How to create a wishlist for "categories"

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by OhioMurb, Sep 21, 2011.

1. OhioMurb

OhioMurb New Member

Aug 11, 2004
    I want to create a wishlist for the collection "superhero movies", but not sure how to do that. The Collection seems pretty accurate, but I'm not sure what criteria they use to find superhero flicks! Any suggestions?

2. astrohip

astrohip Well-Known Raconteur TCF Club

Jan 6, 2003
    Houston/Bren...
    You can create a category WL for any category TiVo recognizes. They are lots of them, although I don't recall a superhero cat. If not, then it's not possible. If there is, set it and go enjoy!

3. OhioMurb

OhioMurb New Member

Aug 11, 2004
    Yeah...nothing in the categories - I'd love to duplicate the category from "Find TV, movies, & videos: Browse TV & movies: collections"

4. lpwcomp

lpwcomp Well-Known Member

May 6, 2002
    John's...
    How about creating a keyword "Superhero", category "Movies" wishlist?

5. OhioMurb

OhioMurb New Member

Aug 11, 2004
    Hmmm. Unless the word "superhero" appeared in the write-up, it wouldn't pull in everything....there's got to be a way to do this!

6. WhiskeyTango

WhiskeyTango New Member

Sep 20, 2006
    New Jersey
    Maybe check some of the descriptions for some superhero movies and see if you can narrow down the categories (action adventure, etc.) within the 'movies' category and then add a keyword like "*man" that should catch Batman, Iron Man, Superman, Spider Man, etc. Or you could just have a bunch of different keywords of all of the superheroes you want to catch.

7. astrohip

astrohip Well-Known Raconteur TCF Club

Jan 6, 2003
    Houston/Bren...
    While it's just a kludge, it's a pretty good idea. I have a few WL for broad searches, where I have several (as in 6-8 or more) keywords listed. Again, it ain't pretty, but it works.

good idea WT:up:

8. RojCowles

RojCowles New Member

Sep 2, 2003
    Marblehead, MA
    Agreed!

We have a few such wishilist but the kludgiest one by far is our "Movies to Avoid" which have actors in them that my wife (mainly) dislikes, namely

Category: Movies
    Actors: (Van Damne, Jean-Claude).(Stallone, Sylvester).(Doherty, Shannon).( ... ).(Lundgren, Dolph)

i.,e. movies starring JCVD OR Stallone OR Doherty OR <several others>

Every so often we check the upcoming showings of movies flagged by this WL and if they're set to record we can cancel them.

Would be even better if we could do "Movies.Action Adventues NOT starring <the above list of actors>" but I believe that the NOT ( - operator) implies OR for any other actors so the expression would look like Moves starring NOT JCVD OR NOT Stallone OR NOT Doherty OR NOT ... which would only exclude movies that starred every one of these actors/actresses I think, assuming I got my booleans the right way round. Hmmm, might just flag "The Expendables" but not much else :)

--
    Roj

9. OhioMurb

OhioMurb New Member

Aug 11, 2004
    Harumph. There's obviously some criteria that Tivo is using to determine whether or not it's a "superhero" movie, but it's not something I can access.

Not to hijack my own thread, but I'm a homebrewer, and have a "beer" WL that has...20? 30? "not"s! It works and I'm obsessive when I catch something that I don't want!