How to make Mini not display live tv??????

Discussion in 'TiVo Mini' started by Hichhiker, Jul 8, 2019.

1. Jul 8, 2019 #1 of 11
    Hichhiker

Hichhiker Just me.

Apr 21, 2002
    All of a sudden the Mini Vox I have is showing me live TV all the time. I never watch live TV on it so it is not like I am leaving it on. Why is it doing this?? The main Premiere unit does this sometimes, but there is a setting in the menu to disable it (though it sometimes does it anyway, but it wouldn't be a modern Tivo if it was not at least a little buggy). But the same menu item is not present in Mini - and it annoys the hell out of me. Besides aesthetic annoyances, it is wasting bandwidth sending video nobody is watching, not to mention locking up one of the tuners for no good reason.

Any way to stop this insanity?

(Yes, I know that if I hit the "slow" button, it will go away for a few hours, but it always comes back and it is annoying.)

2. adspguy

adspguy Member

Apr 30, 2002
    Put the mini in standby when you are not using it.

3. JoeKustra

JoeKustra in the other Alabama TCF Club

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    Since you never watch live TV on the Mini, when you finish watching the recording or streaming, what button do you hit?

4. Hichhiker

Hichhiker Just me.

Apr 21, 2002
    How? The only way I know is through many menus

TV Power. Occasionally I hit Tivo. I usually hit Tivo button on turning it on. Never been an issue before

5. JoeKustra

JoeKustra in the other Alabama TCF Club

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    There have been changes in CEC. Try hitting the TiVo button, which is next to the TV Power button.

With TE4, if you put the Mini in Standby, you have to wait for the white LED to go out before hitting the TV power button or it will block Standby. That changed about six months ago.

6. Hichhiker

Hichhiker Just me.

Apr 21, 2002
    I am not sure if standby fixes the whole problem. For one, it is a ridiculous pain in the ass to go through menus to find the standby every time. For another, it will still show live TV when I explicitly do not want it and it didn't used to. Why break what was working fine? It looks like they accidentally activated part of the main unit's code on this thing but didn't think through that the part that controls it was not included. :-(

7. ke3ju

ke3ju Ed Ludwig

Jan 4, 2004
    Seminole, FL
    From the TiVo Home Screen hit the Slow Motion Button. Hitting the the Slow Mo button will toggle between showing Live TV all the time, and not.

8. Hichhiker

Hichhiker Just me.

Apr 21, 2002
    Yeah, very familiar with it. Have to do it every few hours, because live TV keeps coming back :-(

9. ke3ju

ke3ju Ed Ludwig

Jan 4, 2004
    Seminole, FL
    On mine, if it's toggled off, it stays off.

10. Dan203

Dan203 Super Moderator Staff Member TCF Club

Apr 17, 2000
    Nevada
    The Mini will drop to to live TV when you get an EAS alert. It will stay there for 4 hours until it times out after this happens. That’s likely what's causing it to be on live TV

11. slowbiscuit

slowbiscuit FUBAR

Sep 19, 2006
    In the ATL
    Yep, sure sounds like too much EAS.