canceling recording

Discussion in 'DirecTV TiVo Powered PVRs & Receivers' started by DAlba, Oct 26, 2006.

1. DAlba

DAlba New Member

Feb 25, 2005

Advertisements

Is there anyway to setup a password or something that must be entered before you can cancel a recording and change channel. It really pisses me off to watch an hour long show only to realize it was canceled 10 minutes into it.

2. JimSpence

JimSpence Just hangin'

Sep 19, 2001
    Binghamton, NY
    Lock up the remote control. :)

3. mr.unnatural

mr.unnatural Well-Known Member

Feb 2, 2006
    Ellicott...
    If your roommate can't keep his hands off your Tivo while it's recording then it's time to start looking for a new roommate.

4. HDTivoDesire

HDTivoDesire Member

Apr 5, 2003
    Plano, TX
    Murder.

5. cowboys2002

cowboys2002 Well-Known Member

Jun 15, 2001
    Cypress, TX

Advertisements

Even with hiding the remote, they could operate the Tivo via the front panel, correct?

This is why I have 3 Directivo's. One for the family, one for the wife, one for me. You can easily replace a roommate, but not your family.

Where is the Tivo located? More importantly, whose is it? Make a simple request for the behavior to stop or find a new roommate!

6. DAlba

DAlba New Member

Feb 25, 2005
    MY Tivo is located in the living room. He doesnt have a TV is his bedroom so he watches my bigscreen in the living room. I dont want to hide the remote becuase I dont mind him watching tv. I just want to be sure my season passes arent f'd with!

7. zdude1

zdude1 New Member

Jun 10, 2005
    Atlanta, GA
    Sounds like he can't be trusted with your equipment.
    Put the tv on another input that gives him OTA, a separate Directv receiver, or cable. Is he paying half your D* monthly fee? An extra receiver would run him $5/month.

Then hide the D-TiVo remote.

8. Scott D

Scott D Active Member

Jun 17, 2001
    Pasadena, Texas
    Set the parental codes so that he can't use the TiVo. If he can't watch his shows, live or recorded, then you won't miss any of your shows.

9. Sir_winealot

Sir_winealot Seenyer Member

Nov 18, 2000
    On the remote, toggle the switch from "SAT" to "TV."

When he starts pressing buttons on the remote it might change the input on the screen, but your recording should continue.

I dunno about your roomate, but my wife can never figure out what the problem is when someone has inadvertantly toggled it. :D

10. Fish Man

Fish Man Phish Food

Mar 4, 2002
    0.7 miles...
    I vote for your roommate to get his own DirecTiVo.

Or, since he is canceling recordings, it sounds like he's not assimilated into the community of TiVoties and watches live. :eek:

Get him a non-TiVo DirecTV box!

Set it up so you can switch inputs on the TV or A/V receiver to select between the boxes.

11. kcmurphy88

kcmurphy88 New Member

Jul 5, 2003
    Los Angeles
    Umm ... enable the other tuner?

12. MurrayW

MurrayW Murray

Aug 28, 2005
    Austin, TX
    Um, have you tried talking to him/her?

13. asinow

asinow TIVO NUT

Jan 4, 2002
    Maryland
    Hide the TiVO, the remote and the TV. Oh, and get a roommate that can afford his/her own TiVo.

14. Scott D

Scott D Active Member

Jun 17, 2001
    Pasadena, Texas
    Did you solve your problem? Did you have a little chat with your roommate?

15. darthrsg

darthrsg New Member

Jul 25, 2005
    post 911...
    Gently clean the toilet with his toothbrush. The next day explain that you were so mad at missing your show you just HAD to clean something and the only thing available was his toothbrush.

16. i_be_broke

i_be_broke New Member

Feb 16, 2006
    Chicago, IL
    Teach him how to 'toggle' to the other tuner (click the lower quadrant on the top disk on the remote). If ONE of the two tuners is recording something (the red circle is on the TV screen or on unit)...click to the other one. If the unit is recording on BOTH...you're SOL.

And whatever he does, tell him NOT to stop the recording, that just ain't right! Even my wife, who's not the most technologically literate person in the whole world...knows not to stop the recording.

17. bbodin

bbodin New Member

Jan 21, 2004
    Houston
    you don't have to manually change tuners..if a recording is occuring on 1 tuner and the other tuner is free, if you try to change channels it will automatically switch to the "free" tuner and change channels.

His problem of it cancelling the recordings indicates either
    1) he only has 1 tuner plugged in
    2) 2 shows are recording at the same time

otherwise the problem wouldn't occur. The roomate also sees the message letting him know that it is cancelling a recording yet chooses to cancel. A simple word with him about not ever answering "yes" to that question should solve the problem.

As indicated above, easiest solution is for him to setup his own recordings then he doesn't ever have to watch live tv..if you're recording something he can just go to previously recorded shows.