How to have Tivo Desktop and pyTivo both installed at the same time?

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by Dougmeister, Apr 14, 2018.

1. Dougmeister

Dougmeister Member

Mar 28, 2007

Advertisements

I had Tivo Desktop installed and working fine until the strange hiccup that occurred last weekend.

So I decided to try pyTivo. It seems GREAT, but... I can't get them both to work at the same time (from the Tivo's point of view). That is probably because they're both doing the same thing, right? I can only have the pyTivo folder *or* the Tivo Desktop folder from my computer show up in the Tivo Roamio's "My Shows" at the very bottom?

The only way I could get the pyTivo folder to show up was to completely uninstall Tivo Desktop and re-install pyTivo on top of itself. There has to be an easier way.

(The only reason I'm keeping Tivo Desktop is to edit .tivo files with Video ReDo.)

Edit: I see that I missed the last post in another thread that I started about Copying from pc to tivo with pytivo. ggiseke recommended a partial uninstall of Tivo Desktop. Is that the best way to go?

Last edited: Apr 14, 2018
  2. JoeKustra

JoeKustra in the other Alabama TCF Club

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    Obviously, as you learned, you can't use both at the same time. So I have Bonjour as a Manual Start service. Once it starts, I can start TD then restart the server from the Server Properties pull down. For pyTiVo Desktop, I don't install it as a service. I must run pyTiVo then the GUI. I usually restart the computer between the two programs.

I seldom use either program. When I need them they are there.

3. ggieseke

ggieseke Well-Known Member

May 30, 2008
    Reinstall TiVo Desktop and get the MAK configured correctly. Then uninstall it using the Remove Partial option. That will remove everything except the decryption layer that VRD uses. It also lets you play TiVo files in Media Player.

4. HerronScott

HerronScott Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2002
    Staunton, VA
    You might ask Dan about pyTivo Desktop and VideoRedo since he has a little to do with both. ;)

I thought he had said that he added the pieces needed for VideoRedo to pyTivo Desktop, but if you did the pyTivo Desktop install and then the uninstall of TiVo Desktop, I'm guessing they were uninstalled (as opposed to uninstalling TiVo Desktop, rebooting and then installing pyTivo Desktop). Again that's only if he really did include the pieces needed in his package.

Scott

5. Dougmeister

Dougmeister Member

Mar 28, 2007

Advertisements

Thanks for the fast responses!

I performed a partial uninstall of Tivo Desktop then uninstalled/reinstalled pyTivo. All seems to be well. Thanks again, guys.

Mikeguy likes this.
  6. ggieseke

ggieseke Well-Known Member

May 30, 2008
    The partial uninstall option was a really nice touch on the part of whoever wrote the Microsoft Installer package for TiVo Desktop. I'm not a big fan overall and the UI sucked, but there were some good programmers involved in some of the behind-the-scenes stuff like the decryption layer.

krkaufman likes this.
  7. SNJpage1

SNJpage1 Well-Known Member TCF Club

May 25, 2006
    Atlantic...
    I just start the one I want to use manually.

8. philt56

philt56 Member

Aug 21, 2008
    Funny, I installed pytivo after desktop broke. When the fix came, I updated the files and rebooted. Both are still showing up under My Shows.

9. JoeKustra

JoeKustra in the other Alabama TCF Club

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    I noticed that the computer share name stuck around for a while but the "Now Playing" from TD went away pretty quick. I have Bonjour set to manual start in Services.