How To Cancel Guided Set-up?

Discussion in 'TiVo Premiere DVRs' started by Emacee, Jul 25, 2018.

1. Emacee

Emacee Member

Dec 15, 2000
    Philadelphia...

Advertisements

Help. A while back, I took advantage of a Tivo offer to transfer my "lifetime" subscription from Premiere to a new Bolt. I thought I would move the old Tivo Premiere to an upstairs guestroom where I also have an old TV (analog only). I was going to use the Premiere for receiving live (digital) TV and maybe watch some saved recordings from before. I made the mistake of running Guided Setup so I could switch the Premiere from cable to antenna. The Premiere won't complete Guided Set-up, and won't allow me to cancel or exit Guided Set-up. Is there any way to get the Premiere unstuck from Guided Set-up so I could use the box with a subscription as a digital receiver and to playback old recordings? Thanks.

2. ThAbtO

ThAbtO TiVoholic by the bay TCF Club

Apr 6, 2000
    SF Bay Area
    It most likely, the software needs to be updated to 20.7.x before it can get guide and run guided setup.

3. JoeKustra

JoeKustra in the other Alabama TCF Club

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    Two things. The start of guided setup, when asked for a country, hit Info. That shows the current software and it should be 20.7.2 or higher. Second, if the Premiere is on your account but inactive, activate it for a month. If you change your mind, cancel within 30 days and get your money back.

If TiVo has it on a "do not activate" list, you're screwed.

4. krkaufman

krkaufman TDL shepherd

Nov 25, 2003
    Why won’t it complete Guided Setup?

5. Emacee

Emacee Member

Dec 15, 2000
    Philadelphia...

Advertisements

Apparently because it's not currently activated.

6. shwru980r

shwru980r Well-Known Member

Jun 22, 2008
    A Tivo doesn't have to be activated to run guided setup. Not sure where you are in the guided setup process but you should proceed to the point where the Tivo makes the first connection. After the first connect finishes, pull the plug and reboot. If you see the "installing software update screen" then you successfully downloaded the software and can complete guided set up once the software update completes. Otherwise; you will have to repeat the procedure until the Tivo downloads the software update.

7. Emacee

Emacee Member

Dec 15, 2000
    Philadelphia...
    Thanks, I'll try it.