How to get my TiVo wirelessly to my TV

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by REG1976, Sep 9, 2019.

1. REG1976

REG1976 New Member

Sep 9, 2019

Advertisements

I am trying to get my TiVo (live tv and recorded shows) to my television.

Setup:
    Fios Cable is connected to the TiVo (6 channel Roamio) box. There is cable-in and internet connection by where the Fios Box and the TiVo box are. It is the only cable and internet junction in the house. There is no TV in that location.

Wireless is strong throughout the house using a mesh network

LG Smart TV lives on the second floor with no access to cable or internet.

Previously:
    Was using IR to bring the TiVo upstairs. That worked for about a year and then died. We switched the TV to the LG this month, in the hopes that having a wireless/internet enabled TV could help. (last TV was 10 years old).

Other technology available:
    We have an Apple TV. Also willing to invest in a Roku stick or other if it makes sense.

There must be a way to use the wireless network or internet enabled to TV to get the TiVo up to the TV so we can start enjoying our recorded programs and live TV again. Right now we can only watch on our iPads despite the fact we have a brand new beautiful TV.

Please help!!!!!

2. krkaufman

krkaufman TDL shepherd

Nov 25, 2003
    If you have a wireless mesh, where is the nearest mesh satellite box relative to the LG Smart TV? If the mesh node was at/near the LG Smart TV location, you could wire a TiVo Mini VOX to the mesh node to piggyback on the mesh node's network connectivity. If a mesh node isn't nearby the LG Smart TV location, you could just use a wireless bridge device (e.g. D-Link DAP-1650) at the LG Smart TV location to supply a TiVo Mini VOX with its required network connection. Add a Gigabit network switch in either case if additional Ethernet ports are required to connect more devices than just the Mini.

TiVo officially requires wired Ethernet or MoCA connections for a whole home setup, but many have had success with DIY wireless connections ... where the Wi-Fi setup offers the requisite bandwidth/latency.

3. bob1000

bob1000 New Member

Aug 15, 2019
    1) I have used spare routers as wireless bridges many times. Netgear has given me the best experience. Asus has erratic and unreliable wireless bridges, in my experience. This includes their AiMesh. DD-WRT on an Asus router works well.

2) I recently put in a pair of bonded 2.0 Moca adapters. They replace a wireless bridge (Asus RT-AC66U-B1 using DD-WRT which worked very well with a Tivo mini). The adapter plugs into a wireless router working as an access point. The mini works well with the moca 2.0. Throughput is great.

3) I also am using a powerline adapter into a spare router that's an access point in another room. Another Tivo mini also works well there. Throughput is adequate.

4. Darrell Patton

Darrell Patton Active Member

Jul 19, 2018
    Put the Roamio next to the TV, connect the Roamio to the TV with a HDMI connection, and connect the Roamio to the internet using Wifi.

5. JoeKustra

JoeKustra in the other Alabama TCF Club

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...

Advertisements

And the cable?

I vote for post 2.

6. lhvetinari

lhvetinari Watching telly, drinking wine - Lily Allen

Jun 24, 2019
    Chicago
    How far apart are the Tivo and TV? There's wireless HDMI transmitters with ranges of 75-100 ft.

Otherwise, I'd go with post 2 - Mini Vox for the TV, connect a Wifi bridge to the ethernet port.