How to burn TiVo to DVD?

Discussion in 'TiVo Home Media Features & TiVoToGo' started by butter1093, Dec 24, 2009.

1. butter1093

butter1093 New Member

Dec 17, 2009

Advertisements

I had lots of TiVo shows, i used Tivo desktop software to transfer them to my pc successfully, but now i don't know how to go on? I searched on google, and found some guides tell me to convert, like using DirectShow Dump, yep, i converted it succesfully, but now, what should i do to burn them to DVD? I found some DVD burners from this guide: Burn tivo to DVD.
    Very detailed, but i don't know how to use them, and which is better for me to burn my TiVo recordings?

2. steve614

steve614 what ru lookin at?

May 1, 2006
    Dallas, TX
    Hopefully, others will offer some free solutions, but let me suggest VideoReDo TV Suite.
    http://www.videoredo.com/en/ProductTVS.htm

If you plan to do a lot of archiving from your Tivo files to DVD, this is the easiest way to do it and it works directly with Tivo files, no need to convert them first.
    You can see for yourself with the free 15 day trial. Just be sure and request a trial key.
    Bonus: you can edit out the commercials.
    That alone makes it worth the cost to me. :)

ETA: Their customer support is above par (they have a forum similar to this one), and they constantly work on fixing bugs and improving the product.

3. butter1093

butter1093 New Member

Dec 17, 2009
    I download it, but it is too complicated to use, when i imported TiVo shows to it, some couldn't be loaded, and i can only see one file in the main interface, i don't know why?

4. robustiano

robustiano New Member

Dec 4, 2009
    Lansing,...
    :rolleyes:I just purchased Roxio Creator 2010 it is very easy to use it will also convert to your portable, go on e-bay and you should be able to get it for about $30.00

5. msmart

msmart New Member

Jan 2, 2007

Advertisements

Complicated??? I don't think so. But with any program, there is a learning curve. You just have to play with it a little while. Or better yet, look through the Help > Contents > Authoring and Burning a DVD help file.

I've never had a problem loading TiVo files. However, some shows need to be run through QuickStream Fix... to fix timecode issues (I use TVAP to do this automatically on all files). Only one file will be seen in the main interface. That's the way it works. If you're going to burn more than one file, look in DVD > Edit list of DVD titles to see all the files that will be included in the DVD when you burn it.

I use VRD/TVS exclusively to burn my TiVo files to DVD but before VRD had a burning feature, I used to use DVDStyler, an excellent, free, DVD authoring application.

6. Dan203

Dan203 Super Moderator Staff Member TCF Club

Apr 17, 2000
    Nevada
    Hi, I'm Dan and I actually work as a programmer for VideoReDo. I'd like to know about the problems you had loading some of the TiVo files. What exactly was the problem. Did you get an error message? Did they look corrupt? Something else? I can also help walk you through the process of creating DVDs from .tivo files in VideoReDo if you're willing to learn.

If you'd rather discuss this via PM feel free to send me one. Or you can email me at support @ videoredo.com as well. (use "ATTN:DanH" as the subject)

Dan

7. Phantom Gremlin

Phantom Gremlin Active Member

Jun 20, 2002
    Tualatin,...
    Ha ha. I was amused by how the forum software turned your subject into a smiley of sorts. I wonder if there is any way to prevent that? Perhaps you should say ATTN: DanH (two words).

8. SNJpage1

SNJpage1 Well-Known Member TCF Club

May 25, 2006
    Atlantic...
    For $79 you can buy a dvd recorder that connects to the output of the tivo and make DVD's that way. Only problem it is done in real time so a 2 hr movie will take 2 hours to burn to a DVD.

9. tootal2

tootal2 Active Member

Oct 14, 2005
    Use video redo tv. Make sure you set deinterlace to bob or the dvds wont look to good.

also a dvd recorder will not make wide screen dvds so its not worth using.

10. butter1093

butter1093 New Member

Dec 17, 2009
    Thanks for the information, i have tried other programs introduced from the guide: http://www.my-video-converter.com/burn_tivo_to_dvd_convert_tivo_to_dvd_copy_tivo_to_dvd/
    And for i have a Nero 8, i use freeware DirectShow Dump to convert it and import to Nero, and get my data DVD. I'm not good at burning DVD.

VideoReDo is good program, but the trial version is not so convenient to me. I finally got the tivo shows in it. But I just want to take some images. But the capture pictures funcition is not available in the interface. And other problem is that the editing function is not my favorite mode. And Dan203, thanks for your reply. Maybe next time i could choose it.

11. steve614

steve614 what ru lookin at?

May 1, 2006
    Dallas, TX
    To capture an image in VideoReDo, pause on the image you want to save, then go to ''Edit'' in the menu bar. In there is an option to capture a single frame.

As far as the editing function, you have two choices.
    One is "cut" mode, where the scenes you select are eliminated.
    The other is "scene" mode, where the scenes you select are saved.
    You choose between the two by going to "Tools" in the menu bar and select "options". Under "General parameters" you'll find the option to choose between the two.

12. butter1093

butter1093 New Member

Dec 17, 2009
    Thanks for your kindly reply, but personally i like to use the trim function which can drag the processing bar, that is convenient. I also download a program like this Video Converter in the article, the trim function is more convernient. But unfortunately, it is just a video converter, not a dvd burner. I just want a more easy-to-use DVD burner with easy-to-use converter and editor. Am I a demanding guy, so annoying?

13. Phantom Gremlin

Phantom Gremlin Active Member

Jun 20, 2002
    Tualatin,...
    Well, what do you mean by "wide screen"? Do you mean anamorphic widescreen as defined by Wikipedia? If so, I don't want people to get the wrong impression. It's not as bad as your blanket statement makes it out to be.

When the TiVo HD is outputting an HD signal, it is also outputting the same image (in reduced quality) on the S-Video outputs. If you display this S-Video at 4:3, it appears "squeezed". So it's operating very much like an "anamorphic widescreen" DVD. However, my DVD recorder won't output "widescreen signalling". So I must manually place my TV into 16:9 mode. When I do that, I see the same "widescreen" that I do when directly viewing a TiVo HD output.

The result is not HD (because of S-Video quality limitations), but it's not half bad. My Panasonic DVD recorder has no problem recording and playing back the "squeezed" S-Video. I've recorded a number of HD programs on my DVR and they don't look bad at all.

14. nyy574

nyy574 New Member

Dec 29, 2009
    I have looked through these forums a lot and I think I have come up with the simplest way to burn your Tivo files to DVD, using all free software. I am not a technical person, so I hope this helps. I have successfully transferred shows many times with this method:

1) Transfer the show to your computer using Tivo Desktop 2.8 software.

2) Run the resulting .tivo file through DirectShow Dump Utility. Search these forums for a link to the software. This makes it an mpeg file.

3) Finally, I burn it to DVD using DVD Flick, a free program (dvdflick.net).

If you need to edit any programs, like taking out commercials or removing extra portions, do this in Windows MovieMaker after you've run the file through DirectShow. Save that new file as a .wmv file and burn it with DVD Flick. I've had some audio issues trying to burn it with MovieMaker, but DVD Flick works fine.

Hope this helps.

15. orangeboy

orangeboy yes, I AM orangeboy!

Apr 19, 2004
    East Moline, IL
    Better be careful posting the same message 6 times. I believe it is frowned on by the moderators here...

16. butter1093

butter1093 New Member

Dec 17, 2009
    The tivo shows burned to dvd have lots of ads, i don't want to trim them one by one as my friend said, any good idea?

17. orangeboy

orangeboy yes, I AM orangeboy!

Apr 19, 2004
    East Moline, IL
    kmttg.

18. butter1093

butter1093 New Member

Dec 17, 2009
    You just leave a word kmttg, which let me feel confused, searching on line, quote from line: Kmttg is a free Java based tool that will facilitate TivoToGo (TTG) transfers that can download, create pyTivo metadata, run and decrypt comskip/comcut (commercial detection and removal), create closed captions files and re-encode multiple shows you select from your Tivos all automatically.

Did not see any things about cutting ads, i download the zip, how to deal with it later, i don't know? Sorry for my stupied quesiton. Is this tool easy for using than some editng software?

Another sharing, i have purchase the video converter said in the guide, it is amazing, i can convert my tivo shows to mpeg with high quality for editing in adobe and cut the ads, but it is still some or less time-consuming.
    Yesterday, i convert my favoriate tv shows about American Idol to my iPod. So happy, i can listen everywhere now.

19. emp

emp Member

Feb 11, 2005
    ?

20. butter1093

butter1093 New Member

Dec 17, 2009
    I mean that I don't see any useful information of cutting or trimming function in the software kmttg.