How to configure MI424-WR as wireless media bridge ?

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by krkaufman, Apr 17, 2017.

1. krkaufman

krkaufman TDL shepherd

Nov 25, 2003

Advertisements

Does anyone out there have any tips on how to configure a Verizon/Actiontec MI424-WR Rev.I router as a wireless media bridge? (i.e. disable all router functionality, and just use the MI424 as a wireless client, bridging the wireless connection with the router to any devices connected to its built-in Ethernet switch... and any MoCA-connected clients, as well)

I already have the device reconfigured as strictly a MoCA adapter, with all router/broadband/wireless functionality disabled, but I'd like to re-enable the wireless component as a client of the main router to bridge the isolated wired devices back to the router.

Thanks in advance.

Karl

upload_2017-4-16_23-19-47.png

2. lew

lew Well-Known Member

Mar 12, 2002
  3. fcfc2

fcfc2 Well-Known Member

Feb 19, 2015
    The directions you followed to configure it as a MoCA bridge include disabling the wireless. You should be able to reconfigure it but simply do not disable the wireless. Reset the router via the little "reset" hole if you can't get back into the configure router and start again, skipping the wireless section, except maybe to select a specific channel to broadcast on and the security settings. This is a 2.4GHz band only and a weak "n", but if you have dead zone it is far better than nothing.
    If you can remember the IP you assigned to the Rev I, and are having trouble trying to get back in, do the reset. You might be able to re-assign the IP of the PC you are using to access it to something on the same subnet and make a direct Ethernet to Lan connection, but it's been a long time since I mess with these things.

4. krkaufman

krkaufman TDL shepherd

Nov 25, 2003
    Is there something specific you're aware of?

I've checked DSLReports and didn't find anything on the subject (though that's not a good sign on its own). Most posts relate to eliminating the MI424 as the primary router owing to a limited NAT table.

5. krkaufman

krkaufman TDL shepherd

Nov 25, 2003

Advertisements

Yeah, but that's the process used for setting it up as an access point, to which other wireless clients could connect. I'm looking for the MI424 to act as a wireless client, bridging its wireless connection with the main router to devices connected to the MI424's built-in Ethernet switch.

6. fcfc2

fcfc2 Well-Known Member

Feb 19, 2015
    Ok, I misunderstood, but the bad news is that none of the Fios routers "support" wireless to wireless bridging of any kind.

7. krkaufman

krkaufman TDL shepherd

Nov 25, 2003
    Thanks for the feedback, thus far. Will keep digging, though I'm leaning toward this not being a function supported by the MI424's firmware.

(Past projects have used DD-WRT when the stock firmware was lacking, but I fear MoCA bridging would be lost down that path.)

8. krkaufman

krkaufman TDL shepherd

Nov 25, 2003
    Ah, ok; that's what I feared. Thanks very much for that info.

9. BobCamp1

BobCamp1 Well-Known Member

May 15, 2002
    You would lose MoCA for sure.

You need a wired method of connecting the two routers together.

10. krkaufman

krkaufman TDL shepherd

Nov 25, 2003
    At least one confirmation on that front, here. Thanks.
    Plus the MI424-WR DD-WRT page, here.

Thus endeth the quest. Thanks, all.