How to FORCE maintence mode for GSOD

Discussion in 'TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs' started by TBoyd, Aug 12, 2007.

1. TBoyd

TBoyd Less Cable, More Cloud

Apr 9, 2000
    SF Bay...
    I get the GSOD a couple times a week on my S3. I'm planning to buy a larger drive and just solve the problem that way, but my priorities preclude me from doing that immediately.

I've read in off-line Internet forums that while re-starting (from un-plugged) the S3 (actually S2 instructions) you can press the PAUSE button at a particular place and enter 58 to have the S3 go into a drive scan mode to try and correct disk errors. I've tried this several times and NEVER got it to go into the maintenace mode.

Could the sequence and timing be different for the S3 relative to the S2 note?

Any other ideas on how I could force this mode on my S3?

Thanks,
    Tim

2. Narf54321

Narf54321 New Member

Mar 29, 2005
    There are four LED lights on the front of the S3 (not sure how many are on the TivoHD "S3_Lite").

WHen first powered on, all four LEDs will light, the TV screen should say something like "Welcome Powering Up". Then the four LEDs will go dark. Within a few moments just the ORANGE LED will briefly come on.

When you see just the ORANGE LED come on during bootup, hit PAUSE on the remote, then your 2-digit code (5 8 or whatever).

If you don't hit pause within the brief timeframe the ORANGE LED is lit, then you have to opwer down and start over to try again.

3. MichaelK

MichaelK Active Member

Jan 10, 2002
    NJ
    you can also just hold down the pause on the remote the entire time untill the orange light lights to be sure you dont miss it.