how to do a wireless Premiere cable connection

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by BillboyM, Sep 17, 2019.

1. BillboyM

BillboyM New Member

Sep 17, 2019

Advertisements

I have a Tivo Premiere that has been connected to an over-the-air antenna. Due to inadequate signal I now wish to connect it to Comcast along with a major upgrade in internet speeds. Would like to avoid the need for a cable box, can this be done wirelessly if I connect using a CableCard? One of the steps in installing a Cablecard is to “connect the coaxial cable from the wall directly into the CABLE IN jack on the Premiere”. Am confused on this, that sounds like a wired connection. Also what coaxial cable are they talking about, is this the cable that is plugged into my modem (which is in turn connected to a wireless router). Perhaps I need to split the Comcast signal, with one line running to the modem and the other to Premiere? Any help here would be appreciated!

2. krkaufman

krkaufman TDL shepherd

Nov 25, 2003
    Correct. If you want the Premiere to tune Comcast TV content, then the Comcast signal needs to find its way to your Premiere's "cable" coax port. (Are we talking a 2- or 4-tuner Premiere?) At a minimum, the Premiere will require a coax cable connection to your Comcast signal.

How is your Premiere currently networked?

3. BillboyM

BillboyM New Member

Sep 17, 2019
    I have a 2-tuner Premiere. The antenna is plugged into the "Antenna In" on the back of my Premiere. So I need BOTH a CABLE IN and Cablecard? And I get a CABLE IN input from a splitter that goes between the Comcast cable coming into the house and my modem, correct? I guess that's simple enough. Thanks

4. BillboyM

BillboyM New Member

Sep 17, 2019

5. BillboyM

BillboyM New Member

Sep 17, 2019

Advertisements

I also have an Ethernet cable plugged into the back of the Premiere.

6. krkaufman

krkaufman TDL shepherd

Nov 25, 2003
    Correct.

And nice thing about the 2-tuner Premiere is that you can keep the antenna connected and have 2 simultaneous sources -- the last TiVo that could do that.

And that'll stay the same.

7. BillboyM

BillboyM New Member

Sep 17, 2019
    Excellent! Thanks for your help!