How to drop the land line

Discussion in 'TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs' started by Buster52, Apr 21, 2016.

1. Buster52

Buster52 New Member

Jun 20, 2009

Advertisements

I have a series 3 Tivo that I use to record using an antenna. I am tried of my land line and want to pull the plug on ma bell. I have uverse for my internet. What can I do to get the up date to my Tivo? Thanks

2. worachj

worachj Well-Known Member

Oct 13, 2006
    Eagan, MN
  3. timhbtr53

timhbtr53 Grumpy Old Man

Apr 24, 2014
    In the Deep...
  4. Buster52

Buster52 New Member

Jun 20, 2009
    I have u verse wifi.

5. unitron

unitron Well-Known Member

Apr 28, 2006
    semi-coastal NC

Advertisements

Depending on how large a community is served by your area's Craigslist site, you might find that TiVo brand Wireless G adapter available used for $15-$25 locally.

Or you might find someone selling the same model TiVo as you have with the G adapter thrown in.

If it's not currently subscribed it can never be subscribed again by anyone (TiVo policy change from last fall or so when the Bolt came out) which means it's basically a boat anchor/parts machine and you might be able to get it cheap and have a spare remote and power supply out of the deal in addition to the wireless adapter.

EDIT TO ADD:

If you have the TCD652160, then if someone's selling a TCD658000, the HD XL, the power supply is interchangeable.

If you have the original S3, the TCD648250B, only another one of those will have the right power supply.

6. Buster52

Buster52 New Member

Jun 20, 2009
    I found a AGO100. I looked up how to install it. It looks like it should be easy. But looks are sometime deceiving. Is there something I l should be aware of?

7. unitron

Apr 28, 2006
    semi-coastal NC
    You should look to replace the internal drive with a 2TB one and forget about using an external.

However, for the record, for anyone insisting on using an external, on the later Series 3 models, the TCD652160 (the HD) and the TCD658000 (the HD XL), you have to use either the 500GB or 1TB Western Digital external that is TiVo-certified--there's a TiVo logo on the retail cardboard box and on the external eSATA enclosure itself--because those TiVos have a very short "whitelist" of WD raw drive model numbers, and if the drive inside the enclosure is not one of those models (and possibly a particular firmware version of those models), the TiVo will refuse to work with it.

And apparently they aren't being manufactured anymore so you'd wind up paying premium price for a used one.

The original Series 3, the TCD648250B, will work with other drives connected via eSATA (though you should probably buy a raw drive and an aftermarket eSATA enclosure, to make sure there's not some proprietary circuitry in an external eSATA drive that comes with a drive inside--hard drive makers are always doing sneaky stuff without warning), and in all cases you can only use an external eSATA drive on a TiVo if it still is using the original internal drive and not a larger replacement (or at least if the internal isn't bigger than the original--it has to do with not having the extra partitions a bigger replacement would use to use all the extra space).

But seriously, adding an external means all recordings afterwards are spanned across both drives so you lose all of them if either drive fails, and you're almost certainly going to get more space more cheaply with a 2TB do it yourself replacement internal.

8. tarheelblue32

tarheelblue32 Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2014
    Raleigh, NC
    Or you can always just buy them from TiVo:

https://www.tivo.com/shop/outlet

9. Buster52

Buster52 New Member

Jun 20, 2009
    Thank you all for the help with dropping my land line. It has been costing me $65,00 a month to keep my Tivo updated. My land line gets mostly spam call. Now I have it hooked up to my internet. I have people talking about witch model I have. I cannot find what model I have other then series 3. I am using 11.0k.01-652 software. where do I find the model number? I would like to add memory to my Tivo, but with the new ownership will I loose my life membership. Why upgrade something that may not be good anymore. I would have to say I own a TCD652160.

Last edited: Apr 29, 2016
  10. unitron

Apr 28, 2006
    semi-coastal NC
    On the back of the TiVo where the power cord plugs in there's a sticker, and on that sticker is both the model number, which starts with TCD, as well as that unit's unique individual TiVo Service Number (which is sometimes on a sticker on the original cardboard box but labeled the Serial Number--which it sort of is, but they may have a separate serial number on the TiVo chassis as well).

However you seem to have found the System Info screen in the menus.

On the top part of that screen will be the TiVo Service Number, which in your case should start with 652, and the current version of the software, which in your case seems to end with 652, which means you have a TCD652160, also known as the HD.

If it ended in 658, I'd say you had a TCD658000 (which would mean a TSN starting with 658), also known as the HD XL, which looks just like your unit on the outside, but came with a bigger hard drive, a fancier remote control, and something called THX Certification, which is something others can no doubt explain much better than I.

If it ended in 648, it would mean you had an original Series 3, the TCD648250B (with a TSN starting with 648).

That was the one with the clock on the front.

Product Lifetime Service, which is the lifetime subscription, is tied to the TiVo Service Number, which is contained on an integrated circuit chip somewhere on the motherboard.

When the TiVo contacts the TiVo servers for program guide info and stuff, it sends the TSN for that particular unit and the TiVo servers check that against their database and that's how they know the subscription status of that unit.

If you sell that unit, the lifetime sub and the TSN stay with the unit (and the new owner).

If you replace the internal hard drive, but copy the old drive to the new one, then the place on the drive where it keeps a record of the TSN will have the correct one, 'cause it's a copy.

If you replace the drive (or overwrite the old one) using an image for the correct model (in your case the 652) taken from a different unit of the same model, then the TSN on the drive won't be the TSN on the motherboard and it'll complain about that when you boot up and want to do some stuff, like erase any settings and recordings on the drive and send you back to the beginning of Guided Setup, to "marry" the drive to the motherboard.

It might say something about "Error 51" when it detects the mismatch.

But it's designed to do that and deal with it and get on with life, so eventually (30 minutes to 3 hours, roughly) it should straighten itself out, and at that point it can contact the TiVo servers and they'll recognize it as a unit with Product Lifetime Service and as being on your account.

11. SNJpage1

SNJpage1 Well-Known Member TCF Club

May 25, 2006
    Atlantic...
    I take it you have a cell phone and a plan. They make a device that you put in your house that is a cell phone. However, it has jacks so that you can plug regular land line phones into it. See what it would cost to add one to your plan if you don't want to go the wifi route.