How to Play a .tivo file on Windows 10 Laptop

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by DigitalDawn, Oct 15, 2019.

1. DigitalDawn

DigitalDawn Active Member

Apr 26, 2009
    Jupiter, FL
    I have a Surface Laptop and I have transferred .tivo files to it and it won't play them. The files were from TiVo Desktop 2.8.2. I've tried installing TiVo Desktop 2.8.2 on the Surface but it won't install properly.

Any ideas? Where can I get a more recent version of TiVo Desktop that will install on Windows 10? Or is there another free program that will play back these files?

2. Sparky1234

Sparky1234 Well-Known Member

May 8, 2006
    VLC?

3. dianebrat

dianebrat wait.. I did what? TCF Club

Jul 6, 2002
    boston'ish
    Any reason you don't want to just turn them back into standard MPEG files? that might make troubleshooting easier and it makes them a lot more cross platform.

4. ADG

ADG Allan

Aug 19, 2003
    New Jersey, USA
    Your best bet is to use a 3rd party app / utility to convert the file to .mp4, .avi, or another more common video format. Do a Google search ("convert .tivo to .mp4") and you'll have a bunch of options.

5. DigitalDawn

Apr 26, 2009
    Jupiter, FL
    I purchased and downloaded the Windows DVD Player and that didn't work either.

I tried using TiVo Desktop to convert it to mp4 and MPEG2 but the file was unwatchable afterwards. Very blurry.

6. kpeters59

kpeters59 Well-Known Member

Jun 19, 2007
    Houston, Texas
    You don't need to 'convert' them to .mpg, as they're already .mpg, just encrypted. Just decrypt them with KMTTG.

And quit saving them encrypted?

-KP

7. dianebrat

dianebrat wait.. I did what? TCF Club

Jul 6, 2002
    boston'ish
    I'm not saying to convert, I'm saying use one of the various tools like TivoDecode TiVo File Decoder - Browse Files at SourceForge.net that does nothing other than strip the Tivo encryption off and leaves the same file but now as a standard *.MPEG with zero difference in quality.

8. DigitalDawn

Apr 26, 2009
    Jupiter, FL
    I must have a jinxed laptop because the tivo file decoder won't install. I hate Windows 10.

9. krkaufman

krkaufman TDL shepherd

Nov 25, 2003
    Maybe consider the above KMTTG recommendation?

10. KevTech

KevTech Active Member

Apr 15, 2014
    It will not install as you run it from command prompt with the switches you want.

Annotation 2019-10-15 103003.jpg

There is also a GUI for the program: Tivodecode GUI

Last edited: Oct 15, 2019
  11. Mikeguy

Mikeguy Well-Known Member

Jul 28, 2005
    Just a datapoint for the OP: I'm on Win10 on my HP laptop and had no issue installing TiVo Desktop, and then playing .tivo files natively via WMP. (In case the OP hadn't done this, for TiVo Desktop itself to function properly, its certificates need to be replaced with updated certificates: "Now Playing List Not Available".)

Likewise, successful using easy-to-use TiVo Decoder GUI to decrypt .tivo files. TiVo Decoder GUI - Just another WordPress site - GmonWeb

12. DigitalDawn

Apr 26, 2009
    Jupiter, FL
    This is so frustrating. I tried the two certificate files. Didn't help.

I can't figure out how to use the TiVo Decoder GUI. No help files, no install files I could see. I'm no longer a command line person. Been there, done that -- back in the 80's.

I couldn't figure out how to install and use KMTTG.

I bought a converter program called EaseFab Converter. It showed some promise, and converted two TiVo shows. But it stopped working after that and for some reason would no longer play back most of the TiVo files transferred by TiVo Desktop. So now I'm out $27.95 for that program, plus the $15 for the Windows DVD Player someone suggested.

I think the main issue is that I have a really old version (2.8.2) of TiVo Desktop and that's why it won't work with Windows 10.

Does anyone have a newer version that you would be willing to send me? I have the subscription key for the Desktop upgrade.

Thanks for all of your help. Don't know why this isn't easier?

13. KevTech

KevTech Active Member

Apr 15, 2014
  14. DigitalDawn

Apr 26, 2009
    Jupiter, FL
    2.8.3 doesn't work either. It's really odd. When I play the TiVo file, audio plays with no video. If I right-click on the play/pause button in WMP, the video selection is grayed out. It's as if WMP thinks it's an audio file only.

Anyone see this before? Could it be the Bonjour client causing this?

15. Davelnlr_

Davelnlr_ N5GGG

Jan 12, 2011
    North...
    VideoReDo will open and play .Tivo files, as well as let you edit out commercials, and/or save the file in any format you wish. Choosing the original format will just copy it without the copy protection. If you can get Kmttg working with Java, it will transfer the files and decode them on the way from the Tivo.

16. jhhyde

jhhyde Member

Dec 31, 2001
    Sammamish, WA
    i think you also need to double-check that you have an MPEG2 decoder on your computer. Microsoft stopped including that as a part of windows with Windows 10.

17. Mikeguy

Mikeguy Well-Known Member

Jul 28, 2005
    When you are installing the software, have you turned Win10's Ransomware protection feature off (if you have it on)? It's under Win10's Virus and threat protection section. I have found that it can interfere with the installation of software.

For TiVo Decoder GUI, you just need to unzip the download, double-click on and install the file, and then run the application--under its Preferences menu, add your TiVo MAK, and then, to decrypt a .tivo file, add it to the Input Files box using the Add Files button to the right (you also can add multiple files at a time), set an Output Path location using the Locate button, and then click the Decode button and let the software do its thing.

18. KevTech

KevTech Active Member

Apr 15, 2014
    Downloaded files are untrusted but I have found they run fine if you unblock the file.

Right-click file > properties > check unblock > Apply

Annotation 2019-10-15 212019.jpg

19. DigitalDawn

Apr 26, 2009
    Jupiter, FL
    Tried Video ReDo and it worked. But I was using a trial version and the least expensive paid version is close to $50. Don't want to spend any more money on this.

Installed KMTTG and I'm testing this now....

Looks like we have a winner! The .ts file plays on my Laptop.

I'll play with this some more and let you know how it goes.

Last edited: Oct 16, 2019
  20. nrnoble

nrnoble Active Member

Aug 25, 2004
    Make sure your Media Access Key is correct, or it won't decrypt