How to format a new Disk?

Discussion in 'TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs' started by slimjim867, Dec 12, 2010.

1. slimjim867

slimjim867 Member

Sep 20, 2005

Advertisements

I have a 1TB drive that was previously formatted through Windows Disk Management. When i try to use WinMFS to restore a backup to that drive, WinMFS crashes. In the WinMFS site i noticed that it said NOT to use Disk Management to format a drive. So, it is formatted in NTFS.
    Hopefully, this is why WinMFS is crashing.
    Can someone tell me the proper way to format a Disk for use in a TivoHD?

I'm posting here because I am not getting a response on the MFSLive site.
    Thanks for your help.

2. qdemn7

qdemn7 New Member

Jun 7, 2005
    Fort Worth,...
    Have you tried deleting the Volume is Disk Management? Go into Disk Management, right click, choose - Delete Volume. I would also un-assign the drive letter if you have given it a drive letter. Right Click - Change Drive Letter and Paths.

3. slimjim867

slimjim867 Member

Sep 20, 2005

Yep I did exactly that. This allowed WinMFS to see the drive but then crash.
    Notice, in my post that i said..... "In the WinMFS site i noticed that it said NOT to use Disk Management to format a drive. " So, I'm thinking that maybe WinMFS is crashing because I have formatted the disk for Windows while Tivo is Linux. If this is the case, I need to re-format the disk in the proper way so that WinMFS will work with it.

So,
    Can anyone tell me if this is in fact my problem and if so, how to properly re-format my disk?
    Thanks mucho

4. orangeboy

orangeboy yes, I AM orangeboy!

Apr 19, 2004
    East Moline, IL
    Maybe find a low-level format tool from the manufacture?

5. Donny Bahama

Donny Bahama New Member

Feb 21, 2009

Advertisements

Google for a disk editor, then zero out the first several sectors. Easy-peasy.

6. slimjim867

slimjim867 Member

Sep 20, 2005
    Thanks slot. I grabbed an editor from sourceforge b4 I left for work. I'll give it a go when I get home this afternoon I'll post with the results.

7. unitron

unitron Well-Known Member

Apr 28, 2006
    semi-coastal NC

Get, and boot from, the MFS Live CD.

At the command line:

hdparm -N /dev/the drive in question

It'll be something like /dev/hda or /dev/hdb or /dev/sda or /dev/sdb depending on how you've got things hooked up.

If you're using a 1TB drive I assume it's SATA, so unless you're using a SATA to IDE adapter, it'll likely be /dev/sda or sdb or sdc or sdd, etc.

What you want to find out is if there's a Host Protected Area or other sequestering of some of the drive's capacity going on.

If there is, post back and we'll figure it out from there.

If not, then using dd to write zeros to the drive (or at least the first few MB) is the way to go. Restoring from an MFS Live or WinMFS backup will create the necessary partition structure.

Just don't have any other hard drives or other erasable storage connected when you run dd.

8. wevets

wevets New Member

May 16, 2005
    Portland, OR
    Slightly off topic, but I have a crashed series 2 TiVo. Disk is dead. Can I use the what's discussed here to build a new disk? I've looked around a lot and every talks like the only way to build a new TiVo disk is to backup and restore an existing disk. I don't have a working disk to backup from. What are my options? Can someone point me to a thread where I can create a new TiVo series 2 disk from scratch? (Well, from a new disk, anyway. :)

Thanks.

9. magnus

magnus Tivo User

Nov 12, 2004
    Texas
    Take a look here and ask for someone to give you a backup image. You'll need to provide the exact model number from the back of your Tivo.

10. unitron

Apr 28, 2006
    semi-coastal NC
    The way to do it is for "someone" to back up a working disk.

And then share copies of the resulting file.

How do you know that it's the disk and only the disk that's gone bad?

(S2 and S3 power supplies are starting to suffer from capacitor disease/plague, and can produce all sorts of strange symptoms before they finish dying. We can direct you to sites that'll tell you how to visually spot the problem and suggest remedies.)

There should be a model number on the sticker on the back where the power cord plugs in and unless you've got one of those TiVos with the DVD built in (or one from the companies that made them) the model number should begin with TCD.

You should tell us what that number is.

Have you opened the unit up yet?

If so, what's the brand, model, and LBA number on the hard drive?

You should also go to mfslive.org and start reading up on the MFS Live cd v1.4 and the program WinMFS, two different things from the same guy which do much of the same things but can't use each other's backup images.

MFS Live is the latest incarnation of mfs tools, earlier versions of which you may find mention of at various places on the internet.

Even if I didn't have a TiVo, my life would have been made easier by having downloaded the image of the MFS Live cd and burning myself a copy because of other stiff included on it.

11. wevets

wevets New Member

May 16, 2005
    Portland, OR
    Magnus and Unitron,

Thanks.

The model number of the TiVo is TCD24004A
    The Service No., if that might help, is 240-0000-E071-3A4A

wevets

12. unitron

Apr 28, 2006
    semi-coastal NC
    It'll be a while before I can upload images again.

One of the two files mentioned in this post

http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb/showthread.php?p=8707432#post8707432

has aged off due to lack of activity (the MFS Live one), but the other (the WinMFS one) has apparently been downloaded recently enough and is still available.

It will have to be restored to a larger than average 80GB drive (the Maxtor it came from has a higher LBA number than most other 80GB drives), or a drive larger than 80GB.

Otherwise it should work in a TCD24004A just fine.

Of course if the problem isn't actually your drive this image won't fix anything.

If your PC has a GigaByte brand motherboard we need to know before you do anything else because they tend to put Host Protected Area on drives if you don't take specific precautions.

Otherwise, you should get hold of the manufacturer's diagnostic software for your TiVo drive and run the long test on it to see if it has a problem or not.

Does your TiVo put the welcome screen on the TV screen and just sit there?

Have you tried any of the kickstart codes?

(there's a very good chance you've got a capacitor in the power supply going bad)

Don't do anything that will write to your original TiVo drive until and unless I specifically tell you to do so.

Go to mfslive.org and download the zip of the .iso of the MFS Live cd v1.4 and burn yourself a copy to have on hand.

Also download the WinMFS program from that same site.

While you're there, read everything. Twice. Then I'll tell you the parts where I think I know better than it does.:)