How To Keep Track Of What Has Been Transferred To New TiVo

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by Digital Man, Dec 26, 2016.

1. Digital Man

Digital Man Member

Jan 2, 2013

Advertisements

I just got my new Bolt + up and running. So far everything is working great. I am now trying to move my recordings from my Premiere to the Bolt +. What is the best way to do that? I am trying to do it on TiVo.com, but is there a way to tell which shows have been transferred and which still need to be transferred? I selected them all and clicked Transfer but there doesn't seem to be a process bar or any obvious way to see what has already been transferred. What's the best way to do this?

Thanks.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

2. krkaufman

krkaufman TDL shepherd

Nov 25, 2003
    'To Do List' on receiving DVR displays shows yet to transfer, but I'm not sure how to find previously transferred shows. Perhaps 'History'?

3. Series3Sub

Series3Sub Well-Known Member

Mar 14, 2010
    Yeah, there really is no definitive feature for keeping track. In face, on a few ocassions, I started a tramsfer for a show that was already transferred weeks ago. I love the transfer feature, but I don't think TiVo envisioned mass transfers when the feature was desinged. Way back when it was about being able to finish watching a show in another room or sharing a few recordings. Sadly, I don't think we will ever get a real way to keep track.

4. HerronScott

HerronScott Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2002
    Staunton, VA
    If I were transferring all my shows from the old TiVo's to a new one, I'd do it by groups/shows and then just track the groups/shows with a spreadsheet (or paper). :)

Scott

5. twalsh22

twalsh22 Member

Aug 28, 2015

Advertisements

Use your TV to view My Shows one one of the TiVos and smart phone or tablet to view My Shows on the other TiVo. That way you can see both at the same time and pretty easily see what was transfered.

6. Digital Man

Digital Man Member

Jan 2, 2013
    Yes, transferring by Tivo online doesn't seem to be very well thought out, but as far as I know that's the only way to bulk transfer currently.

I've now hit a problem where my transfers seem to have stopped. They are still listed on the ToDo List of the receiving DVR as "Will Be Downloaded", but as far as I can tell nothing has transferred all day. When I first started the transfers, there was a Cancel option but it's not there anymore. I did refresh my browser so maybe that messed it up. So I can't cancel and re-start as far as I can tell and don't now how to kick-start it to continue transferring. Any suggestions?

Also, if I tell Tivo online to transfer a recording that already exists on the destination box, is it smart enough to skip it or will it transfer it again?

Thanks.

7. sfhub

sfhub Well-Known Member

Jan 6, 2007
    If you hit Record on the unit name it will bring up secret migrate menu to move all the shows to your new box.

Wait, that is just wishful thinking :)

MacBrian likes this.
  8. Digital Man

Digital Man Member

Jan 2, 2013
    OK, I think I found a way to make the transfers continue. I tried forcing a connect and then a power cycle on the source box and that didn't do anything. Then I went back to Tivo Online and I selected a single show and told it to transfer it. It transferred that show but it looks like it continued on and is now transferring other shows I originally asked it to transfer. I'm using kmttg to view the shows on the destination box to see what is transferring. The currently transferring show has a Duration of 0 and a Mbps of Infinity so that's how I know something is transferring.

I also realized when I selected All on Tivo Online, it included the Tivo Suggestions which I don't want transferred. So I just deleted all the suggestions from the source box so hopefully it will skip over those now.

9. Digital Man

Digital Man Member

Jan 2, 2013
    I may have spoken too soon. It transferred two additional shows beyond the one I told it to transfer but now appears to have stopped transferring again.

On the destination box's ToDo list, if I select a recording that says "Will Be Downloaded", there is an option to Stop Recording or something like that. Will that cancel the transfer? It might be worth it for me to go through and cancel all the scheduled transfers and then start it over just doing one day at a time so I can keep track of it.

10. UCLABB

UCLABB Well-Known Member

May 29, 2012
    Riverside, CA
    I know that when transferring from TiVo to TiVo just using the box menu, it is best not to do too many at one time. My experience is that if you have a lot queued up, it will stop before finishing. I think you are on the right track by just queueing up a modest amount at one time.

11. Digital Man

Digital Man Member

Jan 2, 2013
    My transfers ran most of the day, then quit again. To get then to resume, I canceled a scheduled transfer on the receiving box's ToDo list by going to Modify Recording -> Cancel Recording. Then I go back to Tivo Online and select just the show I just canceled and tell it to transfer that one show. This seems to make it resume transferring the next show on the list. The transfer I cancel and transfer again goes to the end of the queue of shows to transfer.

12. orangefur

orangefur New Member

Nov 29, 2004
    Massachusetts
    I had the same issue with the shows not transferring from my Premiere boxes to my new TiVo Bolt. I tried canceling and rescheduling transfers, but even after everything was canceled, the Bolt still seemed to think it already had scheduled transfers. I rebooted the Bolt and that seemed to work. I set up 5 shows to transfer and I'm on the 4th one now and they are still going. Once all 5 are complete, I'll schedule an additional ~5 shows and see how that goes. Luckily I don't have too many shows that are critical to transfer!!

13. sar840t2

sar840t2 Member

Mar 1, 2003
    Edmonds,...
    After you have finished transferring, watch each and every recording completely to make sure it transferred the whole recording.

OK, that's not practical, so what I did was run two instances of kmttg (one pointed at each TiVo) and compared the file size and bitrate for each recording. Still a PITA (and hopefully the filesystem isn't lying about the size/contents of each file).

Also unless you are selling it, I would recommend keeping the old TiVo on your network (no need for a cablecard) so that you can watch recordings that you forgot to transfer (or that failed to transfer, or whose closed captioning got trashed by the transfer, or ...). You will need to keep service on that old TiVo though.

14. Digital Man

Digital Man Member

Jan 2, 2013
    That's a good idea to pull up two instances of kmttg and compare file sizes, I'll try that. I did pull up two instances of the Tivo online web interface, but that only made sure the episodes were on both, not whether the file sizes were the same.