How to prevent Hydra from being loaded automatically?

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by jfh3, Nov 15, 2017.

1. jfh3

jfh3 Active Member

Apr 15, 2004
    Denver area

Advertisements

i have existing Roamios and a Bolt that I do not want upgraded to Hydra. How do I make sure I don't wake up one morning and find my boxes upgraded?

2. mrizzo80

mrizzo80 Well-Known Member

Apr 16, 2012
    I'm pretty sure it's optional. You'll have to deliberately choose to install it. There was/is a "Hydra Upgrade" app that showed up in the current HDUI a couple weeks ago. That may be the launch point to initiate installing Hydra once they open up availability to everyone.

3. TonyD79

TonyD79 Well-Known Member

Jan 4, 2002
    Columbia, MD
    It is open to all. You have to go to the TiVo web page and opt in. Otherwise, you will only get it on new TiVo’s.

4. andyw715

andyw715 Well-Known Member

Jul 31, 2007
    Ok so I'm feeling particularly lazy. Is Hydra a consensus update? Or is it still to "beta" for the normal user.
    I would be all over it, but my wife would be reluctant to change for changes' sake.

5. dlfl

dlfl Cranky old novice

Jul 6, 2006
    Dayton OH

Advertisements

See the post just before yours.

6. idksmy

idksmy Guest

Jul 16, 2016
    A consensus? No.

You have your answer. Unless, you opt for it and when your wife asks about it, you say, “I guess Tivo pushed a new release out.”

All my TiVos are running it and my wife got used to it fairly fast, but she watches recordings and a little live TV. Not a real extensive Tivo user.

7. andyw715

andyw715 Well-Known Member

Jul 31, 2007
    Ok different question. When a new TiVo is sold retail, what UI does it ship with?
    Is TiVo confident enough with Hyrdra to ship it retail?

8. Diana Collins

Diana Collins Well-Known Member TCF Club

Aug 21, 2002
    New York...
    I think it may have been reported that if you buy a new Bolt VOX, it installs Hydra during guided setup. Not sure about the Mini VOX, but generally it will follow the rev on the DVR, so even if it shipped with Hydra, if attached to a DVR with the classic UI (which was called 'Encore', BTW) the Mini should switch to it.

Hydra is required for voice control, so it makes sense that it is the default for the Vox models. I don't know if anyone has gotten an older Bolt or refurb from TiVo with Hydra pre-installed. I haven't seen an actual report of it, but many people are assuming it so I may have missed the report.

9. atmuscarella

atmuscarella Well-Known Member

Oct 11, 2005
    Rochester NY
    Someone reported the Hydra installed on a new Roamio OTA (that didn't come with the VOX remote). So I am guessing that any new TiVo now loads Hydra during setup by default. Of course those who view these forums also know you can remove Hydra and move back to the old HDUI if you want.

10. SandiMacD

SandiMacD Member

Apr 19, 2017
    Florida
    My Roamio OTA shipped last week. Arrived Thurs. I did the setup on Fri and entered the forums on Saturday to figure out the menus. So yes, mine shipped with Hydra installed.

I have given Hydra a serious run. Even posted that I decided to stay with it. But no longer, just too many confusing things for this old brain to learn. Like adding shows to a watchlist when they can't be recorded. I FF thorough a program today and found I could not make it play- it was just stuck. No easy way to delete a recording. Always had a submenu of delete show, pass, etc. Never sure where I was or how to get where I wanted to be. Could not transfer in UI- forced to go online to transfer from my Premiere. Switching to a streaming service took 90+ seconds.

I downgraded 15 min ago. Successful. Am now getting programming guide.

atmuscarella likes this.
  11. SandiMacD

SandiMacD Member

Apr 19, 2017
    Florida
    The entire reset to being able to record a new show (including channel, user and guide settings) took 38 minutes. But I have Fios internet at 75mbs.
    Teaching my husband how to use Hydra last night was what put me over the edge. He quietly walked away after 15 min. The back button situation didn't help.

We are in our 60's both with vision problems and the overstimulation of images in hydra was not making things helpful. We both do better when the eyes can focus on text in high contrast.

Add to that we were dealing with new channel lineups and programming in our switch to OTA and also learning streaming. I am not sure we are going to stick with streaming. It comes with delays when changing channels, interruptions of content, switches when the program segment stops and sometimes having to locate part 2 and the commercials.

There is something to be said for being spoon-fed FiOS cable. We particularly miss the 24 news shows. We have found a lot more PBS programing and local state and county news OTA so now we can record both and transfer between TIVO's.

atmuscarella likes this.
  12. chicagoenergy

chicagoenergy energychicago

Nov 14, 2013
    Chicago
    The Mini Vox that I purchased had Hydra. Unfortunately it was defective but that’s another story. It’s been returned.