How to convert to mp4?

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by ulav8r, Aug 14, 2019.

1. ulav8r

ulav8r New Member

Aug 14, 2019
    Installed pyTivo based on recommendations on this forum. Someone said pyTivo would convert tivo files as they were downloaded to the computer.

When I opened pyTivo, it connected to my Tivo and showed the list of all my recordings. In the last column was the icon to download. Clicking on that transferred that file to my pc in .tivo format. There was no menu or help links to tell me how to transfer/convert to .mp4. Searches for user manual/guide found nothing of any use. I have Version: 1.6.16, settings was no help either.

Using windows 10, Tivo furnished by Suddenlink about 5 years ago.

Help.

2. Dan203

Dan203 Super Moderator Staff Member TCF Club

Apr 17, 2000
    Nevada
    The only way to convert automatically is to use VideoReDo. There is an option on the Download tab to use VideoReDo for postprocessing. On that tab you can tell it to save to a profile when done, where you can select the MP4 profile.

The other option is to simply check the decrypt option on the TiVoToGo tab. This will produce standard .mpg or .ts files that a 3rd party app like Handbrake can open and convert.

3. justen_m

justen_m Cheesehead

Jan 14, 2004
    Boise, ID
    kmttg does it too. That's what I use. It can convert .tivo to .mpg as fast as you can transfer the program. It's an easy op that doesn't require transcoding.

You can also check a box to convert the mpg to mp4 automatically, but that's slow.

I don't know why you'd want to convert mpg to mp4. I think there used to be devices that could play mp4 but not mpg-2.

4. ulav8r

ulav8r New Member

Aug 14, 2019
    Not sure I need mp4. What I want to accomplish is to transfer downloaded movies to DVD. I may check kmttg but I think that I saw it requires java, something I know nothing about.

5. ulav8r

ulav8r New Member

Aug 14, 2019
    Installed java and kmttg, absolute waste of time. I am not a programmer, need need a gui, easy to run program.

foghorn2 likes this.
  6. Dan203

Apr 17, 2000
    Nevada
    If all you want to do is convert to DVD don't bother with MP4. Just check the decrypt option in pyTivo. That'll create files that'll import into any DVD making program.

7. foghorn2

foghorn2 Well-Known Member

May 4, 2004
    Las Vegas
    I was programmer and even I gave up on kmttg and Java is fat unsecure garbage, pyTivo on the other hand is excellent.

Last edited: Aug 14, 2019
  8. justen_m

justen_m Cheesehead

Jan 14, 2004
    Boise, ID
    FWIW, I have kmttg and pyTivo (Java and Python, respectively) installed and running on two Windows 10 boxes and five Linux Ubuntu 18.04.2LTS boxes.

Linux Oracle Java installation for kmttg is 4 freakin' lines in the shell. kmttg itself is completely GUI driven. Assuming you're on a Debian system, like Ubuntu, Mint, etc. Not sure about installation on Redhat, but I think you can just grab an RPM file.

[edit] Whoa, I was wrong. It isn't anymore. It all has to be down manually because the ppa that had some helper functions is gone now. Probably a dozen lines of code now. See this post I made in Can't open kmttg.jar

Last edited: Aug 15, 2019
    kpeters59 likes this.
  9. justen_m

justen_m Cheesehead

Jan 14, 2004
    Boise, ID
    kmttg itself is completely GUI driven. Java installation will vary depending on Windows, Mac, or Linux distribution..

10. mattack

mattack Well-Known Member

Apr 9, 2001
    sunnyvale
    Huh? kmttg *IS* a GUI ___somewhat__ easy to use program.

I admit it was a pain at first, since it's Java and thus has a lowest common denominator UI.

11. fyodor

fyodor Active Member

Sep 19, 2006
    Is your VCR broken?

kpeters59 likes this.
  12. ulav8r

ulav8r New Member

Aug 14, 2019
    What is a vcr? Kidding, but don't have the time or equipment to record a dvd from the tivo without commercials. When I downloaded kmttg and unzipped it, I had a folder containing several folders and files, about 340 of them, with no executable to be found and no clue as to how to start it. Now uninstalled.

Tried pyTivo had issues with it, now uninstalled. Downloaded prism, started conversion of one movie about 3 hours ago, it say there are 19 hrs, 59 minutes to go before complete. It will be uninstalled soon.

13. Dan203

Apr 17, 2000
    Nevada
    Simple solution.... buy VideoReDo. It can open .tivo files directly, edit out the commercials and save them to a DVD. No extra steps, no conversions.

14. ej42137

ej42137 Well-Known Member

Feb 15, 2014
    Los Angeles
    I'm sure you no longer care, but just for completeness, the executables to start kmttg are in the install root, "kmttg" for Linux and "kmttg.bat" in Windows. Someone that doesn't consider scripts to be executables would say "kmttg.jar" contains the executable.

VideoReDo is a very good solution for this and many other video tasks. It is very well worth it's small price.

15. KevTech

KevTech Active Member

Apr 15, 2014
    What issues did you have?

I have issues if I select transport steam but not if I select program stream so now I have it set to let me select per recording.

Also, like Dan203 said if you select decrypt on the TivoToGo tab in setting of pytivo desktop you will end up with a mpg file instead of a tivo file.

Annotation 2019-08-14 221241.jpg

16. ulav8r

ulav8r New Member

Aug 14, 2019
    May try pyTivo again in a few days, I will be on a hot spot with limited bandwidth for a few days. Will check back after that. Thanks to all for the help.

17. foghorn2

foghorn2 Well-Known Member

May 4, 2004
    Las Vegas
    Which version do you recommend?

18. Dan203

Apr 17, 2000
    Nevada
    TVSuite. Plus is old. Only supports MPEG-2 and doesn’t do DVD.

19. ulav8r

ulav8r New Member

Aug 14, 2019
    Downloaded pyTivo again, pvTivo desktop, version 1.6.16. Is there another pyTivo? Went thru settings, set them as detailed in post 15, started one download. It is not completed yet but it appears it is going to be in .tivo format.

20. Dan203

Apr 17, 2000
    Nevada
    If you decrypt it'll be either .ts or .mpg.