How to bypass incompetent, lying support & replace a defective Bolt?

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by spatula, Jun 2, 2019.

1. Jun 2, 2019 #1 of 28
    spatula

spatula Member

Mar 31, 2014
    San Mateo,...
    I am at the end of my rope with TiVo support today after someone straight-up lied to me to try to get rid of me after I asked to RMA a defective Bolt:
    upload_2019-6-2_11-53-14.png
    This statement is false. There were no changes in frequency; the stations that the Bolt suddenly stopped receiving (there are four of them, different channels, transmitting from different locations) have not been repacked, let alone all repacked on the same day at the same time.

I have an extremely low tolerance for being given a runaround, but my frustration turns to anger when someone just lies to me so they can avoid a return and close a case.

All indications are that the tuner in the Bolt has suddenly suffered a massive loss of sensitivity, such that only the most powerful stations in the area can be received anymore, and yes, I've ruled out antenna system and coax problems. It's just the Bolt. All other receivers in the house have no problems. I've done extensive troubleshooting to rule out every other possibility.

But Support insists on continuing to stonewall me when I try to get a warranty replacement for this unit. Is there some way to get a case escalated, or some way to bypass support entirely and do a warranty replacement of this thing? I haven't been able to get a straight answer from Support; they just keep evading me and refusing to cooperate.

2. Jun 2, 2019 #2 of 28
    kpeters59

kpeters59 Well-Known Member

Jun 19, 2007
    Houston, Texas
    Well, what ever you told them before got 'documented' as it is.

You should endeavor to correct the error.

It you want them to take some action, you kinda need to play the game their way...

Wait 'til M-F business hours for best results (imo).

-KP

Last edited: Jun 2, 2019
    jrtroo and CloudAtlas like this.
  3. Jun 2, 2019 #3 of 28
    spatula

spatula Member

Mar 31, 2014
    San Mateo,...
    I never told them frequencies had changed; that's the thing. Nobody did. Nobody could have, because they have NOT changed. They made it up. That's what's so infuriating about their behavior.

4. Jun 2, 2019 #4 of 28
    ajwees41

ajwees41 Well-Known Member

May 7, 2006
    Omaha,NE
    did you chat? try calling

5. Jun 2, 2019 #5 of 28
    rpj22

rpj22 Active Member

Mar 26, 2016
    SoCal
    I think you underestimate what poor English comprehension many people have. There are countless born and raised U.S. residents who routinely don't process any modifiers in a sentence, who remember speculation as an absolute statement of fact, and who even remember the noun of one sentence as going with the verb of another sentence. Basically, they can't parse any sentence much more complicated than "See Spot run." If you said something in your conversation like, "Even though none of the frequencies had changed, I did a re-scan anyway" it is entirely possible for some idiot, on any given day, to remember that as a statement that the frequencies DID change.

randyb359, jrtroo, sakaike and 2 others like this.
  6. Jun 2, 2019 #6 of 28
    spatula

spatula Member

Mar 31, 2014
    San Mateo,...
    I first tried calling, then I tried chatting, then I tried Twitter. In all cases, I talked to someone who was an idiot, a liar, or both.

7. Jun 2, 2019 #7 of 28
    jrtroo

jrtroo Chill- its just TV

Feb 4, 2008
    Chicagoland
    Never attribute to malice that which reflects incompetence.

Mikeguy, dianebrat and kpeters59 like this.
  8. Jun 2, 2019 #8 of 28
    spatula

spatula Member

Mar 31, 2014
    San Mateo,...
    In this case it's extremely difficult to tell which it is.

mrsean likes this.
  9. Jun 2, 2019 #9 of 28
    CloudAtlas

CloudAtlas Bryan TCF Club

Oct 29, 2013
    New York, NY
    Yes, everyone’s a liar and stupid. No such thing as a mistake or poorly trained workers. Definitely not that most support people are inexperienced and underpaid and move up and onward ASAP.

I realize you’re currently mad so you get a pass but it’s sad that others are jumping onboard with these attitudes that people are stupid or beneath them.

dianebrat, Megamind and jrtroo like this.
  10. spatula

spatula Member

Mar 31, 2014
    San Mateo,...
    I mean, if someone says something that's provably false which nobody even remotely suggested was true I don't know how else to call that but "lying."

11. waynomo

waynomo My One Time TCF Club

Nov 9, 2002
    Seven...
    I would get another Bolt from someplace with a good return policy and see if that works fine. If it does you have enough info to back up your case.

12. kpeters59

kpeters59 Well-Known Member

Jun 19, 2007
    Houston, Texas
    Maybe they were just wrong?

-KP

compnurd likes this.
  13. dianebrat

dianebrat wait.. I did what? TCF Club

Jul 6, 2002
    boston'ish
    I'm sorry but any possible support I might have given you was lost when you suggested that the reps were lying to you, if you carried even 1 iota of the attitude you've displayed in your title or some of your posts and I were a CS rep I wouldn't be trying very hard to please you.

As others have said, there are language issues, there are training issues, there are issues where the reps can barely follow the troubleshooting scripts they have, but these are low paid off shore reps, the most I would expect from them is answering the phone and answering questions that are in their script, incompetent yes sure, lying? why would they even bother, it's not worth their energy.

The call center and Rovi senior management doesn't care what kind of support you get, and if you get bad enough support that you leave neither the call center or Tivo management cares, that's just the way their business runs.

Megamind and compnurd like this.
  14. Mikeguy

Mikeguy Well-Known Member

Jul 28, 2005
    I have received similar (incompetent) help from HP customer support for my HP Windows laptop, even from supervisors ("sure I'll call you back when your system has rebooted . . . I guarantee it . . . ."--right). The connection there seemed to be the location of the support: off-shore support in India sometimes was borderline, at best--U.S.-based support typically was competent. Even U.S.-based "tech. support" can be faulty: AT&T DSL tech. support tried to get me to adopt a famously-insecure (read: it's in PC Magazine) security protocol for my router--I had to educate the otherwise helpful agent to the issue. The bottom line: it's not just TiVo. ;)

The trick with TiVo off-shore support often seems to be persevering: doing what the support agent's script requires, but also correcting the support agent where she/he is wrong (as with the OP's situation); and then finally getting to the needed result.

kpeters59 likes this.
  15. jrtroo

jrtroo Chill- its just TV

Feb 4, 2008
    Chicagoland
    Never means never, it does mean just when you are angry or upset.

16. dlfl

dlfl Cranky old novice

Jul 6, 2006
    Dayton OH
    @spatula, this thread is a double-post of this one in the Bolt subforum:
    Loss of signal strength, but only on three channels
    in which it is revealed you are trying to troubleshoot your parent's TiVo from 1350 miles away. Assuming a reader wanted to try to help you with troubleshooting, not referring to the other thread, which contains many technical details, means it's a waste of their time.

What did you hope to accomplish by this (other than hyper-emotional venting. --- BTW please spare us)?

Hopefully you understand this forum is independent of TiVo, is not routinely monitored by TiVo, and that our members have no particular influence that could be exerted on TiVo to replace your unit.

Last edited: Jun 3, 2019
    CloudAtlas and JoeKustra like this.
  17. bradleys

bradleys It'll be fine....

Oct 31, 2007
    I am trying to figure out why you think the problem is a defective device...

None of this makes any sense.

Explain the issue you are experiencing and maybe we can help you determine the cause - from your post it seems like you have a pre-conclusion.

jrtroo likes this.
  18. jazzy01

jazzy01 New Member

Apr 11, 2007
    Northern AZ

19. jazzy01

jazzy01 New Member

Apr 11, 2007
    Northern AZ
    spatula likes this.
  20. spatula

spatula Member

Mar 31, 2014
    San Mateo,...
    I wasn't "suggesting" it. They DID lie. This isn't a suggestion. This is a fact. They added something to the case notes that was irrefutably false. My tolerance of being lied to is about zero. I find it insulting to my intelligence.

No, it isn't. That's a thread in which extensive troubleshooting was discussed, which led to the ultimate conclusion that there's something jacked with their TiVo. This thread is "how do I get TiVo to actually do something about it now, given their customer service is such garbage?"

Because that was discussed in a different thread (see above). I'm well beyond determining that this device failed. The next thing that failed was TiVo customer service, which is almost the worst I've ever experienced.

The good news is that after contacting them the fourth time, and just repeatedly insisting that they RMA the unit, and refusing to play their stupid games anymore, they finally relented and decided they could honor their warranty (which they referred to as a "one-time courtesy replacement" rather than calling it what it is). My parents now have a replacement unit at their place ready to set up this weekend, and this thread is now obsolete.

My best guess is that TiVo customer service / tech support reps are in some way incentivized never to replace equipment, no matter what, no matter how many signs point to the equipment having failed.