How to keep TIVO server running on Windows XP

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by Q2112, Jul 15, 2007.

1. Q2112

Q2112 New Member

Sep 12, 2006

Advertisements

I have a TIVO Series2 and TIVO Server 2.4a and Windows XP.

I have serveral logins for my family members on our windows XP machine.

The TIVO server starts when I log into the XP machine and the TIVO server stops when I log out of the XP machine.

How can I set up the TIVO server to run all the time on the XP machine so I don't have to be logged into the XP machine in order to transfer shows from the XP machine to the TIVO?

2. WayneCarter

WayneCarter Active Member

Mar 16, 2003
    There may be a more elegant way of accomplishing this, but you can define another "User" which starts the TiVo server. Then just leave that "User" logged in (by "switching users" rather than logging the "User" off). The other (real) users can log in and out as usual. All non-interactive processes started by the "User" will continue to function until the process is stopped or the "User" is logged out.

HINT - Use a password on the "User's" account to prevent it being logged out by mistake (a real user must enter the "User's" password to regain interactive control of "User" - such as to log "User" off).

3. TiVolunteer

TiVolunteer lotta lurk rare post

Jul 10, 2001
    Cary, NC
    You might want to try FireDaemon -- http://www.firedaemon.com/

It will run any Windows application as a Windows service without logging in and also provides automatic restart. I've not used it with the TiVo server but I've used in other similar situations. YMMV

It will cost you $35 but they do have a 30-day free trial download.

4. Q2112

Q2112 New Member

Sep 12, 2006
    I have tried firedaemon and batch files and still no luck.

The problem seems to be with TIVOTransfer.exe I cannot get it to start at system reboot. It won't start until I log into the xp machine.

Any ideas? are there special parameters I need to add to the log file to start tivoserver at reboot?

somebody has to have run into this before