1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How to control a mini with a Universal remote MX-980

Discussion in 'TiVo Mini' started by Kabookie, Aug 11, 2017.

1. Kabookie

Kabookie New Member

Aug 18, 2016
    I'm switching from a Charter Motorola box to the new mini and having trouble controlling it. Because of other things attached I have the mini downstairs and the sound going through a receiver. I have the universal box that converts RF to IR also downstairs - all worked fine the sound and TV control with the charter box. I switched to the mini and the installer could not get the MX-980 to communicate with the mini. I saw the codes and there was not a mini to select but like 15 others including the bolt. None of these seemed to work. What was he doing wrong?

In the mean time I have the TV and Sound through the TV all using the Tivo remote but of course I can't control my receiver with the Tivo remote that is why I need to get my MX-980 to control the Tivo mini.

2. HerronScott

HerronScott Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2002
    Staunton, VA
    The Mini uses the same codes as any TiVo so you should be able to select Bolt or Roamio as long as the MX-980 is using address 0 which is the universal address. Why can't you control your receiver with the TiVo remote (we control our Onkyo - volume, inputs)?

3. Kabookie

Kabookie New Member

Aug 18, 2016
    That is what I figured that the mini will use the same codes as bolt etc. my receiver is a Pioneer. Like I said it all worked well with the charter box the dealer was to just load the bolt codes and it should of worked but it did not. I don't know for sure but the remote was probably at code 0 before when it worked would it not stay like that code as he loaded the bolt codes?
    Also I have the repeater between the words Tivo mini on the front of the mini which is supposed to be where the IR receiver is at.
    Also when the remote fires I can see a little red lighter blink on the repeater so I know it's working. All other functions that this remote does still works fine it's just Tivo.

4. Kabookie

Kabookie New Member

Aug 18, 2016
    Also did you have to change anything on the mini for the universal remote to work??

5. sfhub

sfhub Well-Known Member

Jan 6, 2007
    Use the Mini's remote to go to Account & System Information->System Information

Press channel down until you see Remote Address

See if it says 0 or some other number. If it is zero, it should respond to standard TiVo remote programming. If not, it has been set for some unit ID, perhaps because it was exposed to a non-zero TiVo IR signal in the past while on the System Information screen.

It could also be something is broken with the IR receiver, but more often we hear about problems with the RF receiver.

You can change the remote address back to 0 if it is non-zero currently. There is a simple procedure on TiVo's website

https://support.tivo.com/articles/Features_Use/Controlling-2-TiVo-DVRs-with-Separate-Remotes

6. Kabookie

Kabookie New Member

Aug 18, 2016
    Ok so it says the remote address is 0. So that is not the problem. It must be something else

7. sfhub

sfhub Well-Known Member

Jan 6, 2007
    Can the remote that came with the TiVo control the Mini in IR mode? Perhaps there is something wrong with the IR receiver on the Mini?

You can put the TiVo RF remote in IR mode by press/holding TiVo+(Red C) until the light at the top blinks red. As long as it is red, it is sending IR. If it is yellow it is sending RF.

8. Kabookie

Kabookie New Member

Aug 18, 2016
    Yes it works fine. I even tried my Harmony 890 that is only IR that I use with the Bolt +. Like I said the mini ls downstairs so with the harmony I typed in channel 602 and it switched mini from the channel it was on to channel 602. I could also see the little white site on the mini change color as I selected each digit.

I just want to make sure the IR sensor on the mini is between the O on tivo and the M of mini right? That is what I have been told. This is really frustrating. Everything seems to be right but it does not work.

9. mdavej

mdavej Well-Known Member

Aug 13, 2015
    Next thing I would do is the digital camera IR test. Look at the output of your hub or remote when you send a Tivo command. Should flash blue when you look at it with a digital camera. That will tell you if the remote or hub is sending anything at all. If not, probably just a matter of assigning output to the RF base (not familiar with the nuts and bolts of URC).

If all else fails, learn all the commands from a Tivo remote in IR mode. But there is no reason I can think of that the built in codes would not work if the address has not changed from the default.

FWIW, some of my Minis are mounted to the back of my TVs and still pick up IR shot from the front. So they are very sensitive and should pick up any IR bouncing around the room. No need to aim for the "O".

10. Kabookie

Kabookie New Member

Aug 18, 2016
    Not sure I get your first paragraph? Digital camera like a iPhone? Where do I look for the output on the hub? The sensor does flash red a bit that I have seen. Thanks for your help I think I just need to get another person more familiar with this remote here its probably something simple but since I can't program it like the Harmony I can't help myself.