How to edito TiVo recordings

Discussion in 'TiVo Home Media Features & TiVoToGo' started by ARK2006, Jan 8, 2006.

1. Jan 8, 2006 #1 of 53
    ARK2006

ARK2006 New Member

Jan 8, 2006
    I have transferred TiVo recorded programs to my computer and would like to be able to edit them. I tried to do in Windows Movie Maker but it says it doesn't support the format. Any suggestions?

2. Jan 8, 2006 #2 of 53
    tonyonlinux

tonyonlinux New Member

Dec 11, 2005
    Here is the steps I use to do it.
    1) Download Tivo Desktop and transfer the content to your pc
    2) Get a program called Direct Show Dump (do a google for it).. run the tivo file in it
    3) Take the mpeg that Direct Show Dump made and then open it up in VideoRedo
    **VideoRedo will let you click on ad detection and remove all the commercials**
    4) Save the file in VideoRedo takes no time at all.
    5) Get Sonic Mydvd If you want to then make a dvd out of your shows.

Hope this helps.

3. Jan 8, 2006 #3 of 53
    dwgsp

dwgsp Member

Aug 27, 2005
    Perinton, NY
    Better yet, get the latest version of VideoReDo and edit the .tivo file directly!

4. Jan 8, 2006 #4 of 53
    davezatz

davezatz Funkadelic

Apr 18, 2002
    Fairfax, VA
    TVharmony might also be worth checking out... no DSD needed, and it's free (compred to VideoReDo). Personally, I'm content with Nero's tools which open most .tivo files natively.

5. Jan 8, 2006 #5 of 53
    c monkey

c monkey New Member

Jan 4, 2006
    Chiacgo, IL

I have Nero but I use the VR in between as a step before I author and Burn with Nero. What do I do so that Nero can open .tivo files natively therefore eliminating the VR step?

6. Jan 8, 2006 #6 of 53
    tonyonlinux

tonyonlinux New Member

Dec 11, 2005
    Oh really the latest version of VideoRedo supports Tivo files made is that just great news. Do you know if owners of the older version are eligible for the upgrade?

7. Jan 8, 2006 #7 of 53
    MikeMar

MikeMar Go Pats

Jan 7, 2005
    Boston...
    Wow, directshow dump is sweet :)

Thanks!!!!!

Gotta play around w/ videora now to get it on my ipod

8. Jan 8, 2006 #8 of 53
    N2DEEP

N2DEEP Rocky Rooooad

Dec 21, 2004
    San Diego,...
    VideoRedo now supports .tivo files, so DirectShow dump is no longer needed if your using VideoRedo to edit your file.

9. Jan 9, 2006 #9 of 53
    emwoods

emwoods New Member

Jan 23, 2005

And a whole lot faster, too. Once I have the .TIVO file on my PC, I have an edited .MPEG in less than 5 to 9 minutes depending on the number of commercials and length of the video. I am pretty sure NVE can do a lot of the same stuff, but VideoRedo is very fast creating the MPEG since it was designed to be a native MPEG editor. For the $$$ and the speed at which I can get stuff done VideoRedo is hard to beat.

Flip side is NVE can do a lot more stuff and you will still need it or something like it if you want to create a DVD that will play in your DVD player. Personally, I convert everything to DIVX which cuts the file size by 80 percent. I can fit 4 - 5 movies on a single layer DVD and it takes only 5 minutes to burn the DVD versus a whole lot longer to burn a DVD that will play in your DVD player. Decent DIVX players can be had for under $60. Full disclosure though that converting from MPEG to DIVX is very CPU intensive and takes roughly that same time to go from MPEG to DIVX at the total playing time for the video, so there really is no free lunch in terms of converting to DIVX versus burning a normal DVD with NVE.

10. Stu_Bee

Stu_Bee New Member

Jan 14, 2002
    Silicon...
    Or if you are lazy, like me, you can use TVharmony to auto-cut out the commercials during transcoding.

11. windracer

windracer joined the 10k club

Jan 3, 2003
    St. Pete, FL
    If you're already a 2.x owner, the upgrade is free. If you have 1.x, it's $20 to upgrade:

http://www.videoredo.com/ProductUpgradePolicy.htm

12. windracer

Jan 3, 2003
    St. Pete, FL
    VideoRedo has an Ad-Detective feature that attempts the same thing ... though I have not played with it much.

13. Dan203

Dan203 Super Moderator Staff Member TCF Club

Apr 17, 2000
    Nevada
    VideoReDo also has automatic commercial detection.

Edit: Jinx!

I've actually used the automatic commercial detection feature of VideoReDo on a .tivo file and it works perfectly. It runs a scan that takes about 5-8 minutes for an hour program. When it's done all the pure black frames are marked with little flags. You can then jump around to each of those flags and use them to mark the start and end of commercial blocks and cut them. Including the scan, cuts and save the whole process took about 15 minutes. Not bad considering most transcoders will take at least realtime on a moderate PC.

Dan

14. c monkey

c monkey New Member

Jan 4, 2006
    Chiacgo, IL
    You can make it even faster. Go to the ad detective tab on VR and set it to automatically cut out commercials detected. You won't have to jump back and forth manually cutting them. The VR does it automatically. Its a great thing really.

15. greg_burns

greg_burns Now in HD

May 21, 2004
    Slower...
    Can you describe where that setting is a little bit more. I cannot find it. :(

When you say ad detective tab, do you mean ad detective menu at the top? And if so, then where? :)

After months of referring this program, I finally put my money where my mouth is. :up:

16. c monkey

c monkey New Member

Jan 4, 2006
    Chiacgo, IL

I am not at home right now and I don't remember off of the top of my head, so I will post it when I get home tonight. But you can find it under that menu by browsing through some of the options and then "checking" the box next to the "automatically delete commercials".

17. windracer

Jan 3, 2003
    St. Pete, FL
    Ad Detective menu, set Ad Detective Parameters item. Then go to the Common Parameters tab and turn on "Automatically Cut Detected Scenes."

My own personal experience with Ad Detective is hit-and-miss, mostly miss. I find it faster to scroll through and put in my own manual cuts rather than waiting for Ad Detective to scan the file and add its markers, then review the markers to make sure it's actually a commercial, etc.

18. greg_burns

greg_burns Now in HD

May 21, 2004
    Slower...
    Thanks. Ad Detective is definately not fool proof. But I like to let it run then I can quickly jump to the markers it sets using F5 & F6 and mousewheel to scroll into the video to see if it is a commercial or not.

Just tried the automatically cut detected scenes... didn't work out so well for me. I think it takes the human touch to determine what are ads and what aren't.

19. emwoods

emwoods New Member

Jan 23, 2005
    Ditto that for my experience. I edit and delete manually. Takes only a few minutes for an hour show and faster than letting Ad Detective do it automatically. Moreover, a lot of shows tend to have the commecial breaks around the same place in the hour.

I usually just edit a bunch of programs, create Project files, and then batch them all up using the batch processor. Walk away and come back in half an hour and you have 6 - 8 one hour programs converted to MPEG video with no commercials. Of course your mileage will vary depending on the speed of your computer.

20. c monkey

c monkey New Member

Jan 4, 2006
    Chiacgo, IL
    Hmm... I've found the automatic detection to be right on. I still go back and check but have never found a commercial that wasn't deleted.