How to change remote ID on Bolt

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by FlyingDP, Jul 6, 2017.

Tags:
  1. Jul 6, 2017 #1 of 10
    FlyingDP

FlyingDP New Member

Jul 6, 2017

Advertisements

Sorry if this thread's already been covered, but I can't find information on how to change the remote address (ID) on a Bolt. (From 0 to, say, 1)

I have my new Bolt and old THD next to each other while I transfer shows, but the old remote still talks to the Bolt. (I have set THD ID to 2 so it won't react to the new remote).
    I need to set Bolt ID to 1 so it doesn't react to the old remote but can't see how to do that.

Thank you.

2. Jul 6, 2017 #2 of 10
    krkaufman

krkaufman TDL shepherd

Nov 25, 2003
    You'd first want to toggle the BOLT's remote from RF mode to IR. Once in IR mode the process is the same as before.

3. Jul 6, 2017 #3 of 10
    V7Goose

V7Goose OTA ONLY and Loving It!

May 28, 2005
    New Mexico...
    The Bolt will change its internal remote address to any IR remote signal it sees while the System Information screen is open (this is how ALL TiVo boxes change the internal remote address, not just the Bolt).

So if you have an IR remote set to address "1", and your Bolt is currently set to the default "0", all you need to do is use that IR remote on "1" to open the System Information screen and page down one time, then exit that screen. Now your Bolt will only respond to either a properly paired RF remote or an IR remote set to address "1" or "0".

Note that it is important for you to ALSO set your Bolt RF remote to IR address "1" for two reasons: First, the TiVo RF remotes are constantly dropping into IR mode for brief periods of time (an annoying BUG that TiVo cares not to fix), and this can cause you to accidentally reset the Bolt IR address to 0 without even knowing it. Secondly, when the Bolt RF remote briefly sends out the unwanted IR signals, if that remote is still set to the default "0" address, it will affect any other TiVo in the same room.

After your TiVo RF remote has had the IR address changed to something other than 0, it can still be changed back to RF mode and paired with a TiVo box without affecting the currently set IR address.

Last edited: Jul 6, 2017
  4. Jul 6, 2017 #4 of 10
    krkaufman

krkaufman TDL shepherd

Nov 25, 2003
    You can tell which mode the RF remote is in based on the color of the flashing LED at the top of the remote:

IR mode: Red
    RF mode: Amber

NOTE: IR-only remotes are IR-only, so the color of the flashing LED on those models is moot.​

To set a TiVo's RF remote to a particular mode, press and hold the following keys, simultaneously, until the LED flashes the associated color (above) to indicate the change:

IR mode: (C)+TiVo (LED will flash red)
    RF mode: (D)+TiVo (LED will flash amber)

Configuring the DVRs and remotes with custom IR remote addresses is covered in the following TiVo help page: Controlling 2 TiVo DVRs with Separate Remotes

5. Jul 6, 2017 #5 of 10
    FlyingDP

FlyingDP New Member

Jul 6, 2017

Advertisements

Thank you for that very comprehensive reply.
    My follow up question is, predictably, that I don't see where I can change the Bolt's Remote's ID - only how to change the Bolt's ID #?

6. Jul 6, 2017 #6 of 10
    FlyingDP

FlyingDP New Member

Jul 6, 2017
    Thanks! Will check out the link.

7. Jul 6, 2017 #7 of 10
    krkaufman

krkaufman TDL shepherd

Nov 25, 2003
    The instructions merge the two steps: the remote's IR address # is set using {TiVo+Pause...1-9}, and then the DVR's IR remote address is subsequently set using the RightArrow (in IR mode) within the System Information screen.

8. Jul 6, 2017 #8 of 10
  9. Jul 7, 2017 #9 of 10
    V7Goose

V7Goose OTA ONLY and Loving It!

May 28, 2005
    New Mexico...
    Sorry I left that out - you change the remote address the exact same way in any TiVo remote, so since you said you had already changed the address for the old HD box, I just assumed you knew how to change the address in the remote too.

10. FlyingDP

FlyingDP New Member

Jul 6, 2017
    Thanks to everyone. Problem solved from all your advice.