How to change Codec in WMP10?

Discussion in 'TiVo Home Media Features & TiVoToGo' started by buddhawood, Mar 24, 2006.

1. buddhawood

buddhawood Member

Oct 9, 2000
    Anderson,...

Advertisements

I got a Zen Portable Media Player from the rewards program but I am having problems getting Windows Media Player to sync .tivo files. It can get one or two programs to convert and then I keep getting "one or more codecs required for conversion" error when i try to do any more. I have run the Windows XP Video decoder checkup utility and have set the default to an approved codec(Intervideo) but when I check properties it still shows it using the Ligos codec. I've checked the web and MS website and I can't find how to change the codec. All I've read says it should be automatic, but it doesn't seem to be working. BTW. I have NO problem playing back any of the files on my desktop. ANY IDEAS?

2. mddavid

mddavid New Member

Mar 14, 2006
    I think that you have to uninstall the Ligos codec. I have been having similar problems with attempted transfers to my Pocket PC. I get a "server threw an exception error."
    The problem with my suggestion is that it is not always easy to uninstall other codecs as they are not necessarily listed in your add remove programs list. They may be embedded somewhere as part of another program (such as My DVD).

3. mfrns0123

mfrns0123 New Member

Mar 25, 2005
    Chicago
  4. buddhawood

buddhawood Member

Oct 9, 2000
    Anderson,...
  5. jmemmott

jmemmott New Member

Jul 12, 2003
    Santa Cruz, CA

Advertisements

I have found that this tool is not very reliable when it comes to changing codecs for the Tivo files. The reason is that it tries to affect the decoder by altering its merit but when the playback graph is created for the tivo file, it must start from the Tivo filter, add a demuxer or splitter to separate the audio and video streams, and only then add the decoder. If there are multiple demuxers and splitters, the one with the highest merit is added and and unless DirectShow hits a dead end with the rest of the graph, it will not back up and try another one. Different demuxers/splitters have different affinities for the available decoders because they may have different secondary pins ( close captioning for example ). If the splitter that is selected has a higher affinity for the wrong decoder, it will be used even if that decoder has a lower merit or priority. The result is that changing the decoder merit may not change the decoder that is used for the tivo file.

To fix this you have to change the choice of splitters first and this program won't help with that. To accomplish this, you need a program such as “DirectShow Filter Manager” and Microsoft GraphEdit (www.videohelp.com) so you can see all the filters that are used when the tivo file is rendered and have the ability to change the relative merits on any of the filters in the graph. Short of that, you have to completely remove the offending codec (Ligos).

6. buddhawood

buddhawood Member

Oct 9, 2000
    Anderson,...
    Thanks for the help! I followed your link and I was able to download Codec Sniper and I was able to remove Ligos with two clicks and now it works GREAT!

7. Andrewp75

Andrewp75 New Member

Aug 4, 2004
    Washington DC
    Would anybody care to make step by step instrucntions on how to do this? I cant seem to get WMP to encode either, and the last time I tried to change my codecs it really messed everything up.

Thanks!

A