How to copy shows from a failed (no bootable) drive

Discussion in 'TiVo Underground' started by rbenotti, Apr 11, 2008.

1. rbenotti

rbenotti Member

Oct 22, 2003

Advertisements

I have a Series 2 that has hung hard twice in the last few weeks. Rebooting the unit last time worked. This time, it hangs at the just a few more moments screen.

I'm only looking to get what is on the drive off, and ideally onto another functioning drive. Is it even possible? I'm thinking that dd'ing the drive won't o me any good, as the system won't fully boot.

Any thoughts on initiating rescue mode (or whatever it is called) when the TiVo boots up? I used to have the instructions, but they seem long gone.

2. flatcurve

flatcurve New Member

Sep 27, 2007
    Chicago
    If the drive is truly dead (have you run diagnostics on it yet?) then dd'ing it wouldn't do any good, as any bad data on the drive would just be copied over. You could always try it and see, but it's definitely a long shot.

3. rbenotti

rbenotti Member

Oct 22, 2003
    I haven't taken it out and run diagnostics yet. That is tonight's project.

Are you saying that if manufacturer's diags turn up ok, the drive may be salvaged? I thought if it won't boot, making any backup isn't a good idea?

Now to find a newer image if that fails.

4. jhatfield

jhatfield bunghole

Dec 2, 2003
    One word: SpinRite. www.grc.com I've used it successfully at least 6 times on tivo drives that won't boot. And by successfully, I mean everything recovered and drive put back in service in the tivo without putting a new image on it. You probably have a few corrupted sectors on the drive which has finally caused a boot problem. SpinRite can fix that. It's totally worth it. I don't even bother with other tools any more. I've never been able to fix anything on a tivo with the manufacturers disk. SpinRite is the first tool I pick up, and usually the only thing I need.

5. wscannell

wscannell Member

Dec 6, 2003

Advertisements

If the drive is a Seagate or Maxtor, the Seatools diagnostics sometimes are successful at fixing a problem with a bad sector or two.

6. rbenotti

rbenotti Member

Oct 22, 2003
    I think I have SpinRite on a utility disk at work. Going to give that a try.

Thanks!

7. ciper

ciper Active Member

Nov 4, 2004
    What show is so important that you have to go through so much trouble? If its something recent I bet you can find an extremely high quality copy on any of the common public torrent trackers.

8. rbenotti

rbenotti Member

Oct 22, 2003
    Very true I guess. There is a good deal on there though.