How to check firmware? Supposedly out of date according to Spectrum [probably a lie]

Discussion in 'TiVo Roamio DVRs' started by CopRock, Jul 14, 2018.

1. CopRock

CopRock Member

Jul 13, 2014
    Background: Tivo Roamio since 9/2013 on TWC now Spectrum [NYC] connected to STA1520 tuning adapter with Cisco Power Key PKM803 cable card -- both new after several replacements due to this:

Been having issues with missing channels and channels in SD instead of HD ever since the start of February [when the transfer of TWC to Spectrum was finalzed], in fact its been an utter sh*t show. I've been having issues similar to this thread:

Problems with Cisco STA1520, possibly, 6 flashing lights

Mine was of the eight flashing variety, where it couldn't connect to Spectrum & after picking up a T/A at one of the stores and having a tech deliver one as well with the same issue I found out from a tech that if the T/A hasn't been used in 30 days or more it gets bricked. Wonderful. After this I was too busy traveling for work and life in general to spend hours on the phone with Cable Support/SPectrum visits so Tivo went to the bedroom's 32 inch TV and the cable box to the living room 42" [where I saw the picture quality was way better on the cable box than the Roamio, but thats another thread entirely]
    Fast forward to the last two weeks plus where I've had time to deal with this, and after several tech visits [a couple who really knew their stuff] and getting T/A that had a steady green light and did connect the issues got worse: loss of all premuims [hbo.sho.starz] where as I got some with just the cable card. Some formerly SD channels did come back HD but they are replicated in higher numbers in HD without a T/A anyway & some channels didn't come back with or without a T/A. And all the wiring from the roof and all splitters has been replaced.
    No matter how many CC or T/A we went through the results were the same after pairing. Yesterday I got a call from the last tech [one who knew what he was doing and couldn't understand why this was happening] who was told by his supervisor that it must be my Tivo that is either defective or firmware was out of date. When I started asking him where his supervisor arrived at this I could hear him in the background what to say and to hang up, the job was closed soon after.
    I've been told in the past that if they keep sending people out for the same issue they will start charging for the visits, kinda BS if you ask me. {The Lies, The LIES, THE LIES}

Where can I find the firware and whats latest f/w number? & I'm sure it would be up to date since its connected to the internet for the guide & streaming anyway. Could the supervisor been talking about the new GUI Hydra? and thats how he came with the f/w out of date. Or is my tuber going?

I think I read here or possible AVS that since my cable package was through TWC it isn't meshing with Spectrum's system and that maybe the reason for missing and SD channels but can't find that thread anymore for the info.

Anyone been through this, how was it resolved... any help appreciated and much gratitude in advance .

2. dlfl

dlfl Cranky old novice

Jul 6, 2006
    Dayton OH
    Here is everything about software versions:
    For "Experience 3 version": TiVo Customer Support
    and
    For "Experience 4 (Hydra) version": TiVo Customer Support

The experience 3 info includes how to determine your software version (Settings & Messages > Help > Account & System Info > System Information on a Roamio)

The probability your issues are caused by software version is about 0.0001% BTW.

Last edited: Jul 15, 2018
    CopRock likes this.
  3. HerronScott

HerronScott Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2002
    Staunton, VA
    I'm guessing that you were used to their STB automatically tuning the HD channel when you selected the lower SD channel number. Retail TiVo's won't do that although if you tune the SD channel and there is an HD equivalent it should prompt you to hit D to switch the to higher HD channel number.

When you use a TA it takes over channel mapping from the CableCARD so there may be an issue with their channel map for the TA versus the CableCARD if you are losing channels with the TA versus CableCARD alone (or maybe authorization/configuration in their system but I thought that would just be on the CableCARD side).

Scott

4. CopRock

CopRock Member

Jul 13, 2014
    Yeah, I figured that the firmware/software is basic boilerplate lie and finally saw it on System Information and guessing 20.7.4.RC42-846-6-846 is up to date... And as far as Hydra I'll stay away from it until the bugs are worked out and from I've seen here it's not even worth it.

5. CopRock

CopRock Member

Jul 13, 2014
    Definitely seems to be an issue on their end with how the T/A and CC work together since all this started after the Spectrum takeover, even how the T/A is wired changed with a splitter feeding both T/A & Roamio separately ( we tried all combinations, but nada) ... I'll bring up mapping with Cable Card Support next time I call.

6. ej42137

ej42137 Well-Known Member

Feb 15, 2014
    Los Angeles
    They do if the cable company wants them to; for example here in my locale with Spectrum, the former TWC.

Last edited: Jul 18, 2018
    CopRock likes this.
  7. HerronScott

HerronScott Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2002
    Staunton, VA
    I wasn't sure if any of them had implemented that for retail TiVo's! :)

Scott

8. dlfl

dlfl Cranky old novice

Jul 6, 2006
    Dayton OH
    You didn't have to "guess" -- the Experience 3 link I posted shows that is the latest software.

9. CopRock

CopRock Member

Jul 13, 2014
    Spent about 3 hours with CC support & going to a Spectrum store for yet another T/A and no matter how many different CC or T/A I get the results with the same missing channels or SD vs. HD... {All those lower channels come in HD if I use the T\A but then I lose what little premiums I get with just the CC}

During the night I redid guided setup for all 4 TWC providers that came up, some even listed as SD, and even tried a zipcode about half mile from mine to see if a provider specifically named Spectrum would come up but no, & results were the same

I did notice one weird artifact while using the T/A: if I tune to a channel that I can't receive then tune to one I know I can receive it will not tune onto it until I flip to another tune-able channel; this doesn't happen if I just use the CC -- could this be an issue with my own tuner going sour??

I'm glad this isn't the main living room DVR anymore since I got a 6 tuner Cisco last month when I started trying to get this issue resolved

I'll try another call to CC support tmrw and hoping that I score a tech that may know if billing codes or if my TWC package [since 1989 when it was known as Manhattan Cable TV] aren't meshing with the T/A & CC now since the migration which was finalized at the end of January when all this craziness started which I think is the underlying issue here but not 100% sure