How To Move Videos From Series 3 to Premier

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by MichaelAinNB, Mar 20, 2015.

1. MichaelAinNB

MichaelAinNB Member

Dec 28, 2013

Advertisements

I am retiring a TiVo HD S3 and would like to transfer all of the saved video files to a TiVo Premier. Everything I have found on the forum and the internet refers me to software such as TiVo Desktop or PyTiVo but those programs don't work on copyrighted files. Is there a way to physically transfer all files, including those that are copyrighted and those I have purchased from Amazon from my S3 to my Premier?

Thanks in advance for any help you can provide.

2. Arcady

Arcady Stargate Fan

Oct 14, 2004
    Philadelphia...
    You can't move copy-protected shows or Amazon downloads.

You can re-download your videos from Amazon until April 15th, 2015.

3. Dan203

Dan203 Super Moderator Staff Member TCF Club

Apr 17, 2000
    Nevada
    If the files are protected then you can not move them. You should be able to redownload all the Amazon stuff if you do it quickly (they're ending that service soon) but there is no way to get the protected recordings.

4. wmcbrine

wmcbrine Well-Known Mumbler

Aug 2, 2003
    Also, just for reference, you don't need any software nor a PC to transfer recordings between TiVos; just plug them into the same network (and make sure they're both active on the account -- otherwise you will have to use an intermediary system). But the same rules apply.

Also also, just to be pedantic, almost everything you watch is copyrighted -- meaning there's an entity that has legal, theoretical control over the right to copy it. The term you're looking for, to describe something that actually can't be copied (due to technical measures), is different. The content industry prefers the nonsensical, warm-and-fuzzy sounding term "copy-protected", and that's what you'll see most often. I prefer the more accurate "copy-prohibited", which sounds as unpleasant as it is.

5. Arcady

Arcady Stargate Fan

Oct 14, 2004
    Philadelphia...

Advertisements

It would be nice if TiVo would change the language on the screen for copy-protected shows.

Currently it says that transfers are prohibited by the copyright holder. This is complete bull.

Here's my suggestion for a change:

"This program is copyrighted, just like every show you have ever recorded. Your CABLE COMPANY has decided that they don't want you to copy this show to another device, BECAUSE THEY CAN. There is no other reason why you can't copy this program."

6. Dan203

Dan203 Super Moderator Staff Member TCF Club

Apr 17, 2000
    Nevada
    A better option would be for them to add a "move" feature for protected shows, like the one they now offer for the iOS app, where it transfers the show and then automatically deletes is from the source TiVo so it doesn't violate the "copy once" flag.

7. MichaelAinNB

MichaelAinNB Member

Dec 28, 2013
    Thank you for all the responses. I was able to redownload some of my files from Amazon but unfortunately, I already met the number of allowable downloads for others. I was hoping it was possible to do a physical file transfer from one hard drive to another but apparently that's not possible.
    Thanks again for the prompt and informative replies.

8. markfheil

markfheil Member

Mar 22, 2006
    West Haven, CT
    Except that you are wrong. It is the cable or broadcast CHANNEL (ie. HBO, BBC America, etc.) that sets the copy-protection flag on behalf of the copyright holder. Your cable company has nothing to do with this. In fact, over the air channels sometimes set this flag on their digital signals.

9. ej42137

ej42137 Well-Known Member

Feb 15, 2014
    Los Angeles
    If that were true I would expect that all cable companies would have copy protection flags set exactly the same for a given channel. In fact this is not the case. For example, AMC is copy protected in some areas and in others it is not.

10. wmcbrine

wmcbrine Well-Known Mumbler

Aug 2, 2003
    There's no need to fight -- you're both wrong. ;) Although Arcady is closer.

On Verizon Fios, for example, the flag wasn't used at all, for many years. Then, at the behest of HBO, it was turned on for the HBO and Cinemax channels, only. It still isn't used for anything else, not even Showtime or Starz.

Meanwhile, over on -- TWC, is it? -- the flag is set on everything except for the broadcast channels, which are only spared because the FCC prohibits it being set there. (The "broadcast flag" that used to be used by some OTA stations is a whole other long story.)

In any case, it's specious to say that this is done "on behalf of the copyright holder". The flag is set indiscriminately, on a channel-by-channel basis -- not program-by-program. Even a public domain program, with no copyright holder, will be flagged if it happens to air on a flagged channel. (This is rare, but it does happen -- think pre-1920's movies.)

11. unitron

unitron Well-Known Member

Apr 28, 2006
    semi-coastal NC

And sometimes some TWC markets set it on the broadcast stuff as well, until someone threatens to call the FCC on them.