How to check your remote easy

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by timhbtr53, May 16, 2015.

Tags:
  1. timhbtr53

timhbtr53 Grumpy Old Man

Apr 24, 2014
    In the Deep...

Advertisements

Have you ever had those times when you grab the remote and hit the TiVo button and nothing happens and you wonder is it my remote or what?
    Here is a fast way to see if your I/R remote is Transmitting. Grab your cell phone and put it in camera mode point the remote at the camera lens press any of the buttons on the remote you should see two I/R LEDS lighting under the front cover. If not of course check the batteries, replace if needed.

Just a FYI for a fast and easy way to check a I/R remote only not a slider.

Thanks for you time.
    Tim

2. waynomo

waynomo My One Time

Nov 9, 2002
    Seven...
    I tried that tonight in a dark room. It is kind of neat.

3. wmcbrine

wmcbrine Well-Known Mumbler

Aug 2, 2003
    Works with standalone digital cameras, too, for those who remember what those are. ;)

4. mrizzo80

mrizzo80 Well-Known Member

Apr 16, 2012
    Neat trick.

Wouldn't it be much easier to just look at the TiVo though? Even if you have the front lights on the TiVo turned off via Settings, the TiVo will flash a light whenever it receives a command from the remote (IR, RF, TiVo-based command, TV-based command, receiver-based command, etc).

5. timhbtr53

timhbtr53 Grumpy Old Man

Apr 24, 2014
    In the Deep...

Advertisements

This is just to check if your remote is not a problem in the chain of trouble shooting. I use to use my Surveillance cameras then I tried it on my cell and it saves some time. Just a tidbit

6. timhbtr53

timhbtr53 Grumpy Old Man

Apr 24, 2014
    In the Deep...

Yes I did forget about digital cameras, thanks for the reminder, "Brain Fade"

7. waynomo

waynomo My One Time

Nov 9, 2002
    Seven...
    Does anybody know why this works?

The remote is putting out an infrared light beam. Obviously the cell CCD (If that's what they are still using) captures infrared. But the world is filled with lots of infrared that we don't see. Why doesn't the camera pick up that? Is it just that the remote beam is very intense/bright/focused?

Also it is translating infrared to visible at least as the cell display goes. What's up with that?

8. timhbtr53

timhbtr53 Grumpy Old Man

Apr 24, 2014
    In the Deep...
  9. scandia101

scandia101 Just the facts ma'am

Oct 20, 2007
    MN, greater...
    I thought this was 10yr old common knowledge but apparently not.

10. waynomo

waynomo My One Time

Nov 9, 2002
    Seven...
    See the currently ongoing spoiler thread for further discussion about what is common knowledge. :D

11. timhbtr53

timhbtr53 Grumpy Old Man

Apr 24, 2014
    In the Deep...
    It may be 100 years old but I posted it as a help post not to inform the world a big new thing. Sorry if it was an old subject to you but someone might not know.......

12. HerronScott

HerronScott Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2002
    Staunton, VA
    Tim,

Thanks! I wasn't aware of this so I appreciate the post. You never know when it might come in handy.

Scott

13. scandia101

scandia101 Just the facts ma'am

Oct 20, 2007
    MN, greater...
    No thank you

14. CCourtney

CCourtney Member

Mar 28, 2006
    El Dorado...
    While using TiVoHD boxes, I just looked to see if the yellow light would illuminated, which it does for the TiVo it's set to. Even the Roamio flashes the yellow Remote Icon indicator (tested w/ an RF only remote) when it gets a valid TiVo code, this also works with the LEDs disabled (which I have it set to.)

That said, I've got a couple other devices that have a small LED that flash when any IR gets picked up.

You may want to look to see if your TV or other equipment flash a small LED when it gets an IR signal as this would be much easier than getting a digital camera/smartphone to see if a signal is being produced.

Last edited: May 19, 2015