1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

how to connect my tivo Roamio OTA to a Tivo mini with router in one room mini in another?

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by Chip719, Mar 3, 2017.

1. Mar 3, 2017 #1 of 58
    Chip719

Chip719 New Member

Mar 3, 2017
    I have a Tivo Roamio 4 tuner DVR in my Living room and want to add a Mini in the bedroom, my router is in my bedroom and moca is not an option. I have cable internet through Spectrum. How can I get this setup?

2. Mar 3, 2017 #2 of 58
    lpwcomp

lpwcomp Well-Known Member

May 6, 2002
    John's...
    How is the TiVo connected to your network?

JoeKustra likes this.
  3. Mar 3, 2017 #3 of 58
    schatham

schatham Active Member

Mar 17, 2007
    The Tivo and mini both need to connect to your router via Ethernet. You can buy 25' or 50' Ethernet cables on Ebay. This is my set-up. I just ordered another mini for my office and will run another 25' Ethernet cable.

4. Mar 3, 2017 #4 of 58
    Mikeguy

Mikeguy Well-Known Member

Jul 28, 2005
    It might be helpful if you explain why you think you can't do MoCA.

5. Mar 3, 2017 #5 of 58
    Chip719

Chip719 New Member

Mar 3, 2017
    Right now it is wireless, but I plan on moving the router to the living room to hard wire it.

6. Mar 3, 2017 #6 of 58
    Chip719

Chip719 New Member

Mar 3, 2017
    I figured moca was out because my antenna it connected straight to my tivo and not throughout the apartment

7. Mar 3, 2017 #7 of 58
    lpwcomp

May 6, 2002
    John's...
    If you're moving the router, presumably there is a cable drop in the living room, so you could connect the Mini via moca. The Roamio would be connected via wired ethernet.

8. Mar 3, 2017 #8 of 58
    Chip719

Chip719 New Member

Mar 3, 2017
    How do I do that and still have my wifi as well for my computers?

9. Mar 3, 2017 #9 of 58
    Chip719

Chip719 New Member

Mar 3, 2017
    do I use a Splitter?

10. lpwcomp

May 6, 2002
    John's...
    Why do you think that you need to do anything?

That would depend on whether or not your cable modem/router has built-in MoCA.

11. krkaufman

krkaufman TDL shepherd

Nov 25, 2003
    Are you using an in-room antenna, then? And is there a separate coax outlet available in the Living Room that connects back to your Spectrum cable connection? If so, MoCA is very much doable for you... but will cost a bit more (the cost of a second MoCA adapter) to keep the router in the bedroom.

The main factors to be aware of:
    • The OTA antenna and cable TV/Internet signals must not be fed to the same coax lines.

• A MoCA adapter will be required at the modem/router location to create a MoCA network, regardless of where the modem & router are located. The MoCA network will be needed either by the Roamio OTA or Mini, whichever device is NOT in the same room as the router. (Some cable gateways [i.e. combo cable modem/router devices] include built-in MoCA bridging functionality; I'm assuming you lack this capability. Post your modem/router model information if you want to confirm one way of the other.)

• The TiVo whole home solution requires the devices to be wired via Ethernet or MoCA, including a mix of both, if more convenient.

• The Roamio OTA has no built-in MoCA functionality, and so, if the Roamio cannot be wired using Ethernet, the Roamio OTA would require a MoCA adapter to provide it with a wired network connection over a MoCA network.

• The TiVo Mini, on the other hand, does include the ability to connect as either an Ethernet *or* MoCA client.
    In your case, as things stand now with the Roamio OTA in the Living Room and router in the bedroom, assuming an isolated in-room antenna and an available coax outlet in the Living Room connecting back to your Spectrum lines, you should be able to install a MoCA adapter at your router to create your MoCA network (adapter connected to both coax and router's Ethernet LAN), and then connect another MoCA adapter in the Living Room (connected to the Spectrum coax lines and to the Roamio OTA's Ethernet port) to get the Roamio OTA wired to your network. The Mini can be connected via Ethernet or MoCA, whichever is more convenient.

If you move the router, the Roamio OTA could be connected via Ethernet to the router, and you'd only need a single MoCA adapter total, installed at the router to create your MoCA network. The Mini in the bedroom could connect using its built-in MoCA functionality.

Whichever way you go, you'll also want to get a "PoE" MoCA filter installed. More info >here<.

edit: p.s. MoCA-related parts list, >here<.

Last edited: Mar 3, 2017
    luvnvapen likes this.
  12. krkaufman

krkaufman TDL shepherd

Nov 25, 2003
    Also, note that if you have other devices in the Living Room that would also benefit from a wired Ethernet connection, you could connect the Living Room MoCA adapter to a network switch, rather than directly to the Roamio OTA, and then connect the Roamio OTA and the other Ethernet-capable devices to the network switch.

The same could be true if you moved the router to the Living Room; however, with the router and main bridging MoCA adapter in the Living Room and just the MoCA-capable Mini in the bedroom, if you had other Ethernet devices in the bedroom you wanted to wire, then you would again need a second MoCA adapter to provide the remote network connectivity over MoCA for non-MoCA devices.

13. Chip719

Chip719 New Member

Mar 3, 2017
    I have a out door antenna

14. Chip719

Chip719 New Member

Mar 3, 2017
    can I use a TP-Link AV Nano Powerline adapter in the bedroom and on in the living room and get them to link up via ethernet.

15. krkaufman

krkaufman TDL shepherd

Nov 25, 2003
    More important was the second question...
    I'm trying to determine if you have separate coax runs/outlets available in the Living Room, one for your OTA antenna and a separate outlet, perhaps currently unused, that connects back to your Spectrum-connected outlets.

16. lpwcomp

May 6, 2002
    John's...
    If the cable modem has built-in MoCA and he moves it to the living room, he wouldn't need a separate MoCA adapter at all.

17. krkaufman

krkaufman TDL shepherd

Nov 25, 2003
    @Chip719, the following reflects the same question I'm trying to resolve...
    *IF* you were to move the cable modem/router to the Living Room, how would you be able to connect it to the incoming Spectrum line *and* maintain the OTA antenna connection for your Roamio OTA?

If there's an available coax outlet in the Living Room that can be connected to your Spectrum-connected coax lines, then you should be able to do MoCA, per my previous post, above.

18. krkaufman

krkaufman TDL shepherd

Nov 25, 2003
    Sure, as previously stated...
    ... and until the OP posts their modem/router model number(s) the "bridging MoCA adapter" is at least a placeholder emphasizing the functionality required at the modem/router location.

19. Mikeguy

Mikeguy Well-Known Member

Jul 28, 2005
    Yes, you can try. TiVo doesn't "support" a Powerline network (i.e. it doesn't say that it is an option or will work), but people have done it. Success is idiosyncratic, depending on one's wiring, equipment, etc. It works for some, it doesn't work for others, and for others it starts out fine but then doesn't. There are many posts here about it, that you could read up on.

Do you already have the Powerline adapters? If so, you can try it out. If you would need to buy the equipment and it only would be for your TiVo network, I would recommend that you purchase from a source that you could return it to, if need be.

Is there a reason why you might prefer not to go MoCA, which is the TiVo recommendation, along with straight Ethernet?

If going Powerline and purchasing equipment now, I might recommend that you do a gigabit adapter system (the adapter you mentioned is a 500 Mbps--although, of course, all the adapters actually have a real-world rate of much lower than the specification)--give your network every chance at succeeding, with the extra data capacity.

20. Chip719

Chip719 New Member

Mar 3, 2017
    I am on a fixed income and have stretched the budget on the tivo and mini. If I do the moca will the two adapters be all i'll need to finish the project and have tv in my bedroom?