How to play .mkv file.

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by Area25, Jan 31, 2020.

1. Area25

Area25 New Member

Jan 31, 2020
    What is the easiest way to get an .mkv file to play on a series 5 TiVo? I have tried using VLC to convert the file to a TiVo compatible format but after conversion the output file still had an .mkv extension and was not recognized by the TiVo.

If file conversion would be easiest. Are there particular profile settings required in VLC or do I need a different program for TiVo?

2. joestan

joestan New Member

Dec 25, 2007
    try converting it to an mp4

3. ThAbtO

ThAbtO TiVoholic by the bay TCF Club

Apr 6, 2000
    SF Bay Area
    What program are you using? Tivo desktop will not work. You would need to use PyTivo to transfer to Tivo.

VLC to convert? I do believe its a player.

4. Feb 1, 2020 #4 of 21
    HerronScott

HerronScott Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2002
    Staunton, VA
    TiVo Desktop still works fine with my Roamio (Series 5)?

Scott

5. Feb 1, 2020 #5 of 21
    Area25

Area25 New Member

Jan 31, 2020
    I did, using VLC. Here was the result as stated in my OP.

"the output file still had an .mkv extension and was not recognized by the TiVo."

6. Feb 1, 2020 #6 of 21
    Area25

Area25 New Member

Jan 31, 2020
    I try not to be a dick, unless provoked but I have to ask. Why would you make a statement about a program that you clearly are not familiar with? To my point. IF you have VLC, go to Media, select Convert / Save... then add the file you wish to convert and click convert/save to open a window with further options for converting the file. It just did not work for me. I am guessing there are specific settings that need set but I don't know.

As to the program; I have TiVo Desktop but have not really used it since I bought a ReadyNAS which has TiVo support.

Has anyone else had success in converting or getting an .MKV file to play on series 5 TiVo?

7. Feb 1, 2020 #7 of 21
    ThAbtO

Apr 6, 2000
    SF Bay Area
    Tivo Desktop does not support .mkv, but Tivo Desktop Plus does, however, they are no longer supported by Tivo and will not give you the key to Plus (unless you previously paid for it).

I use PyTivo and it recognizes all video files, .mpg, mp4, .mkv, .vob, etc.

8. Feb 1, 2020 #8 of 21
    Wil

Wil Unknown Member

Sep 26, 2002
    You will get a number of suggestions fairly soon, I would think, but mkv is a pretty common container for a bunch of different video types and many are Tivo-compatible as-is. Why not just run pyTivo as a supplement to your ReadyNAS for mkvs or any other files you have trouble with. You may find, particularly if you have an old computer laying around (doesn't take much) that you could run it 24/7 and find it more useful than ReadyNAS.

9. Feb 1, 2020 #9 of 21
    Dan203

Dan203 Super Moderator Staff Member TCF Club

Apr 17, 2000
    Nevada
    It doesn’t? It should support any file type ffmpeg supports and ffmpeg definitely supports mkv. Do you have a specific mkv that failed? mkv is just a container, not a format, so it can contain a lot of different audio an$ video formats. Maybe something specific about your file is incompatible.

10. ThAbtO

Apr 6, 2000
    SF Bay Area
  11. joestan

joestan New Member

Dec 25, 2007
    yes used handbrake to convert to mp4 and pytivo to move it to TiVo.

12. Mikeguy

Mikeguy Well-Known Member

Jul 28, 2005
    Will pyTivo handle an mkv file itself without the need for conversion first? (I've seen reports yes but that some people have had problems--but that was a report from 12 years ago.)

13. Wil

Wil Unknown Member

Sep 26, 2002
    If ffmpeg is involved, via pyTivo or whatever? I can't remember an mkv, of probably many thousands over the years, that hasn't played.

But can't an mkv theoretically contain just about any kind of audio or video? There are certainly a lot of things out there that would choke up Tivo even helped by ffmpeg if you put in an mkv wrapper or any other kind of wrapper.

Mikeguy likes this.
  14. dianebrat

dianebrat wait.. I did what? TCF Club

Jul 6, 2002
    boston'ish
    Correct *.mkv is just a container that can contain many different CODECs and formats, the right answer is for the OP to do a little homework and properly convert the video in question to an MP4 or MPEG with the correct container as needed.

Mikeguy likes this.
  15. Area25

Area25 New Member

Jan 31, 2020
    You are correct. I made an assumption (that turned out to be wrong) about the .mkv extension and went straight to searching for how to convert it to play on my series 5.

I do not know what other options may be available but I am currently looking at either Plex or pyTivo. Which would be easier or is there another option being overlooked?

16. ThAbtO

Apr 6, 2000
    SF Bay Area
    I am using PyTivo (not desktop) and yes it does.
    I had found a .mkv file left over from a few years ago that I downloaded from the internet and it still shows up on the Roamio.
    If I transfer it, it would take some time as it needs to be transcoded.

Last edited: Feb 2, 2020
    Mikeguy likes this.
  17. ThAbtO

Apr 6, 2000
    SF Bay Area
    It should still show up with PyTivo Desktop (not to be confused with Tivo Desktop) as its a similar build as PyTivo.

18. dianebrat

dianebrat wait.. I did what? TCF Club

Jul 6, 2002
    boston'ish
    me? I'd see if I could convert it with Handbrake to an MPEG because that's the legacy native format for a Tivo.
    Your first attempt may even have been successful and all you needed to do was change the extension, but in general the answer tends to be a bit more homework to see what you have and how to get it where you need it to be.

19. Diana Collins

Diana Collins Well-Known Member TCF Club

Aug 21, 2002
    New York...
    Plex is easier, since it can likely be installed on your ReadyNAS. You just configure Plex to look into a directory and it will list every video in that directory (with cover art, descriptions and ratings for commercial releases). Tivo models with apps have Plex clients. Plex can handle almost any video/audio format you throw at it.

Last edited: Feb 3, 2020
  20. Area25

Area25 New Member

Jan 31, 2020
    The first part was in response. The second was for the thread as a whole. I did try Handbrake, after it was recommended by joestan, but they were still not recognized by my TiVo. I checked the programs that were recognized after that and they all were .TiVo with a corresponding .nfo file. I am guessing there is something specific between the TiVo and the ReadyNAS behind why the programs aren't being recognized. I will probably just look into Plex as suggested by Diane, unless someone is familiar with ReadyNAS and has a solution handy.