How To Order Comcast TV Services with NO Comcast Equipment?

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by MichaelCoffin, May 24, 2017.

1. MichaelCoffin

MichaelCoffin Member

Nov 28, 2014

Advertisements

Has anyone had any luck ordering Comcast TV services with NO cable converter or DVR bundled in?!?! I'm being told I MUST have at least one Comcast X1 or DVR box, and since it is bundled in with the price of service I shouldn't care and just not use it, BUT if I do that I have to pay a $9.95 "additional outlet" charge for my Tivo Roamio when in fact it is the ONLY equipment I am using for TV services.

In my current house I ordered a Triple Play Premiere package that had a DVR bundled in, I tried to return it and they told me IF I did that it would cancel the Triple Play pricing I received and my actual services charges would skyrocket, so I've had the damned thing sitting in a closet for 4 years, and I pay a $9.95 "additional outlet" charge for my Roamio, it's a huge ripoff!

2. jrtroo

jrtroo Chill- its just TV

Feb 4, 2008
    Chicagoland
    Search it. I believe some pay per view options are available by calling in. You should have the xfinity app if your Roamio cablecard is properly set. The cablecard simply replaces the X1. Its your right to do so. CableCARD: Know Your Rights

3. fcfc2

fcfc2 Well-Known Member

Feb 19, 2015
    Did you ever file an FCC complaint regarding this issue?

4. MichaelCoffin

MichaelCoffin Member

Nov 28, 2014
    Yeah, but you can't order service WITHOUT either an X1 or DVR (in fact you can't order cablecards over the website these days either, I had to get them from a local support center). THAT is the problem, and once the Comcast hardware is bundled into your account you can't remove it without the WHOLE thing being repriced (at a much higher rate). :(

5. MichaelCoffin

MichaelCoffin Member

Nov 28, 2014

Advertisements

Not yet. I started with the Mass. Dept. of Consumer Affairs. That guy told me that Massachusetts does not regulate TV channel "bundles". I told him I was under the impression that consumers had the right to use their OWN equipment, and could not be FORCED to use any Comcast equipment. He seemed uninformed, so I told him I thought this was an FCC requirement. He offered to contact the FCC to inquire and get back to me, so far I haven't heard back from him (but it has only been 1 day).

6. NashGuy

NashGuy Well-Known Member

May 2, 2015
    Comcast doesn't make it too easy to get your hands on a CableCARD. You have to either call their 877 number or go to a local center, although it's probably easier to call and have them send it to you. I recently asked about getting a CableCARD at the lone "Xfinity Store" (a showroom-like sales and support center) we have in Nashville and they didn't have a single one on hand. They called a regular old-style support center in a neighboring town and they had exactly one available there.

That seems very unfair that they won't let you swap out the hardware they gave you for a CableCARD and maintain the bundle pricing. Given that you apparently can't initially order bundle services with a CableCARD when you sign up online, it's probably best to try signing up over the phone or in person at a local center. In your case, hopefully the regulator intervenes to make Comcast comply.

7. jrtroo

Feb 4, 2008
    Chicagoland
    That is not allowed. Complain to fcc, it's super easy and very satisfying. I've done it several times.

8. lessd

lessd Well-Known Member

Jan 23, 2005
    CT
    I got the full package from Comcast, then after all was working I returned all their equipment, and got my free cable card and $2.50 cr on my next bill, that the easy way if you have a Comcast office near you.

9. fcfc2

fcfc2 Well-Known Member

Feb 19, 2015
    CableCARD: Know Your Rights

FCC Complaints
    Mike,
    The FCC is probably the only real effective way to deal with these issues as they most certainly have jurisdiction. Perhaps 4 years and 2 days is long enough to wait.

10. MichaelCoffin

MichaelCoffin Member

Nov 28, 2014
    That's the way it SHOULD work, but when I tried that they said the equipment was included in my "bundle" and if I returned it my "bundle pricing" would go away and I'd be charged a la carte for everything, which was of course MUCH more expensive.

11. MichaelCoffin

MichaelCoffin Member

Nov 28, 2014
    I'll try to squeeze in a call to them next week, I plan on living in this new home for decades so I'd like this properly resolved up-front, I do NOT want to pay $9.95 for an "additional outlet" when my Tivo Roamio is the ONLY TV device being used.

12. Bigg

Bigg Cord Cutter

Oct 30, 2003
    Hartford-...
    1. Get the package with the most basic box possible.
    2. Get a CableCard from the service center.
    3. Return the other box to the service center and put the CableCard as the primary.

It took me a few more steps to *get* the package I wanted in the first place, but it worked. Comcast is the polar opposite of efficient in the way that they do things.

13. sfhub

sfhub Well-Known Member

Jan 6, 2007
    Is this a current offer you can get back?

Can they make your CableCARD primary equipment on your account, then your box becomes secondary (and is attached to the additional outlet fee), then drop the cable box?

Alternatively, ignore what they say and return the box and see what happens. If the rep is nice, they'll show you their screen and you can interactively see if the plan drops out or the transaction isn't accepted. I would think your secondard equipment would become your primary equipment if you drop your primary equipment.

14. mattack

mattack Well-Known Member

Apr 9, 2001
    sunnyvale
    Even IF that were true, just sit on their cable box unused AND get a cable card..

but since that's not true, you can get a cable card and return their equipment.

15. sfhub

sfhub Well-Known Member

Jan 6, 2007
    I think that is what he has been doing for 4 years, but that results in $9.95/mo additional outlet fee, which apparently he has paid $480 over 4 years.

16. Scrith

Scrith New Member

Apr 6, 2003
    Redwood...
    I've been paying $1.50/mo for one Cablecard (with no others fees) for several years now (TiVo Bolt XL + 2 minis) but today I got a letter from Comcast saying there was an error on their part and, starting next month, I will now get a $2.50 credit every month for "Customer-Owned Equipment Credit" and paying $9.95/mo for "Digital Add'l Outlet Svc Includes Cablecard." I guess going from $1.50/mo to $7.45/mo isn't so bad, but does anyone know a way to get switched back to $1.50/mo again?

17. jrtroo

Feb 4, 2008
    Chicagoland
    Get rid of the comcast box and go to zero instead

18. sfhub

sfhub Well-Known Member

Jan 6, 2007
    If you have only 1 CableCARD and no other Comcast equipment your pricing should be
    $0 Primary device - CableCARD
    -$2.50 Customer-Owned Equipment Credit
    (there should be *no* additional outlet fees)
    (most of the time there should be *no* hd technology fee, but sometimes they try and get you to pay)

It sounds like, not only are they overbilling with the letter they sent, but they've been overbilling you for years even before the letter.

You should complain and get a retroactive refund.

19. HerronScott

HerronScott Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2002
    Staunton, VA
    I had 2 S3 OLED's that still had CableCards in them after we upgraded to a Roamio Pro and this happened to us when the local franchise upgraded their billing system to I guess Comcast's standard (we were an Adelphia location). Anyway, as jrtroo indicated you must have some other Comcast equipment if they want to charge you an additional outlet charge for the CableCard in your Bolt.

Scott

20. dianebrat

dianebrat wait.. I did what? TCF Club

Jul 6, 2002
    boston'ish
    I walked into the Xfinity store yesterday to order new service, picked my double-play package, told them I needed only a CableCARD, no modem, no boxes, no DVR, then when complete I walked out with a CableCARD.

Yes, it really was that easy.
    They messed up everything else later, but that part was as easy as it gets, I did not share the OPs experience.