How to get Tivo to stop switching channels for tivo suggestions

Discussion in 'TiVo Premiere DVRs' started by macgyver58, Jan 30, 2012.

1. macgyver58

macgyver58 New Member

Sep 29, 2010
    I don't mind having Tivo record suggestions but its really annoying when it interrupts something I am watching to ask if it can switch the channel to record a suggestion. Who the heck programmed the unit that way. Seriously do they think Tivo has a better idea of what I want to watch than I do?? Is there some way to change the settings so it doesn't do that anymore without turning off suggestions altogether?

2. rainwater

rainwater Active Member

Sep 21, 2004
    Settings & Messages/Settings/Recording/TiVo Suggestions.

3. pdhenry

pdhenry Recumbent

Feb 27, 2005
    PA
    Not sure what behavioral alternative you're looking for. Sure you expect it to ask before changing the channel on the tuner being displayed.

If it's asking to change the channel you're watching, that means that something else is already going to record on the other tuner (it will use the non-displayed tuner if possible. In fact, if you've been flipping back and forth between tuners recently it will even ask before changing the channel on the tuner you're not cuirrently watching). So it will have used the other tuner if it could and may or may not ask before doing that.

What would you prefer? You've already said you're looking for an alternative to just not recording suggestions...

4. macgyver58

macgyver58 New Member

Sep 29, 2010
    I guess what I'm looking for is a way for the unit to know that the tuner is on that channel because I am watching something and to not bother me at all. There should be a simple way for the unit to know the tuner is not just idle. For example if someone has used the remote in the past hour or so then just leave them alone. Most suggestions are completely unimportant or very low priority to most users so if it errs on the side of not recording something that wouldnt be a tragedy.

5. slowbiscuit

slowbiscuit FUBAR

Sep 19, 2006
    In the ATL
    Well, that's just it - what value do you set the idle timer for?

6. macgyver58

macgyver58 New Member

Sep 29, 2010
    There's an idle timer??? Perhaps thats the answer i was looking for. How do I get to that in the menu?

7. aristoBrat

aristoBrat Well-Known Member

Dec 30, 2002
    Va Beach, VA
    That was a rhetorical question, there is no such timer that you can change.

8. macgyver58

macgyver58 New Member

Sep 29, 2010
    But thats the answer to the problem. A couple of lines of code would resolve the issue

9. ronaldheft

ronaldheft New Member

Aug 18, 2011
    I disagree a couple of lines of code would be the solution. If you add any timer, even as low as 5 minutes, you run the risk of missing a recording when the TV is actually idle. I think TiVo has the best solution here. While annoying, the confirmation ensures the suggestion gets recorded if idle or ignored if something is being watched. If you miss something on your live program due to the confirmation, just rewind it back a bit. :)

10. rainwater

rainwater Active Member

Sep 21, 2004
    All TiVos have a idle checker to determine if the user is watching tv. Any button press (even when controlling the tv like with volume) is sent to the TiVo so it knows you are watching live tv. If you leave your TiVo on a channel for several hours without hitting the remote it will eventually determine you aren't watching it. You should always get a prompt when it goes to change channels. If you often watch hours of the same channel, it is probably a good idea to turn off suggestions.

11. macgyver58

macgyver58 New Member

Sep 29, 2010
    I don't see how that would be a problem. All you would miss is a TiVo suggestion that I didnt ask it to record in the first place. Of course it might be something you might be interested in but I would venture to guess that most people never look at them or delete the majority of them anyway. Besides it wouldn't be that hard to give the viewer the option of disabling that function.

It would be a reasonable option between not using suggestions at all and having it butt in to your TV viewing every time it wants to record a show you most likely have no interest in.

12. aristoBrat

aristoBrat Well-Known Member

Dec 30, 2002
    Va Beach, VA
    Have you seen TiVoMargret on the forums here? She's the VP of Design at TiVo, and she's fairly active on the forum here. Tell her that it's just a couple of lines of code that need to be changed, and ask her when she can get it done for you. :up:

13. Grakthis

Grakthis New Member

Oct 4, 2006
    What if you're watching TV and the TiVo has a suggestion that is actually better than what you're watching?

But now it doesn't notify you of its suggestion because you used the remote in the last hour. Ooops.

14. macgyver58

macgyver58 New Member

Sep 29, 2010
    There's a cost to everything. You can't go through life worrying what you might have missed. You only have 2 ( or 4 if you have an elite) tuners. Think of all the things your missing on the hundreds of channels you're not recording. Maybe TiVo suggestions missed something you would really like. We would have to have dozens of Tivo's and do nothing but watch TV all day if we're going to worry about that.

Putting that aside, it would be easy to give the Tivo owner the option of shutting off this feature if they didn't want it. All I'm saying is the Suggestions feature has its uses but they are limited in our household. Right now I have only two options. Deal with its constant interruptions or turn the feature off. I think a lot of people would appreciate a third option.

15. macgyver58

macgyver58 New Member

Sep 29, 2010
    Cool. Thanks for the info. I'll do that ;) Hopefully she wont have to take time away from all the earth shattering, life changing upgrades that everyone else on this board wants :p

16. jrtroo

jrtroo Chill- its just TV

Feb 4, 2008
    Chicagoland
  17. macgyver58

macgyver58 New Member

Sep 29, 2010
  18. gonzotek

gonzotek tivo_xml developer

Sep 24, 2004
    Outside...
    There's also an alternative to waiting for TiVo to implement any changes in their code:

If you are watching something live (or within the 30 minute buffer) and have any remote interest in it whatsoever, just press the Record button on your remote. This starts a process that lets TiVo know you'd prefer not to be interrupted by suggestions, and has the bonus effect of storing the program for later, in case you're interrupted while it is still airing.

I know this post might come across as snarky, but consider trying it anyway, you might be satisfied with the result.

19. macgyver58

macgyver58 New Member

Sep 29, 2010

Thanks. It wasn't snarky at all. It's the most useful response anyone has actually posted in this thread. It sounds like a reasonable work around for now

20. jrtroo

jrtroo Chill- its just TV

Feb 4, 2008
    Chicagoland
    Note, that exact suggestion is already on the other thread. It is a good one!