1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How to find host id without cable card.

Discussion in 'TiVo Bolt DVR/Streamer' started by D. Weaver, Aug 11, 2017.

Tags:
  1. D. Weaver

D. Weaver New Member

Aug 11, 2017
    Hello,

I recently bought a new Tivo Bolt and wanted to use an old cable card I had from a previous Tivo. However, when I try to call my cable provider they ask for the host id for my new Tivo. I am unable to attain, especially when inserting the old cable card (paired to a Tivo thats been in a closet). My cable provider says they cannot help if I don't know the host id. This includes if I were to go to the store and get a brand new card. Has anyone come across this issue?

Thanks,

D

2. Nickipedia

Nickipedia Nick of Time TCF Club

Jul 18, 2015
    Michigan/D.C.
    Go to Settings -> Remote, Cablecard & Devices -> Cablecard decoder ->Cablecard Options (for Installers) -> CableCard Menu -> CableCard Pairing

It will list your Host ID and Data ID.

3. D. Weaver

D. Weaver New Member

Aug 11, 2017
    Appreciate the response, but the old cable card is giving my Bolt an error message, 161-1. The representative from my cable provider says they cannot pair the card to my new tivo device without the host id. I was also led believe that getting a new card from my local provider won't help without the host id either.

4. kpeters59

kpeters59 Active Member

Jun 19, 2007
    So, you're saying those steps failed when you followed them?

I was unsure if you could get to that menu without a card, but figured if you did have a card, even when an error might occur, that you'd be able to retrieve the Host ID...no?

-KP

5. mdavej

mdavej Well-Known Member

Aug 13, 2015
    I don't know who led you to believe that. But assuming you can't navigate to the screen KP posted, a new cable card will fix it, and you will be able to see the host and data IDs to get the new card activated. If not, your Tivo has a major hardware issue and needs to be replaced.

6. D. Weaver

D. Weaver New Member

Aug 11, 2017
    Yes, I followed the steps, but was unsuccessful. The error message 161-1 pops up continually and will knock me out of whatever menu screen I'm in (comes in as almost a notification). My Tivo isn't registering a card in the device, even though it's the proper M card.

Will visit my local cable store tomorrow.

7. kpeters59

kpeters59 Active Member

Jun 19, 2007
    CableCards don't fail too often...did you try to remove and carefully reinsert it?

-KP

Nickipedia and mdavej like this.
  8. Nickipedia

Nickipedia Nick of Time TCF Club

Jul 18, 2015
    Michigan/D.C.
    The Host ID and Data ID are also listed under Diagnostics

9. JoeKustra

JoeKustra in the other Alabama TCF Club

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    Older Motorola cards don't work in my Premiere. I think the part number (middle number) needs to be -017- or higher. I bought a few off eBay years ago. The oldest doesn't even show its information. My feed doesn't pair customer owned cards anyhow.

That number, like the card's MAC, is only found on the card. TiVo's diagnostics still don't include the information.

10. buildersboy66

buildersboy66 New Member

Dec 9, 2016
    Florida
    Is your coax cable connected? I bet not! There is your fix.

11. buildersboy66

buildersboy66 New Member

Dec 9, 2016
    Florida
    I hate to admit I went through hours on phone trying to get my bolt+ set up and cablecard transferred. 161-1 errors, cablecard loading incomplete 72%...lol the coax cable was not connected to the bolt+ all that time.

12. HerronScott

HerronScott Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2002
    Staunton, VA
    Oops. :)

Scott

13. D. Weaver

D. Weaver New Member

Aug 11, 2017
    Thank you everyone for the response! The COAX cable has been plugged in this entire time. I also went to my local cable store today and got a new M-Card, same issues. I looked at the Tivo and none of the pins are bent for the M Card slot. When I'm on the phone with my cable provider they are saying they cannot bind the card to my Tivo. My Tivo on the other hand doesn't seem to recognize that a card is inserted.

14. sfhub

sfhub Well-Known Member

Jan 6, 2007
    Try giving the screws on either side of the cablecard bracket a quarter turn counter clock wise.

Some folks mentioned with the screws factory-level tightened their card wasn't recognized but slightly loosening them fixed the problem.

15. D. Weaver

D. Weaver New Member

Aug 11, 2017
    Thank you for the screw suggestion, sadly, that did not work as well. I soooo hoped it did though.

Fant likes this.
  16. D. Weaver

D. Weaver New Member

Aug 11, 2017
    Any other ideas of how to find the host id? Cable company cannot help me without it. Tivo's technical support over the phone is brutal.

Last edited: Aug 12, 2017
  17. JoeKustra

JoeKustra in the other Alabama TCF Club

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    The host ID is something generated by your box, like a checksum. It is used by some cable companies to "mate" the card to your hardware. If you change the hard drive that number changes and so does your card pairing. A loss of pairing is not usually fatal, and I went over a year without a paired cable card. The cable card pairing menu has that number, as does Diagnostics.

It may be that the cable feed can't proceed with pairing since their software needs it. My feed didn't use it until they encrypted the channels. It's kind of weird since my feed does not copy protect premium channels anyhow.

In Diagnostics there is a line "Paired:". Ignore the "No" that is always there. It's one of a few items that are inactive in Diagnostics & System Information. Your real problem:

"My Tivo on the other hand doesn't seem to recognize that a card is inserted". You have 30 days.

18. kpeters59

kpeters59 Active Member

Jun 19, 2007
  19. D. Weaver

D. Weaver New Member

Aug 11, 2017
    Looks like it ended up being a defective Bolt. Got the replacement and after a few calls, was able to get it up and running. Want to thank everyone who responded and provided input. Glad I was able to get this resolved before Game of Thrones tomorrow. THANKS!

aaronwt, fcfc2 and kpeters59 like this.