How to block updates?

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by Darkstep, Dec 3, 2019 at 10:40 PM.

1. Darkstep

Darkstep New Member

Tuesday
    Hello,

Anyone know how to block updates for a Tivo bolt?

I'm using the old interface with PyTivo. But, every time tivo pushes out an update I can no longer see "Devices" and can't transfer stuff from my PC with PyTivo.
    I am forced to upgrade to the new interface and then downgrade again to make it work.
    It's a slow process which takes a couple of hours. It also sucks because I loose all my recordings and have to choose all of my channels again.

So which servers (IPs?) do I have to block in my router settings to block updates from Tivo?
    Hopefully they aren't the same servers which supply guide info.

Thanks in advance.

JKR123 likes this.
  2. kpeters59

kpeters59 Well-Known Member

Jun 19, 2007
    Houston, Texas
    I don't have an answer about blocking Updates, except it's probably not possible. It ought not force an upgrade, anyway.

But, you can back up your OnePasses and Channels List with KMTTG, which then makes 'recovery' much more straight forward.

-KP

3. KevTech

KevTech Active Member

Apr 15, 2014
    Have you tried contacting Tivo and explain you want your Tivo to stay on TE3?

Once they have the TSN they may be able to set it to stay on TE3.

4. Mikeguy

Mikeguy Well-Known Member

Jul 28, 2005
    A TE3 TiVo box should stay on TE3, and should not move to TE4 absent positive steps having been taken by the user.

5. Darkstep

Darkstep New Member

Tuesday
    It stays on TE3, but things like the App listing and channel lineup are updated.
    At this point I can no longer access my PC using PyTivo.
    Sorry about the confusion.
    The only time the Tivo is on TE4 is after I upgrade to TE4 and then downgrade to TE3 again as stated previously.
    This is the only way I can my the PyTivo connection work again.

6. ajwees41

ajwees41 Well-Known Member

May 7, 2006
    Omaha,NE

in what way are they updated?

7. Mikeguy

Jul 28, 2005
    If you haven't explored it, it may pay to look at pyTivo Desktop. Has worked like a charm for me, through TE3 updates, etc.

8. Darkstep

Darkstep New Member

Tuesday
    That's what I'm using.

9. UCLABB

UCLABB Well-Known Member

May 29, 2012
    Riverside, CA
    your problem has nothing to do with updates. There has been only one update to TE3 in the last year or more. And, that update caused no issue with Pytivo desktop.

When you start up pytivo desktop, does it see your TiVo? If not, you may need to do some rebooting. (You do know that your PC has to be on and running pytivo desktop when you try transfer to your TiVo, right?)

10. Darkstep

Darkstep New Member

Tuesday
    Yes, I can see the contents of the Tivo from PyTivo desktop.
    I can also download stuff from the Tivo no problem.
    I just can't push stuff to the Tivo; the devices option disappears from the main Tivo menu.
    I've also disabled the firewall on my desktop.
    I'm aware the PC needs to be on and running in order to download files from it ;)

Thanks in advance for any help.

11. Mikeguy

Jul 28, 2005
    Ah, there's the answer.

TiVo eliminated the architecture needed to support push transfers a few years back. Instead, you need to pull, which TiVo hasn't impeded. And so, to pull a show to your TiVo box, you would go to its My Shows list, and towards the Bottom (or through accessing the My Shows Devices selection), you should find your PC and its shares folder (of course, with pyTivo running), and then can enter it and select what you want to pull over.

NorthAlabama likes this.
  12. UCLABB

UCLABB Well-Known Member

May 29, 2012
    Riverside, CA
    I think he meant pull. Reading carefully he says that he can’t see pytivo in the device category ON HIS TIVO. I don’t have that category enabled, so I’m not positive it shows up there, but I’ll assume it does as it apparently did in the past for the OP.

To the OP: does pytivo show up at the bottom of your MyShows list? If so go to that and transfer the desired shows. If not reboot everything. Turn power off to everything and repower from the beginning of your net, the router.

13. Dan203

Dan203 Super Moderator Staff Member TCF Club

Apr 17, 2000
    Nevada
    You shouldn't need to do that. It's likely just network confusion. Rebooting everything should get it all talking again.

kpeters59 likes this.
  14. Darkstep

Darkstep New Member

Tuesday
    You are right... I meant that I can't pull things from my Tivo from my PC.
    The "Devices" option under "My Shows" disappears.
    I've tried rebooted everything and it still doesn't work.. my modem, router, Tivo, PC.
    The only thing that works is upgrading to TE4 and then downgrading to TE3 again which is pretty painful.

15. Mikeguy

Jul 28, 2005
    How about if you go to the bottom of the My Shows shows listing--can you get to your PC/video share that way?